Doomworld Mega Project 2017

@Skeletonpatch Glad to welcome! The main wad of this project is doom2.wad. Do not give up participation. You can take as a basis TNT, and then I'll add the textures and music from it to your map, so that it is compatible with the project. Simply, together with the map release, tell me what kind of music and textures there should be.

Edited by StormCatcher.77

12 minutes ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

@Skeletonpatch Glad to welcome! The main wad of this project is doom2.wad. Do not give up participation. You can take as a basis TNT, and then I'll add the textures and music from it to your map, so that it is compatible with the project. Simply, together with the map release, tell me what kind of music and textures there should be.

Ok, I've already started the map and have a pretty basic idea as of what I want to accomplish. Hopefully I can pull it off.

On 1/31/2017 at 7:20 AM, Dragonfly said:

My map is finished! It's a small-medium sized map for GZDoom.

The map is called Integrity. [DOWNLOAD]

0dbd4b872261c92ce9553dd2fedc2136.png
81a6440a2b75233d07100c01aae4c6fa.jpg
e91a9edf53753976abfb8a697f4c9ba3.png
87a1202f7a5fb90e78eedd6a6243edfb.jpg
ec47145ccc6f562e3d73ae29a00c4c08.jpg
37c6159b6c292cf877b1229c3d7bdee4.jpg
7e4256591ec848d16e142f3b07017256.jpg
8e92b872473b9a8e98e9795830d1cce6.jpg

Credit information (also included in pk3):

Reveal hidden contents

MAPPING
Joshua 'Dragonfly' O'Sullivan
- Build Time: Around 7 - 10 days?
- Software used: GZDoomBuilder, Slade3
- IWAD: Doom2.wad
- Source Port: GZDoom, latest build recommended as usual

TEXTURES
Black & Green Texture pack by 'Agaures'
CWB Texture Pak 1 by 'Afterglow' & 'Covaro'

MUSIC
Ophidian by 'Jimmy'
Dark Angel by 'Jimmy'

How do you go about accessing the secret where the BFG is located? I tried opening the demo but my GZDoom is g3.2.1 and the demo was recorded with a different version.

2 people like this

I beat Integrity. The bad news is 50% is as high as I could get on the secrets. I scored 100% for the kills and the items. Record for low health = 4.

2 people like this

Sorry for double post. Decided to give speedrunning my map a go, heh.

2 people like this

I'm interested.

Edited by AsianMammoth
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Tindrone said:

How does this look so far

svQVEEf.png

r3cCN0f.png

Very very interesting and nice

Author: Marlamir

Map Name: Welcome to U. A. C.

Compatibility:  Zdoom

Play Testing: Zdoom, GZdoom, Zandronum

Jumping/crouching: not allowed

skill Settings:  Ultra Violence

build time: 3 weeks

Tool Used: GZdoom builder, slade3

Resources: Doom 2 only

Music Track: 

Powerwolf- army of the night(midi instrumental)

Bugs: none (didn't find any)

Comment: here is my entry. Map is not 100% finished because i don't have much time and right now im without laptop and i propably wouldnt be able to finish map in time so i give whats i have. Is from 90-95% finished is just need few small improvements. Is fully playable. Map is set in one of the many u.a.c bases. Are you able to get trough and kick monster asses one more time, show them that this base was the wrong one to invade.

5a1b0009eb3b5_DOOMTouch_2017-11-26-18-20-57.png.85688d93d974a5b399035e4987321182.png5a1b00175e818_DOOMTouch_2017-11-26-18-22-21.png.78f7bbd44c5c18f69537a8b44c3da5d4.png5a1b001d54e14_DOOMTouch_2017-11-26-18-22-37.png.46caeab1fa4effae68b2838e5f377233.png5a1b0021e6e89_DOOMTouch_2017-11-26-18-23-11.png.5c6fb108e756556e74cd312085c6bbac.pngdmp17-marlamir.wad.zip

Have fun,i hope you will enjoy. Srry for english

3 people like this

I liked @cannonball's map. Only this keen frustrated me a little. I noticed the hole immediately but at first I didn't realize that there is a keen inside because it's really hard to see (96 brightness level, and you have to look at it diagonally). Maybe just my stupidity though. Attaching a FDA with lots of wandering around.

dmpcb17_mem_FDA.zip

1 person likes this

@Marlamir

The work leaves in memory an abundance of microdetails and sloped geometry. It pleases, but there are also some disappointing moments. For example, I find most of the locations unreasonably empty. From the very first minutes the player really needs a machine gun, but it falls into his hands rather late. Fortunately, that there is enough ammunition for the shotgun. The level is structurally complex, which pushes player to explore it along and across. It's a shame, looking into the next room, finding there only a couple of monsters and ... that's all. Usually from such places you expect some useful find. And sometimes even at all, entire locations are empty, like an area with a red key. Intuitively you wait for a massive spawn, but the danger is minimal and easy to avoid. I still got a well-detailed, but again, an empty cave hidden behind the flow of acid. Maybe I just forgot to activate something, somewhere? I was completely confused by a switch labeled yellow. I went through the level anew to find the yellow key, but I could not. It's good that I guessed to just use it ... And one more thing. Midi-track is chosen well, but for some reason it sounds quiet.

