Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StormCatcher.77

Doomworld Mega Project 2017 (Final)

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

I dabbled with mapping in the mid- to late-90's and then lost touch with it for awhile. For some reason, I happened to look it up again in the last year or so and decided that this was a fun hobby and to try to get back into it. So, thanks for the encouragement.

Out of curiosity have you release anything back then cause I wouldn't mind playing it ;)

1 hour ago, Philnemba said:

Out of curiosity have you release anything back then cause I wouldn't mind playing it ;)

Unfortunately, no.

I had a set of Episode 1 maps that were corrupted after a hard drive crash and a map for E3M7 that I kept tweaking and then finally it got lost, too. If I could find them again, I'd polish them and release them, but as of now, I have nothing in the public domain.

Late review for @Philnemba

Good map overall but few unalligned textures is clearly visible for eyes and more ammo in exit will be good. Map feel little bit empty in my opinion and few more detail vould be nice but i really like the layout and some area and especially the retro feel. Nice job

Honest rating: 7/10

11 minutes ago, Mr. Trotl said:

Late review for @Philnemba

Good map overall but few unalligned textures is clearly visible for eyes and more ammo in exit will be good. Map feel little bit empty in my opinion and few more detail would be nice but i really like the layout and some area and especially the retro feel. Nice job

Honest rating: 7/10

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll eventually look into those unaligned textures & recheck certain areas to see if thing placement needs tweaking.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pnf4qfbf34bmtgq/WADS.rar?dl=0
My map out for testing. I'd like to hear some respond about the gameplay.

Author: HUNdebLeonidasX
Map name: Gun Down the House

Compatibility: Boom
Playtesting: PrBoom 2.5, Gzdoom 3.1
Allow jumping and\or crouching: Not Allowed
Skill settings: desinged to UV

Build time: about 10-12 days plus a few to fix things
Tools used: GzDoom Builder

Resources: A few texture from cc4 text pack.
Music track: Midi version of Teenagers by My Chemical Romance

Bugs: Alert me if you find one (anyway I tried to fix many  i can)
Comments: a small map where Doomguy need to get rid of the invaders in a hidden military dance club.

2017-10-01 (2).png

2017-10-01.png

2017-10-01 (4).png

2017-10-01 (3).png

Edited by HUNdebLeonidasX : Link updated

@HUNdebLeonidasX

Nice party. Despite the presence of heavy opponents, the gameplay does not feel difficult. In general, the atmosphere of the map allows you to relax. You can run past at all some stationary monsters without a fight, for example, two hellknights in the central part of the map. Pleases that the author gives the player a berserk-pack, it very much helps. The only sad moment is that it's not working back teleport in the water channel leading to the location with the blue key (or I just did not find the right way ...). To come back I had to use the cheat. How to pick up a blue key is also not obvious. Perhaps the panel that moves the barrier, it would be worth somehow to highlight in more detail.

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  First Demo Attempt GZDoom 2.4.0, 15 mins

In my collection:

Blue_3_5.png - Visuals (3 / 5)
Blue_3_5.png - Detailing (3 / 5)
Blue_3_5.png - Gameplay (3 / 5)
Blue_3_5.png - Atmosphere (3 / 5)
Orange_3_5.png - Difficulty (3 / 5)

Green_3_5.png - Overall Rating (3 / 5)

The only sad moment is that it's not working back teleport in the water channel leading to the location with the blue key (or I just did not find the right way ...). 

I Will fix that when I get home

Also I'll remove the lift in the Mancubus part because its unecessary

So I grabbed this as a random map to play. Right at the beginning: I was avoiding the HKs on the stage and backed up through the bars into the water. Since there are passageways and doors, I'm guessing I got here too soon and the wrong way.

Edit: jumped out and kept playing. Fell through the bars by the Mancs and again by the Chaingunner.

Edit2: and finally through the BRNSMAL1 bars on the secret.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

On 2/15/2017 at 0:05 PM, CrazyDoomguy said:

Like Scythe?

Did somebody say Scythe? I just happened to make such a map for this project.

