Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigDickBzzrak

Texture Extravaganza CP [beta 7 out] [LOOKING FOR SECRET LEVELS!]

Alright, here is update to my map (UAC canal #3, slot 9):

Download

HMP should now be easier than before, especially the final battle. Useless arch-vile before dark room is now chaingunner. Removed some armors and added some health kits etc. Also blue room ambush should now hate players little less. Little polishing here and there..

6 hours ago, StraightGib'nEm said:

Well I got my map done. I would have liked to have done better, but I'm still pretty noob in boom so there's some lighting techniques I should learn. