Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StormCatcher.77

Doomworld Mega Project 2017 (Final)

One more screen for this project before I start fix some stuff with custom sky,textures and check if custom colormap affects other wads. 

Hell is ugly place as you can see. 

Untitled56.png

Do not make any adjustments to the PLAYPAL or COLORMAP lumps please, they will definitely affect everyone else's work. If you DO include the change, all levels will need to be tested to see if they're unharmed by the changes.

PLAYPAL lump is the 256 colours selected for the game's display, people often use this to choose nicer blues and the likes.
COLORMAP is the lump that tells the game how to 'darken' each color of that 256 range so the game can handle sector brightness correctly, ranging from 'full brightness' to black. Changing this will likely cause issues in darker areas of other maps, depending on what your COLORMAP looks like. It also controls other things such as invulnerability (which actually is something I would consider changing, since vanilla invulnerability is ugly).

A quick google pulls up the Doom Wiki, in case you wanted to read further into it:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/COLORMAP

17 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Do not make any adjustments to the PLAYPAL or COLORMAP lumps please, they will definitely affect everyone else's work. If you DO include the change, all levels will need to be tested to see if they're unharmed by the changes.

PLAYPAL lump is the 256 colours selected for the game's display, people often use this to choose nicer blues and the likes.
COLORMAP is the lump that tells the game how to 'darken' each color of that 256 range so the game can handle sector brightness correctly, ranging from 'full brightness' to black. Changing this will likely cause issues in darker areas of other maps, depending on what your COLORMAP looks like. It also controls other things such as invulnerability (which actually is something I would consider changing, since vanilla invulnerability is ugly).

A quick google pulls up the Doom Wiki, in case you wanted to read further into it:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/COLORMAP

Well,in my texture pack here are 5 colormap lumps:blue,red,gray,green,yellow. I think,they used for SHAWN variations,teleporters,one gray liquid and lights. Damn,I'm scared now.  EDIT I talked about my test wads,how they will be affected if I reuse that texture pack. 

Edited by MysteriousHaruko

I guess this is alright to post up some progress shots...?

Spoiler

89DeiZm.png

Spoiler

mWxyw3y.png

Edited by Astymine

Yeah, afraid I'm not 100% familiar with Serious Sam, sadly. I'm making the "main paths" of the level before I go on to do the serious decoration and all that fancy jazz. I don't want to be midway of decorating just to realize that I hate how I did a certain part. I'm not 100% how I can do that first beginning part, there aren't really that many outdoorsy maps that I've played that have elaborated on that. To be honest, I kinda want to be inspired by Mega Man/Castlevania. Y'know, a battle before you get into the actual castle itself, unlocking multiple key parts of the castle, and finally having some sort of "final boss" for the map before it ends. I've put quite a bit of thought in how I want certain maps to go, considering how I don't know what slot this will be in.

On 22/3/2017 at 4:15 PM, MysteriousHaruko said:

Well,in my texture pack here are 5 colormap lumps:blue,red,gray,green,yellow. I think,they used for SHAWN variations,teleporters,one gray liquid and lights. Damn,I'm scared now.  EDIT I talked about my test wads,how they will be affected if I reuse that texture pack. 

I guess that you talking about the boom colormaps (see the last section of the doomwiki article linked  by Dragonfly), and they are used to create a sort of colored lighting when you stand inside of a sector that uses the effect. Unless you actually plan to use that special effect don't bother with them, they have nothing to do with the textures recolors you see in your texture pack.

37 minutes ago, gaspe said:

I guess that you talking about the boom colormaps (see the last section of the doomwiki article linked  by Dragonfly), and they are used to create a sort of colored lighting when you stand inside of a sector that uses the effect. Unless you actually plan to use that special effect don't bother with them, they have nothing to do with the textures recolors you see in your texture pack.

Good news. I was really scared. My map is close to vanilla experience and only uses boom transcluency in some parts. It does nothing with special boom features like underwater. I guess,if I remove them,nothing will happen. 

Hmm, a while back, I started working on a map for the dwmp15 called "fortress of misery". ALOT of things happened and I had to cancel it BUT, I decided recently to pick it up and at least release it in a one map format. It will not be as good as I intended it to be (was gonna be a hub like map of sorts) but, I guess it will still be ok. 

Problem is, it includes quite a bunch of custom monsters and the sprites exceed the 1mb limit. Taking them out would require too much work as some are linked to ingame scripts. PLUS, they don't have a 3 character prefix. There is a brand new monster designed by both me (code) and CWolf (sprite edits) though. 

