• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StormCatcher.77

Doomworld Mega Project 2017 (Final)

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

Admittedly, most of my map is yet to be made, but I already have something:

whoUe3u.png

I actually have a bit more than what's shown in the screenshot. I'm once again making a non-linear map this year.

Nice satellite! Is that done with 3D floors or some properly precise vanilla sector work?

Author: Jjp
Map name: Six Tricks

Compatibility: Boom
Playtesting: PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4 -complevel 9, GZDoom 3.2.3 with Boom compatflags
Allow jumping and/or crouching: No
Skill settings: Yes

Build time: About 10 days
Tools used: SLADE 3.1.1.5

Resources used: none
Music track: D_SHAWN from Doom II

Bugs: The map depends on shootable switches for progression, so if the player runs out of bullets and shells in certain parts of the map, they will be stuck.
Comments: A Boom-compatible map with six gimmicky set pieces that can be done in any order.

Download: dmp2017_jjp.zip (run with cc4falls.wad)

Map is nearly complete. It is also my first (successful) attempt at implementing more than 1000 monsters. And it's a speedmap, made in a matter of hours. Only there is a twist...

Upload will be tomorrow. BWa-hahahahahahahahahaha!

Today I skip my map, that i made 1,5 month. All this time was boring as hell. It was a boring and hellishly monotonous creation of the terrains and rock formations. Yesterday I tried to texture it, and realized that I was waiting for another 1.5 months of hellishly boring texturing. In addition, I will have to learn how to draw normal textures, because the fact that now looks just hellishly ugly. I'm just ashamed to publish it.

dmp-2017-00022951294.jpg

I hope that I will still find the strength to try to create a new map from scratch. Something small.

@Spectre01 I consider it permissible only to correct any mistakes or minor non-global edits (for example, in the balance sheet). Adding new locations\details or replacing them after the deadline will not be possible.

My entry for the project. Don't be scared by the number of monsters. The map can be beaten quick...

Author: Obake

Map name: 1000 in less than 10

Compatibility: Boom (though playing with GZdoom is recommended. I haven't tested it in strict Boom yet.)

Playtesting: GZdoom Builder

Allow jumping and\or crouching: No

Build time: About seven hours

Tools used: GZDoom Builder, Slade3

Resources: Stock

Music track: "Pyramid of Fear", from the game Zombies Ate My Neighbors, owned by Lucas Arts Entertainment.

Bugs: Brief lag at points.

Comments: A short but highly difficult map. Watch the monster count!

Please let me know what you all think!

Edit: Also, thanks to the Youtuber Prime VGM for the music!

Download: thous.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20171227_115037.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171227_115101.png

Edited by obake

13 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

I hope that I will still find the strength to try to create a new map from scratch. Something small.

I support your quest for a small map. That way you'll have a map in your own project.

Remember, American McGee made Dead Simple overnight. So it can be done. Your map doesn't need to be the next Hell Revealed/Deus Vult/Eternal Doom epic. Something simple, clean, and fun is perfectly alright to aim for (in my mind). This is a message I need to remind myself.

Good luck!

16 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

On the other hand, that map looks way too fascinating to just get rid of.

Why not make it the secret map?  Just spawn a Cyberdemon in one corner and boom - job's done!

Author: TheOrganGrinder

Map name: Putrid Hollow

Compatibility: limit removing

Playtesting: ZDoom 2.8pre-1701-gd786148 64-bit

Allow jumping and\or crouching: no

Skill settings: implemented, under adjustment as of 27/12/2017

Build time: roughly two months

Tools used: Doom Builder version 2.1.2.1553

Resources: cc4falls.wad as provided for the Doomworls Mega Project 2017

Music track: intended to be played with "In the Dark" (D_THE_DA), however this isn't currently implemented as I'm not sure whether it's best (or necessary, or permitted) to rip an existing music track from the Doom II IWAD, or if this is something that will be implemented at the compilation stage - @StormCatcher.77, what's youre preference?  The version of the WAD attached currently has no changes to the music but can be tested with the intended track using IDMUS06.

Bugs: none known, however I'm still doing a final pass for detailing and alignment, difficult adjustment, and the implementation of teleporting monsters - there are landing spots for some/most of the intended traps but no waiting rooms full of monters to supply them.  My intention is to have these added tomorrow or on Friday but I wanted to get a preliminary version uploaded as soon as possible.

Comments: a small-to-medium cavern map and my first released level :)

NEW download 29/12/2017: togputr2.wad

Download: TOGputrd.wad

Spoiler

38463866765_55d4b3322f_b.jpg

38463866865_1ab6465295_b.jpg

38633826104_b0d819d050_b.jpg

38463866245_86e8fed63e_b.jpg

Edited by TheOrganGrinder : Revised WAD uploaded

I had a map completed for this months ago, but it seems the laptop I stored it on has shit out. Maybe I'll put it in DMP2018.

Correction: I have the map, complete and ready. I just have no means to rename the textures/flats

@TheOrganGrinder When I compile wad I will point the desired track to MAPINFO (if I do not forget it).

By the way, I had a couple of questions on how to build the project. At this stage it is important for me to know your opinion.

