Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StormCatcher.77

Doomworld Mega Project 2017 (Final)

You're getting that error because @CrazyDoomguy didn't 'share' the link, he merely copy-pasted it from the online dropbox client :P

(Edit: Didn't notice a new page had started. My bad!)

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

You're getting that error because @CrazyDoomguy didn't 'share' the link, he merely copy-pasted it from the online dropbox client :P

(Edit: Didn't notice a new page had started. My bad!)

Can you get the files?

No, because they are private on your Dropbox account. If I could that would be a major security flaw in Dropbox. You need to select the file, then select the share option. Typically the last letters within the URL you copy will have ?dl=0

Also, if, when you get that link, you change the 0 into a 1, it skips the 'would you like to download XXXXXX.wad?' page, and just downloads it straight away.

40 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

No, because they are private on your Dropbox account. If I could that would be a major security flaw in Dropbox. You need to select the file, then select the share option. Typically the last letters within the URL you copy will have ?dl=0

Also, if, when you get that link, you change the 0 into a 1, it skips the 'would you like to download XXXXXX.wad?' page, and just downloads it straight away.

Ok here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/te8mbiqlowstmoo/Graveyard.zip?dl=0

Please inform me if you get this file :/

@CrazyDoomguy

This is the first map in the project, which I could not pass without cheating the first time. Demo recording was not saved, because I "accidentally" pressed F10+Y, and GZDoom brings black screen. I had to reboot. For a long time I could not understand where the yellow key was. Perhaps I misunderstood the strategy in the "arena". How all the same there it is necessary to get out right?

17 minutes ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

@CrazyDoomguy

This is the first map in the project, which I could not pass without cheating the first time. Demo recording was not saved, because I "accidentally" pressed F10+Y, and GZDoom brings black screen. I had to reboot. For a long time I could not understand where the yellow key was. Perhaps I misunderstood the strategy in the "arena". How all the same there it is necessary to get out right?

Yellow Key teleport after 5-6 min on this area (on small cube form).

Did tried on easy mod?

unbenanntc741yudxlo.jpg

2 hours ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

Please inform me if you get this file :/

The file is downloadable. :)

Can sound effects be .mp3?

Why can't music be .mp3 or .ogg?

I can work around it either way - just curious. 

Several ports support mp3 and ogg music (and tracker formats like it, mod, and s3m), but far from all of them. I don't know the answer to the mp3 sound effects question, but if any ports support that, it won't be many of them. Many players do frown on mp3 music because of file size, and it is illegal to include copyrighted music in your wad or pk3, so be careful what mp3 you choose.

EDIT: Oh, you are asking about whether it is allowed in this project. The first post said no MP3 or OGG. He didn't say no tracker files, but I'd ask before using one.

Edited by Empyre : realized I was answering the wrong question

The OP says music can't be .mp3. My map is only compatible with GZDoom, which supports the .mp3 format.

Another question: I have lifts that use a basic if/else script. They lower if equal to one and raise of equal to zero. The problem is that if the player stands below the lift (3D Floor) and lowers the lift it will be blocked by the player. If he presses the switch again before the lift touches the ground, it will add to my variable and lower the lift below the ground. When the player pushes the button it will raise from underneath the floor to lowest position. Breaking the lift. 

Is it okay to leave this like this? 

Have a second variable that is called something like 'platformMoving'. Set it to zero or false.

When the script is fired, check if it is set to zero or false. If it is, run the rest of the script. Inside the if statement, ensure you set the variable to true / one. You can use TagWait to delay the script until the platform has stopped moving, at which point you can set it back to zero. The player can then spam the button to their heart's content and will not break your script.

Example code below:

bool scriptRunning = FALSE;
bool upOrDown = FALSE; //False = Down, True = Up.

Script 1 (void) {

if(scriptRunning == FALSE) {
        scriptRunning = TRUE;

if(upOrDown == FALSE) {
            Floor_LowerByValue(1, 8, 128);
            upOrDown = TRUE;
        }
        else {
            Floor_RaiseByValue(1, 8, 128);
            upOrDown = FALSE;
        }

TagWait(1);
        scriptRunning = FALSE;
    }

}

@everennui my feedback below:

- I love the moody atmosphere the weather and doom64 music gives off.

- Given how moody the map is, perhaps lower the light level indoors by 16 or so brightness to make it more dark and ambient.

