Find results in...
StormCatcher.77

Doomworld Mega Project 2017 (Final)

Here's my entry:

Author: Dan Trim
Map name: Butcher's Hook

Compatibility: Limit removing
Playtesting: Boom, Zdoom
Allow jumping and\or crouching: Nope, but there are no areas where you can break the map by these means
Skill settings: Yes, COOP implemented also

Build time: 15-18hr or so
Tools used: DB2

Resources: Doom2
Music track: 'waiting for Romero to play'

Bugs: None noted
Comments: Been playing a lot of chillax; I've not pulled any punches with this one

get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehhoanbtsskstz8/bhook.wad?dl=1

Updated Eviscerate with some bug fixes as well as some improvements to make clearing map easier and quicker. Modified my original post. Ty for fdas!

dt_
In the first passage, the gameplay seemed a bit stressful. Fight with Berserk is always good. I could not finish the level in the first time, having died not far from the exit, in the arena with Cyberdemons. Do not guess to go into the teleport ... The memory remains scrupulous sectoral lighting. Wonderful classic map.

- Visuals (3 / 5)
- Detailing (3 / 5)
- Gameplay (3 / 5)
- Atmosphere (3 / 5)
- Difficulty (3 / 5)

- Overall Rating (3 / 5)

First Demo Attempt 10 min, PrBoom 2.5.1.3

Killer5
Link updated.

StormCatcher.77 said:

I will be glad to see all your screenshots. Many people have already published their pictures here.

I'll post them after I finish my map along with the info about the map.

I'm interesed in the project, I may come up with an interesting map at some point, i'm just currently practicing in other smaller maps.

Count me into this. I'll try and put something short and sweet together, and try not to bloat the enemy count too much, which I've had a habit of doing in the past.

So is it okay if I have a map with marines as enemies? I plan on mixing those with some demons as well. Also, are 3D floors and other non vanilla elements allowed?

You can use any features that are supported by the port you're mapping for (in your case, probably ZDoom or a derived port), provided that using those features won't replace stock IWAD content or break some of the other explicitly stated project rules (in your case, the features you've mentioned should be OK, as they don't seem to break any rule).

I also finished my map now. I'm not sure if people will like this kind of map in the current year but I was was making it anyway and had fun with it, put in a lot of work and am happy how it turned out so I will be contributing it to the project. :)

Download: (see attached file)

Author: Nate River
Map name: Wolfenfels

Compatibility: Boom
Playtesting: GZDoom 2.3.2, GZDoom 3.2.1, glboom-plus 2.5.1.4
Allow jumping and\or crouching: not allowed
Skill settings: HNTR, HMP and UV are implemented with changes mostly in monster count

Build time: On and off since January
Tools used: GZDoomBuilder, Slade3

Resources: Only stock textures from Doom2
Music track: The Ultimate Challenge by Bobby Prince (D_ULTIMA from Doom2)

Bugs: None that I found with map analysis mode and playtesting
Comments: The idea for this map I got after rewatching playthroughs of Wolf3D and receiving a suggestion to make classic Wolf3D maps with Doom2 resources.
The design is more true to the original even though it's using Doom2 resources and I put in a few homages to memorable parts of the original campaign but also many new ideas to spice things up a bit.
As the map progresses, the difficulty increases with some more unorthodox and trickier encounters towards the end.
The map features lots of optional areas (secret and non-secret) with many useful resources.
So exploration is generally rewarded more than overly cautious and campy play which isn't required even on UV and will - unlike in the original game - in some cases even lead to almost certain death.

Final version (please use this one for the project):

Wolfenfels.zip

Edited by Nate River : updated with link for final version

Nice idea for map i must say, nevertheless map is pretty fun to play. However, after half an hour stereotyp starting to calling me :-). But nice job man

Mr. Trotl said:

Nice idea for map i must say, nevertheless map is pretty fun to play. However, after half an hour stereotyp starting to calling me :-). But nice job man

Nice to hear you had some fun playing it. :D
And yeah the map is relatively long and I tried adding more variety to the encounters towards the end of the map but it's understandable that with the limited design options I gave myself it can feel monotonous after a while.
Maybe taking a break and coming back to it later can help but I certainly don't blame you for that.

Because MAP07's special tag actions don't work in other map slots, and nobody's map can be guaranteed to end up in the MAP07 slot in the final compilation.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vn3pi460l9o7uq/DMP2017 Crunchynut44.wad?dl=0
Author: Glen Christie (Crunchynut44)
Map name: Caustic Canyon

Compatibility: Boom
Playtesting: Zandronum, Pr Boom+ CL9
Allow jumping and\or crouching: not allowed
Skill settings: All, though only balanced properly for UV.

Build time: 1 week
Tools used: Doombuilder 2, Slade.

Resources: Only stock textures from Doom2
Music track: Caustic Canyon by Glen Christie

Bugs: Crashes if played with Vanilla compatibility (confirmed with Choco Doom) due a visiplane error, a couple of visual oddities here and there where there are skybox cut offs. Probably a hundred more that im not aware of, will fix accordingly to feedback.

This map is best played with an explorative mind set, there is plenty of health, ammo, weapons and secrets hidden around but they aren't just handed to the player, so be aware of that. Looking forward to hearing your feedback, enjoy! (plays on map01)

kGAUBcW.png

SYkYp2l.png

nk39AJC.png

Edited by Crunchynut44

I feel like I should show my map progress here. I'm still working on it,but very slowly due college work,tiredness and other life things. 

Here's a little teaser. Really nice not to have the detour over imgur as a hurdle anymore. That always kept me from uploading any screenies at all.

20170314191041_1.jpg

Nate River
It was nice to plunge into Wulf's atmosphere. At first the map seems easy, but there are times when the machine-gun is empty.... ;]

Crunchynut44
Quite a complicated map. Ideally, it would go to Plutonia Experiment. At the first attempt I survived only a minute and was finished off by the revenant. I recorded the demo from the second try. As a result, managed to capture a fairly stressful race from the crowds of monsters.

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.pngSecond Demo Attempt 14 min,  PrBoom 2.5.1.3

MysteriousHaruko
Looks like a pretty classic map with some new textures.

Sure Bowb
Detailing is very encouraging! :D

Edited by StormCatcher.77

Just to let you guys know. Layout is 100 % finished. I just need to add monsters & items but I decided to take a break from mapping. I'm very burnt out on it, so yea. I know that I have time till the end of this year & I'll definitely finish it.