The first question on the compatibility of wad with Boom. I have an idea to name the levels in the style of ExMx, in order to divide all the maps into episodes (Vanilla, Limit-removing, Boom, GZDoom). As I understand, compatibility with Boom will be lost, but it will be easier for me to navigate. I can start the compile without waiting for the release of all the maps (before the deadline), and the others are added as they are received, so the final release will be faster.

The second point is the forced removal of the entire inventory of the player (except the fist and the pistol), each time he completes the map and returns to the hub. Is it worth doing this? As it seems to me, this will allow player to feel every map as the author intended it.

Edited by StormCatcher.77

I think it's important that the non-GZDoom maps can be played in PRBoom+, especially if that's what the author used for testing their map or intended it to be played in.

Clearing the inventory would be a nice feature to have, if possible. At least to save the player the hassle of idclev'ing after every map.

Edit: Another idea regarding map order: I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but... Instead of arranging the maps based on submission date like DMP2016, have them loosely scale up based on difficulty. For the hub map, you can have the maps under normal, hard, and very hard sections so that the player has some idea of what they're getting into. 

Edited by Spectre01

13 hours ago, obake said:

My entry for the project. Don't be scared by the number of monsters. The map can be beaten quick...

Author: Obake

Map name: 1000 in less than 10

Compatibility: Boom (though playing with GZdoom is recommended. I haven't tested it in strict Boom yet.)

Playtesting: GZdoom Builder

Allow jumping and\or crouching: No

Build time: About seven hours

Tools used: GZDoom Builder, Slade3

Resources: Stock

Music track: "Pyramid of Fear", from the game Zombies Ate My Neighbors, owned by Lucas Arts Entertainment.

Bugs: Brief lag at points.

Comments: A short but highly difficult map. Watch the monster count!

Please let me know what you all think!

Edit: Also, thanks to the Youtuber Prime VGM for the music!

Download: thous.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20171227_115037.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171227_115101.png

I tested your level with Boom. The only thing that should be changed is that the music patch "ZOMBIES" should be renamed to "D_RUNNIN" (without that, the music that you chose would not work with Boom).

compatibility

The compilation should be made such that every map in the compilation would remain playable in every port that the map was compatible with when it was standalone.

forced removal of the entire inventory of the player

I'm generally not a fan of being unable to choose playing continuously. That said, if there is a hub map, I admit it would make sense. In ports that can't have a hub map, better don't try anything like that.

10 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

the hub map is already done.

I think you should have waited with even starting it until after the deadline, as the number of maps yet to be received is indefinite and I expect it to be higher than you seem to expect, but whatever.

Maps will be divided by port type.

Yes, primarily by port type, but maps within each port type category need to be ordered by another criterion, and...

13 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Instead of arranging the maps based on submission date like DMP2016, have them loosely scale up based on difficulty.

This would be my preferred way to deal with the possibility of continuous playthrough in ports that can't have a hub map.

13 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

For the hub map, you can have the maps under normal, hard, and very hard sections so that the player has some idea of what they're getting into. 

@Spectre01 Alas, the hub map is already done. Maps will be divided by port type. Now there is not enough time to rework. Cleaning the inventory will be possible only in GZDoom. 

I started writing this reply before @scifista42 chimed in with his thoughts. All I was going to say was, if you're going to have a hub map broken up by port type, then it makes sense to me to have the maps within each port type scale by difficulty.

Yes, difficulty is subjective, but perhaps have some sort of rudimentary metric (enemy type and hitpoints vs. ammo and health available, etc.) so you at least can evaluate all the levels on an even playing field and sort them that way.

11 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I tested your level with Boom. The only thing that should be changed is that the music patch "ZOMBIES" should be renamed to "D_RUNNIN" (without that, the music that you chose would not work with Boom).

Thanks for the input. I'll change it right away.

Revised version: thous2.zip

Tomorrow I'll upload one last version, with improved lighting.

Edited by obake

The hub has a symmetrical and module structure, that can easily be expanded for new maps. But in it is not obvious where the "easy" or "hard" maps begin. I have an idea not to sort the maps by difficulty, but simply to specify it in a text message. In the hub, when the player approaches the portal, appers text with the author and name of the map. There really add a footnote with difficulty (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane). Player can choose in the hub, but in boom all maps will follow in order of their release. To me, to understand, I'll have to go through all the maps again. This all can significantly brake the final release.

As @scifista42 said, I will save compatibility with all ports.

I think if sorting maps by difficulty is critical for the community, it's worthwhile not to miss the moment, and create such a rule for the next DMP. Let the authors of maps, in addition to other map data, indicate map difficulty. This could save time when the project is finalized...

....and let them creates portal thumbnails for the hub too :P

So I made an executive decision to not edit my map due to the lack of time because I've been pretty busy in RL.

Honestly just going to let it be what its gonna be.  

Okay, new version of the WAD, thing and difficulty balance has been tweaked and the teleport traps are now functional along with some texture alignment adjustments: togputr2.wad

@StormCatcher.77, I don't have any experience compiling WADs so my answer to the question you've posed above is "whatever best preserves intended compatability, then whatever's easiest for you."  Sorry that I can't be more specific or helpful!

@marxr This day I'll wake up and ... that's all. I will not do anything at all: 3. In the days that follow, I will already be engaged in compiling the project. If there is no problem with this, that release will take place in the first 2 weeks of January.