- The red key door is not labelled

- It wasn't obvious I was supposed to use the mirror :P

- The blue key is just a touch too far into the wall and becomes very difficult to collect

- The 'crate lift' can be broken by getting onto it too quickly. (Click the link for screenshot)

- Ammo is so tight I had to punch out a hell knight, if ammo starved is your goal that's fine, but maybe provide some more pistol ammo and/or a chainsaw at the very least ;)

- Some minor texture / detail issues, see screenshots below

b82a37192f741d82d4853e832170a47d.png

e9f68d7e4260dbb3216c15c9456d3764.png9c2c5b72cd8e6fefea84f66c62b854d0.png

@everennui

I think I fixed your lift. Look at this example. I made it from a piece of your map, where the lift. I hope I understood you correctly.

About the map. The beginning looks good. All the rest, obviously under construction. It seemed to me that the blue key is quite difficult to pick up. Can it make appear somewhere in the room or, for example, right on the dead pinky? And yes, there are not enough ammo ... In general, it is encouraging.

@everennui I assume you are using GZDB. If so:

- Use sectors mode
- drag over the whole map
- Right click on any of the selected sectors
- in the brightness field, you can use math operators. To reduce each sector by 16 brightness, simply type --16. That is, two minus symbols and the number. You can also do this to add (++16), multiply (*2) and divide (/2). You can do this in almost every numerical field in GZDB, such as floor height, ceiling height, brightness etc. Experiment!

I'm looking at these codes. I kind of understand the while one, but not fully yet.

I think the dream is to just have the elevator crush the player. I've looked around, but haven't found anything. Is this doable?

Addendum: I realize that having it stop is a pretty great safety precaution, but it doesn't seem, "Doom" to me.

Thank you @Dragonfly for that lighting trick! Going back and forth between crt and laptop I notice is a huge difference. I tried doing it manually before and it just causes headaches. This worked like a charm! It feels way more dreary now!

I think I'll add a clip of two more pistol ammo, but I really like the sense of forbidding you get when you outright miss with a rocket or otherwise miss a crucial shot. I really think I nailed it so far in the map.

@StormCatcher.77 I agree about the blue key fully. I'll probably uncomment out the code I have in there so that the pinky drops the key again. I just don't know if I should keep both keys in or not. I heard a few people talking about no monster runs once and I don't know what I should do. Do I cater to that?

Edited by everennui

@everennui

I repaired your other lift, of which you spoke for the first time. I just added the "SetLineActivation" function. 77 is the label of the switch line. When the lift moves it just can not be pressed.

Script 3 (void)
{
	if(liftCheck2 == 1)
	{
		SetLineActivation (77, SPAC_None);
		FloorAndCeiling_RaiseByValue(24,16,160);
		TagWait (24);
		SetLineActivation (77, SPAC_Use);
		liftCheck2 = 0;
	}
	else
	{
		SetLineActivation (77, SPAC_None);
		FloorAndCeiling_LowerByValue(24,16,160);
		TagWait (24);
		SetLineActivation (77, SPAC_Use);
		liftCheck2 = 1;
	}
}

I think that those lines are really better to uncomment (to drop blue key), but the line that activates the script 1 needs to be farther away from the wall, so that it always works.

What does SetLineActivation do for the script because it works exactly the same way with just tagwait...?

SetLineActivation is totally deactivating activation method of the linedef of the switch whle the script is active. (Imagine in GZDB un-checking the box that says 'player presses use'.) After the script finishes it runs SetLineActivation again to give the linedef it's activation method back so that the player can use it once again.

@everennui

I tried the script without "SetLineActivation" and it works fine! I overdid it here. :D

Line 77 is no longer necessary. You need only TagWait. The principle is preserved. While the lift moves the button can not be pressed again.

That makes total sense. That might come in handy some day. Thanks! Tagwait is very nice, too. I'm probably a horrible playtester because I never think to try and break things.

I really wish 3D Floors and Polyobjects could crush.

On 1/17/2017 at 4:10 AM, StormCatcher.77 said:

Any map format is allowed.

Count me the fuck in and I'll show you what that UDMF can do.

I wonder...

I know .OGG isn't allowed, but still, is there any chance to use it in map? I hunting for PSX-Doom atmosphere on my map.

@CWolf

I did not allow the use of MP3 and OGG because of the large file size of this formats. There is a midi-cover of the track "The Hangar". I could not find more. I think it's worthwhile searching for tracks that suit the atmosphere in the MOD-music archives.