Is this still ok? Or, should I just save it for another project. It's playable and exitable and AFAIK, it does not replace any base content. The textures/flats ALL have a 3 character prefix though. 

I really want to release it someway or another but, I don't think it would be suitable for a sandalone release heh. 

1 hour ago, sauerking said:

Looks like I'm a bit late to the party but oh am I gonna try to contribute.

You're not late, you have about 9 months left. There's plenty of time to do something ;) 

Voltcom9

A short run, which somehow reminded me layout and design of the very-very first user maps for Half-Life. :) This gives the map a kind of charm. The background track is perfectly matched. The use of 3D floors and slopes is very pleasing, but here the duration is quite small. A switch killing a player is not exactly a good gameplay idea. I think this map is a good tryout in the mapping for GZDoom and wish you success in this matter!

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png   First Demo Attempt 4 min, GZDoom 2.4.0

Edited by StormCatcher.77

Author: Gunsmith

Map name: Deviation

Compatibility: GZDoom

Playtesting: GZDoom 2.4.0

Allow jumping and\or crouching: No

Skill settings: Yes

Build time: A month or more

Tools used: GZDB, Slade 3

Resources: Sprites from realm667.com; Textures from cc4-tex.wad

Music track: D_TECHBA by Forty-Two

Bugs: Texture misaligments

Download

dont_touch_dmp2017.png

Author: Scypek2

Map name: Don't touch!

Download: DMP2017_Scypek_v3.zip

Compatibility: Vanilla

Playtesting: Chocolate Doom 1.7.0.0, ZDoom 2.7.9999.0

Allow jumping and\or crouching: No

Skill settings: Yes!

Build time: About one day.

Tools used: DoomBuilder 2, Slade3.

Resources: None

Music track: Nine Inch Nails - Burn

Comments:

This wad features the most unique gameplay I've ever seen in a vanilla mod! (Not that I've played a lot of those) Armed with a plasma gun and an endless energy cell stash, your goal is to kill hordes of demons (higher skill levels = bigger monster variety!) from behind a window. But if a single one gets too close, you're toast! So you need to carefully observe all the pathways, and make sure the coast is clear before you try to step back and resupply your ammo... once you've been fighting for about 90 seconds, you're free - the exit door opens and you may abandon your outpost.

Edited by Scypek2 : The final update wasn't linked in this post until now.

I've found it annoying that the ammo resupply place was separated from the action place by such a tight and curved corridor, that required you to concentrate on precise movements just to navigate it there and back fast enough - I'd prefer if the action was uninterrupted by that kind of side challenge.

5 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Scypek2

It's really hard one. On UV I spent many tries to survive, but unsuccessfully.
Maximum 15 - 20 seconds without saving.

Only 20 seconds? You didn't play like allowing the Archviles to be released and then trying to deal with them, did you? :)

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:25 PM, Voltcom9 said:

Author: Voltcom9
Map name: the Eldritch Construct

Compatibility: (G)ZDoom
Playtesting: GZDoom
Allow jumping and\or crouching: Yes
Skill settings: No

Build time: 2 days
Tools used: SLADE3

OK, So I played this map and I have couple of things to say.

First of all I played it on zandronum, and I dont know why but all the buttons didnt work. I mean, there is an action but no animation.

Second thing, the music, well its not music more like background sound, doesn't feed well in the map, I think if you want to make a map with a dark atmosphere, you should make it with big yards where the player can go and search and a bit of strong monters, and everytime the player will find something he will think twice before grabbing it. Also, put more protection for the keys, when I came close to the keys I was expecting for a deadly trap but nothing really happened, that was kindda disappointing... the demons + Hellknight trap at the end was VERY good, I barely survived it.

And the last thing, I have found a missing texture, next to the ending button

Overall, the map was entertaining to play. :)

Under a technical difficulties, I got to back off from this project. Sorry. 

doom01058xdazrmv.jpg

doom044gn9oqkbr0.jpg

doom03a0y2wu8omc.jpg

Author: CrazyDoomguy
Map name: Graveyard

Download: Graveyard

Compatibility: Boom
Playtesting: TAS and Zdoom
Allow jumping and\or crouching: No jump. Play only classic
Skill settings: Yes

Build time: 4 month
Tools used: Doom Builder 2, SLADE 3

Resources: Doom2

Bugs: None noted
Comments: On UV-MAX some places are really difficult. I hope on ITYTD setting you able pass with less using save and load.

Please check it. After review I can fix something example on difficult setting ITYTD make less monster.

To Stormcather77: I havent removed unused texture because I get some errors... and I cant rename texture too. I hope, you can make that easy. There are no many new textures.