In general, after the passage there is a feeling that I have been using the early version of the map. In principle, it is technically complete, in terms of geometry and visuals, but the gameplay is slightly undeveloped. Maybe you need to add a few more strokes? :)

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png   First Demo Attempt GZDoom 3.2.0, 22 mins

On 15/10/2017 at 9:31 PM, Voltcom9 said:

Version 3 of the Eldritch Construct

Most recent update to my map. The link remains the same.

WIuj3ku.png

j1eSYJC.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8kzihc15d6gykp/2017v9.wad?dl=0

Resources: One of Mechadon's Skies (Sky 5) from Mechadon's Sky Pack was used
Music track: Jaxxoon R's Dark Ambient Music Track 13

Notes: This short and minimalistic map contains several traps and ambushes. 

+Freelook, jump and crouch are encouraged for this map.

@StormCatcher.77 could you please update the OP to this content. The current map download version of my map is on page 13. Thank you.

Current map link https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8kzihc15d6gykp/2017v9.wad?dl=0

1 person likes this

Author: Sasha
Map name: Stodulki
Compatibility: ZDoom
Playtesting: zdoom versions 2.3 and 2.8.1.
Allow jumping and\or crouching: never mind
Skill settings: yes
Build time: 28 days
Tools used: XWE 1.15, Doom Builder 2
Resources: (list sources of custom textures and sprites)
Music track: music track 31 from MUSREJ1.WAD
Bugs: unknown
Comments: 'sto' is one hundred, 'dulo' is gun barrel

stodulki.zip

2 people like this

Screenshots:

ms3Kqf4.png

DVV4gyl.png

Level name : The Nephilim II
Author(s) : DAZZER
Build time : about 1 Week
Editor(s) used : GZDoombuilder,SLADE 3
Compatibility: G/ZDoom
Music track : some Mayhem song
Playtesting : Tested with GZDoom 3.2.0
Difficulty settings : No
Bugs : If i would know them I would fix them
Author's comments : Really short and mostly easy Map. Just wanted to take part in this with a nice layout and Fun Gameplay.

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/d4idblt1r6yxnsr/thenephilimII.7z

2 people like this

Between school, my new job, and a whole bunch of other factors, it looks like my contribution will have to wait until next year, if a DW community megawad project is planned for next year. I don't have pictures of what I've sketched yet, but this is basically my idea:

Kinda like a sort of boss rush-type level. At the start, you get a chainsaw, a chaingun, and plenty of clips. The next room you enter pits you against two Barons and a small horde of Spectres (there's a secret here: if you examine the walls, you'll find a secret room with a rocket launcher).

After defeating them, you take a lift to a hall (another secret in this hall: there's a walk-through wall, and if you go through it you'll find a plasma rifle with a few cell packs) with a few medikits. You're then faced with 2 doors, both of which lead over a small ledge (so jumping won't work). In one door lies a treasure trove of weapons and ammunition to keep you stocked and ready for the next battle. The other door gives you powerups like Berserk and Invulnerability. Which will you choose?

The next room is something akin to D64's Even Simpler (I think that was the name?), facing Mancubi, Cacodemons, and Arachnotrons. No secrets here.

After this battle, you get a few stimpaks and health bonuses before faced with a small task: to get past a field of acid by traversing narrow pathways (don't worry, if you fall you should be able to reach a teleporter before you die. I plan for the teleporters to be marked by a flashing sector that can be seen when you're on the platforms). Some parts of this section will be wide platforms to allow the player to take a breather. There are no enemies here.

After surviving this, you're awarded with a Soulsphere and some green armor before facing off against a Cyberdemon. A rocket launcher and plenty of ammunition lie around. Careful, though, there will be pillars all around, so aim carefully.

Next, another small hallway with some weapons and ammunition (if you tread lightly here and keep an eye on the walls, you'll find a secret room with a holy grail: specifically, the BFG 9000), before a fight against a Spider Mastermind, with a few Hell Knights to worry about as well.

And that's that. You can find a keycard laying around behind a wall (I plan to make this sort of obvious so the player isn't stuck), opening a door and taking you down a red carpet -- literally! Spectators cheer as you make your way to the podium. To exit the level, simply step onto the podium.

I think it's a really dumb idea, but it's one I've had in the back of my head for a while. I'm new to mapping, so I don't know if I can possibly make it more open-ended and less linear without losing my vision of how I want it to be. I'm trying to add some variety to the geometry I'm drawing out so it's not really boxy like most people's first maps (it might still be a little boxy, but not really entirely square rooms).

1 person likes this

A series of arenas, on which the player is locked, a fairly trivial solution, but not devoid of potential. Makes me think of Serious Sam. But what will the player do if he does not find weapons in the secrets? This can greatly difficult his life. I think that finding secrets is a temporary opportunity to make life easier for a player (with a small amount of ammunition), and when you get to the arena, the player must somehow get more powerful weapons. For example, dodging the cyberdemon's rockets and hiding behind the columns to go to the other side of the arena (where was the cyberdemon) and there to pick up a rocket launcher ... or somehow.

Your concept has significant potential. Make it for the project in any form.

1 person likes this

I found a different community project that I think the map I've started would work better for, so I'm dropping out of this one. I wouldn't be able to make the deadline anyway...

Good luck to you. I hope next year you will join this project again.

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

But what will the player do if he does not find weapons in the secrets?

My idea is that if you don't find a secret with a weapon, it'll likely show up in the main path. For instance, the rocket launcher can either be picked up in the secret room attached to the Baron/Spectre room or it can be picked up during the Cyberdemon fight. The BFG will only be found in a secret, however, because since the map keeps the player stocked on ammo it could make the Cyberdemon or Spider Mastermind bosses way too easy.

I've been experimenting with themes, and so far it's a tossup between being entirely a techbase, entirely Hell-like, or some sort of weird progressive theme where it starts out as a techbase and slowly becomes Hell, with stone bricks and all those weird flesh textures (I'm leaning towards the progressive theme, myself).

EDIT: Also, thanks for your feedback on the idea!

Edited by Pyrolex

On 12/7/2017 at 7:41 AM, Pyrolex said:

Between school, my new job, and a whole bunch of other factors, it looks like my contribution will have to wait until next year, if a DW community megawad project is planned for next year. I don't have pictures of what I've sketched yet, but this is basically my idea:

Kinda like a sort of boss rush-type level. At the start, you get a chainsaw, a chaingun, and plenty of clips. The next room you enter pits you against two Barons and a small horde of Spectres (there's a secret here: if you examine the walls, you'll find a secret room with a rocket launcher).

After defeating them, you take a lift to a hall (another secret in this hall: there's a walk-through wall, and if you go through it you'll find a plasma rifle with a few cell packs) with a few medikits. You're then faced with 2 doors, both of which lead over a small ledge (so jumping won't work). In one door lies a treasure trove of weapons and ammunition to keep you stocked and ready for the next battle. The other door gives you powerups like Berserk and Invulnerability. Which will you choose?

The next room is something akin to D64's Even Simpler (I think that was the name?), facing Mancubi, Cacodemons, and Arachnotrons. No secrets here.

After this battle, you get a few stimpaks and health bonuses before faced with a small task: to get past a field of acid by traversing narrow pathways (don't worry, if you fall you should be able to reach a teleporter before you die. I plan for the teleporters to be marked by a flashing sector that can be seen when you're on the platforms). Some parts of this section will be wide platforms to allow the player to take a breather. There are no enemies here.

After surviving this, you're awarded with a Soulsphere and some green armor before facing off against a Cyberdemon. A rocket launcher and plenty of ammunition lie around. Careful, though, there will be pillars all around, so aim carefully.

Next, another small hallway with some weapons and ammunition (if you tread lightly here and keep an eye on the walls, you'll find a secret room with a holy grail: specifically, the BFG 9000), before a fight against a Spider Mastermind, with a few Hell Knights to worry about as well.

And that's that. You can find a keycard laying around behind a wall (I plan to make this sort of obvious so the player isn't stuck), opening a door and taking you down a red carpet -- literally! Spectators cheer as you make your way to the podium. To exit the level, simply step onto the podium.

I think it's a really dumb idea, but it's one I've had in the back of my head for a while. I'm new to mapping, so I don't know if I can possibly make it more open-ended and less linear without losing my vision of how I want it to be. I'm trying to add some variety to the geometry I'm drawing out so it's not really boxy like most people's first maps (it might still be a little boxy, but not really entirely square rooms).

No idea is dumb until you try it, sound like a good idea to me

I would love to be apart of this!  How do I send in my map??

And sorry for that last question, I just realized to add a zip file...

But I do have another question that might sound noobish haha, but I wanna use a song out of the chillax megawad, but dont know how to convert it to a not mp3 file.  I would love to have my map submitted to this project, but the mp3 is standing in the way of that.  Any suggestions on how to go about this?

1 hour ago, AleksB said:

And sorry for that last question, I just realized to add a zip file...

But I do have another question that might sound noobish haha, but I wanna use a song out of the chillax megawad, but dont know how to convert it to a not mp3 file.  I would love to have my map submitted to this project, but the mp3 is standing in the way of that.  Any suggestions on how to go about this?

My recommendation would be open up Slade and look for a midi file that you like and copy and paste that into your wad file. Then, you save changes.

1 person likes this