Author: Michael Jan Krizik (valkiriforce)

Map name: Scythian Opera

Playtesting: ZDoom

Allow jumping and\or crouching: No

Skill settings: Yes

Build time: Roughly 4 weeks

Tools used: Doom Builder 2, XWE

Resources: Some Scythe resources (the snow textures/flats) and a few others from Ultimate Doom, Plutonia and a couple of my own.

Music track: You Suck from Rise of The Triad

Bugs: Had some occasional slime trails/bleeding textures which have constantly popped-up while making this map, and I've tried hammering it out as best as I can. Might still be some hidden somewhere...

Comments: Started this map as Hurricane Irma was about to hit us. Been working on and off for the following weeks and was a little inspired between the likes of Scythe (duh), Alien Vendetta and Plutonia 2. Felt like making something punishing to mix things up a bit with my mapping style. Been testing this map constantly - hopefully it doesn't have too much or too little ammo for the oppression at hand - it's hard to say when taking multiple routes from the start. Have fun finding the speedrun route!

download

gyZXsVR.png

Ej1wR4r.png

Rpl7fGX.png

10 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

So I grabbed this as a random map to play. Right at the beginning: I was avoiding the HKs on the stage and backed up through the bars into the water. Since there are passageways and doors, I'm guessing I got here too soon and the wrong way.

Edit: jumped out and kept playing. Fell through the bars by the Mancs and again by the Chaingunner.

Edit2: and finally through the BRNSMAL1 bars on the secret.

Idk I usually make theese block the things out but It's just nice how miss them

(Since I always tested it playing through the level fastly so I not noticed these but thank you to tell it)

23 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Scythian Opera

I wanted to play this in prboom-plus but I'm getting HOMs no matter the wad order, I guess because of conflicting TEXTURE1 lumps?

Just tried it out myself, you're right - I'm getting this issue either with my unique textures added or the cc4falls.wad. Definitely must be the conflicting lumps - so I decided to make a pr-boom version that will NOT be used in the project. :)

@valkiriforce

The map is tough enough in terms of gameplay, throw walls of opponents on the player, but not devoid of a research element. To play comfortable enough, due to the fact that it is convenient to maneuver on the map. I remember how I once turned the wrong way, started running through the demons, miraculously hid myself in some kind of grotto and got a missile from Cyberdemon in the back of my head. :) And there are enough moments here. It is better not to stay in an open place for a long time. I'll remember the battle for the yellow key. It was a very intense climb in the intricacies of the stairs, being under constant fire from several Cyberdemons and constantly climbing from everywhere Cacodemons. For the sake of this moment it is worth to go through this map.

I have not yet passed any megawad from the Scythe series, but I think I understand why it is so famous. Perhaps someday I will close this gap.

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  First Demo Attempt - 37 mins, GZDoom 3.2.0

In my Collection:

Blue_4_5.png - Gameplay (4 / 5)
Orange_4_5.png - Difficulty (4 / 5)

18 hours ago, Voltcom9 said:

Version 3 of the Eldritch Construct

Most recent update to my map. The link remains the same.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8kzihc15d6gykp/2017v9.wad?dl=0

I kept getting pinged by somebody from the darkness and I couldn't figure out where he was. Every time I tried to turn on the lights to see (idbehold L), it crashed GZDoom back to desktop (latest dev version). Eldritch indeed. How'd you do that?

6 hours ago, Voltcom9 said:

Cheating is forbidden in my map and punishable by banishment to desktop:) Lol.  I've run this fine while using the idbehold L cheat using GZDoom g3.2.

I have no idea why it crashed.

I figured it out at dinner. I had forgotten I had recently changed my GZDoom renderer from OpenGL to Software and turned off Truecolor mode. Which means I was basically emulating ZDoom. Changing the settings back, it runs fine. It's still odd. I've had ZDoom crash because of scripting or unsupported advanced functions, but not because of lighting. Good thing there's no IR goggles in the map. Information to store away, I guess.

So it's done. At least I wish it does.

Author: Oleg "ArmyKnifeWolf\CWolf" Vovk (yet the persona called CWolf)

Map name: Wrong turn

Playtesting: PrBoom+

Allow jumping and\or crouching: No

Skill settings: they exist, kinda

Build time: have no idea...

Tools used: GZDB only

Resources: Default Doom2.iwad file

Music track: haven't picked one.

