Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StormCatcher.77

Doomworld Mega Project 2017 (Final)

Dragonfly said:

All your base are belong to us isn't an unknown meme? Or am I showing my age here..?

Uhm.. is the only much more well known meme thing i put in that map, expect for some others that can be only understable from Italians or weeb...

also, i know there's stiil time until the end of the year, but there's only 3 maps? I've expected much more, but eh, whatever.

Most people don't speedmap and many of us are adults who have busy lives. I for one just happened to have a lot of spare time after work for a couple of weeks allowing me to make the map :)

Oh I'm working on my map but it will probably take a couple more months. Ideas are in short supply so I can't really be productive for more than an hour at a time. And let me tell you what I did today: Switched out a couple of monsters, added some detailing on the stairs and made a turret Cyber lower with a switch. Yeah.

walter confalonieri said:

also, i know there's stiil time until the end of the year, but there's only 3 maps? I've expected much more, but eh, whatever.

The number of submitted maps always seems to grow faster than linearly (I'd say, maybe almost exponentially) as the year progresses. Expect the greatest number of maps be submitted in December. :)

I'm experimenting with GZDoom for my map for this project but progress is slow because my other WAD project is getting in the way and some of my ideas aren't fully working yet. I'll have it done by the end of the year though.

I've had an idea for a singular-themed map tumbling around my head for the last year or so, and this seems like as good an excuse as any to actually make the damn thing!

I put a good few hours into it today and I'm going to push myself to finish it within the next two or three weeks.

Can we use this thread of gathering feedback on maps to improve them, or should we preserve it for finished articles only?

I'm pretty sure it's cool to use it as a feedback receiving location. Just let people know your map is a WIP and it should be fine! :P

It's entirely up to you how hard you will make your map, and it's impossible to tell how much will players like it until you make and release it.

scifista42 said:

It's entirely up to you how hard you will make your map, and it's impossible to tell how much will players like it until you make and release it.

On the other hand, given this is a community effort, isn't there logic is at least aiming for a little consistency with difficulty?

It'd be a shame if there was one random ultra-hard map in the middle that prevented people from reaching the subsequent maps (or burned them out before they got there).

Or in practice do people just idclev their way around the maps anyway?

I'm still not very good, but if maps will be accepted regardless of quality, I guess I'll try to make one.

Bauul said:

random ultra-hard map in the middle

I'm pretty sure the final WADs will be prepared so that the difficulty is progressive.

Bauul said:

Or in practice do people just idclev their way around the maps anyway?

I almost never do this, I play through each map in a megawad unless the current level really is awful, and even then, I usually save first then just noclip through to the exit to at least see if the map looked like it will improve. :)

CrazyDoomguy said:

How hard should my map? Like Scythe? I want, that players interested my map too.

About as hard as DMP2016 map19. ;) But seriously, make UV as hard as you want but implement lower difficulties to make it playable for people who want a more relaxed experience.

If this year won't have a HUB map like last time, ordering maps by difficulty is a good idea for some kind of logical progression. I'm making a chill adventure map myself.

The geometry of my map is finally done! It's about 3,000 sectors in what is essentially a single room.

I'm both simultaneously proud and slightly sheepish, it's fun to play but not hugely nuanced!

I'm now populating it with enemies, that is taking its sweet time as bar the first handful everything has to be teleported in. It's a lot of triggers to program!

I'll definitely need some feedback on balance when I've finished it, hopefully in the next few days.

Edit:
Quick question: If I want to use custom music for my limit-removing map, how should I handle that? Just save it as D_RUNNIN in the wad and let StormCatcher handle it when the pack gets compiled? That seems to be what the other submissions have done.

Bauul said:

Edit:
Quick question: If I want to use custom music for my limit-removing map, how should I handle that? Just save it as D_RUNNIN in the wad and let StormCatcher handle it when the pack gets compiled?

Yes.

Preview of my spiral shaped gauntlet map. Usually my projects are all poignant and intellectual, but for this I thought it'd be a nice change to just revel in the joy of killing things in large numbers.

I'm about half done with monster placement, and with a bit of luck (and a few more hours motivation) I'll have a playable beta for all you fine people by the end of the (long) weekend!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57713107/blazing.wad

(I hope the link works properly)

Author: Carlos Lastra
Map name: All Guns Blazing

Compatibility: Doom 2 Settings, but there are many sectors.
Playtesting: ZDoom, GZDoom
Allow jumping and\or crouching: Jumping and Crouching are disallowed
Skill settings: Easy, Medium, Hard

Build time: 2 weeks
Tools used: Doom Builder 2 and Slade3

Resources: Doom 2
Music track: D_E1M1

Bugs:
Comments: There are many hitscanners in this map, so the level is a little bit random. Sometimes, it it's hard; sometimes, easier.

I hope you like it!

Good work with classic visuals. It's always nice to see what can give standard textures. Given enough attention for details, including elaborate lighting. Secrets are hidden well. On first try I found only one. If feels like Final Doom map with more good detailing.

First Demo Attempt 9 mins, PrBoom 2.5.1.3

Another strong map in my collection:

- Visuals (3 / 5)
- Detailing (4 / 5)
- Gameplay (3 / 5)
- Atmosphere (3 / 5)
- Difficulty (3 / 5)

- Overall Rating (3 / 5)