Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StormCatcher.77

Doomworld Mega Project 2017 (Final)

I am certainly Interested. Hopefully I can create a map for this sometime in 2017.

So WFALL is OK without a prefix? Which WFALL should we use? There are various versions floating around, i.e. the one in Requiem is different from the one in Plutonia.

^ I'd argue including the plutonia one, if only because it's the closest to an 'official' waterfall.

Also mark me down as 'probably interested'. :)

Dragonfly said:

^ I'd argue including the plutonia one, if only because it's the closest to an 'official' waterfall.

But the cc4 one looks better. :)

Memfis said:

So WFALL is OK without a prefix?

The prefix is mandatory. I specified it in the rules. Selection of WFALL texture is not limited, but they certainly need to be renamed with the prefix.

Example: S77FALL1, S77FALL2, ... or any other name with prefix.

Although, this may give rise to many of the same textures ...
There are proposals on the role of common to all WFALL pack?

If not, I will point out in the rules of use WFALLs from last project: cc4falls.zip

The point of using WFALL is that it's a hardcoded animation that already works even in vanilla. So many people will want to have it probably.

I think cc4falls should work fine.

Download: Castle of Fun [Boom]

Author: Memfis
Map name: Castle of Fun

Compatibility: Boom
Playtesting: prboom-plus 2.5.1.5.test with -complevel 9
Allow jumping and\or crouching: No
Skill settings: No

Build time: 5 days, a few hours per day
Tools used: GZDoomBuilder (thanks MaxED for all the years, you're our hero), XWE

Resources: Back to Basics, Requiem, GothicTX, Icarus, Kurt Kesler wads, Plutonia, Grievance, TNT: Revilution, The Darkening 2, maybe POST.WAD, maybe also some texture recolor pack?
Music track: Map13 of STRAIN.WAD

Bugs: Monsters can get stuck on ledges because Boom is weird.
Comments: A series of somewhat sadistic scenes around and inside of a castle. A bit generous with health pickups I think so it shouldn't be too hardcore but dunno. I get kinda different experience every time I play this. Btw, I used Boom only because I wanted a custom sky, the map otherwise is completely limit removing.

I challenge scifista42 to not make a space-themed map for this year's edition, should he choose to participate.

Cooking something up...

EDIT: How about Plutonia textures? Would I use the old A- or do I have to use SK6?

Suitepee said:

I challenge scifista42 to not make a space-themed map for this year's edition, should he choose to participate.

Unacceptable! :) It's the theme that I find the most enjoyable to work with. I will still try to work on improving gameplay. The ideal I strive for is making fights such that beating them by conventional playstyle should be practically impossible, but either inventing a clever strategy or having highly over-average skill should enable the player to win with reasonable effort, as a motivation to improve one's skill and/or unconventional thinking, and all of that without the map seeming slaughter-styled by its monster count or density. My maps so far probably didn't succeed to implement this idea much well, though.

By the way, Suitepee, you've apparently been added you to the mapper list in the OP. I recommend you to respond to this (I presume) accident by actually making a map for this year's project. :)

scifista42 said:

By the way, Suitepee, you've apparently been added you to the mapper list in the OP.

I challenge Suitepee to make a hardcore slaughtermap with at least 500 Revenants in it!

Less restrictions compared to the last year's DMP, I'm interested, should be able to pull out better things with those restrictions gone ;).

A question about Sky:

"Sky textures must not replace SKY1 or RSKY1. No custom skies for vanilla maps, mandatory sky transfers for Boom maps and mandatory MAPINFO for ZDoom maps."

Also I can take custom sky for Doom2 format? I want take red sky like this (looks hellish)

uh, yes, just remember to give the prefix to your sky texture and make your map for boom compatible ports and above ports like zdoom and similar.

In boom, remember to put your sky texture with a linedef action 271 for the skybox (divide the linedefe if there's some tagged sky sector), in zdoom and compatible ports put it into your MAPINFO lump something like this:

map map01 "yourmap"
next map02
sky1 0.0 mysky1 0.0

Isn't action 272 actually better? Because 271 makes the sky reversed looking or something like this. Or so I remember.

Memfis said:

Download: Castle of Fun [Boom]

http://i.imgur.com/DM5NIzO.png

Author: Memfis
Map name: Castle of Fun

Compatibility: Boom
Playtesting: prboom-plus 2.5.1.5.test with -complevel 9
Allow jumping and\or crouching: No
Skill settings: No

Build time: 5 days, a few hours per day
Tools used: GZDoomBuilder (thanks MaxED for all the years, you're our hero), XWE

Resources: Back to Basics, Requiem, GothicTX, Icarus, Kurt Kesler wads, Plutonia, Grievance, TNT: Revilution, The Darkening 2, maybe POST.WAD, maybe also some texture recolor pack?
Music track: Map13 of STRAIN.WAD

Bugs: Monsters can get stuck on ledges because Boom is weird.
Comments: A series of somewhat sadistic scenes around and inside of a castle. A bit generous with health pickups I think so it shouldn't be too hardcore but dunno. I get kinda different experience every time I play this. Btw, I used Boom only because I wanted a custom sky, the map otherwise is completely limit removing.

Pretty cool map and track. 100% it pretty easily. I played it on Zdoom and there was a pretty obvious slimetrail somewhere in the cave area toward the end of the map but unfortunately my Zdoom isn't working well right now and I couldn't take a screenshot. Other than that, pretty balanced in terms of ammo/monsters ratio, and definitely fun to play and to look at. I suppose the red key is just for decoration?

That's right SFoZ, the red key is there just for the looks. For some reason I've been using keys as decorations a lot lately. Probably because it seems like a fresh fun idea.

I just tried this map in GZDoom and I think I see what slime trail you're talking about. I'll take care of it, thanks. :)

interested, I'll vanilla the shit out of this. too many idea right now :D