Comments: this place is actually abandoned or doesn't exist. It's just an illusion, and you're drunk, go to sleep... right after you'll find the exit.

Screenies:

Spoiler

XCBek7O.png

d6L1PgQ.png

Download at your own risk

Edited by CWolf

Quite a short run, even given the difficult gameplay. Several times I was very close to death. I think if you pass the map without hurry, you can avoid significant damage, especially since there are enough health items on the map. The battle before the exit, of course can be dangerous (but I just ran past ...) For a map created entirely on standard resources it looks great. Somewhat controversial I find a solution in the layout of the map, allowing the player to go to the exit without exploring some of important areas, including missing the super shotgun.

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  First Demo Attempt GZDoom 3.2.0, I forgot duration... it's short ;]

In my collection:

Blue_3_5.png - Gameplay (3 / 5)
Orange_3_5.png - Difficulty (3 / 5)

Hey Storm could you take me off the list? I don't think I can get around to doing a map for this unfortunately. Busy with my own project and lots of other stuff going on. Thanks, and sorry.

Here is my entry to this

Author: Matt "Cannonball" Powell
Map name: A keen eye
Compatibility: limit removing
Playtesting: PrBoom 2.5.4

Build time - Around 5 days
Resources: Stock textures only
Music track: Mesmarine by Mark Klem

Not much here, just a slight gimmick to progression with a lot of secrets and a few optional areas. 

dmpcb17.zip

Here are some screenshots;

dmpcb17 - 1.png   dmpcb17 - 2.png

dmpcb17 - 3.png

Edited by cannonball

Unfortunate i couldn't figure out how to get the YK and ended up with 5/7 secrets. Searching for Keen's was a pleasant change. Absolutely solid map.

@StormCatcher.77

I am withdrawing my map Eviscerate from this project since I think it fits better with slaughtermax. I'll prolly make something a bit more laid back (by my standards) for dmp2017.

@cannonball

It's amazing how a map of this quality can be made in 5 days! Standard textures and new music are 100% working on the atmosphere. The structure of the map has a pronounced research character. Constantly player need to look for hidden switches. The path to the yellow key because of this is not quite obvious. Gameplay is not easy, although I, for the most part, created difficulties for myself. The meeting with Arch-vile took place too early, when my ammunition ran out. Fighting with Cyberdemon in a narrow corridor, I survive only by accident. Alas, I could not leave the level without cheating. A lot of time was spent on empty wandering. As I understood, to open the exit you need to kill all Keens. Apparently, I missed a few ...

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  First Demo Attempt - GZDoom 3.2.0

In my collection:

Blue_2_5.png - Gameplay (2 / 5)
Blue_4_5.png - Atmosphere (4 / 5)
Orange_4_5.png - Difficulty (4 / 5)

@Killer5

Ok, I remove your work from maplist. I'll be waiting a new stuff.

@cannonball

Using GZDoom. Fun. I like the levels and the height differences; seeing secrets and figuring out how to get there; using barrels. I was enjoying myself... until I found the last Keen. Then, HOLY CRAP! Didn't see that coming. Thanks for the BFG.

Two things, one of which may be moot.

Linedef tag 6, the SW1MET2 switch which starts the sequence to get the Yellow Key: the texture is set at y+64, so there is no switch showing. You have to press a blank wall. I found it by accident. Was that intentionally meant to be that hard to find?

Linedef tag 5, the switch which gives access to the Yellow Key platform: you used SW1BRN1, which is incorrectly defined in Doom2, but fine if all you're using are standard textures. Unfortunately, I was playing this with cc4-tex (because when I pulled it from my 'play' folder, I couldn't remember what project it was for). Cc4-tex corrects that switch texture definition, so in game it looked mis-aligned. As I said, this may be moot, unless cc4-tex is added to the project because of other maps. In which case, the texture should probably be changed to SW1BRCOM.

Also have to mention the Cyber fight. After the fight I hit pause and thought about it for awhile. The Cyber is in a narrow corridor which lets him move, but not really let him get far enough away from you to turn and shoot. So if you run away when you see him, you'll die. If you charge him, you'll confuse his AI just long enough to get off two BFG shots in his face and kill him. It makes him a bigger perceived threat than he actually is. Elegant and brilliant design, sir. Hats off to you.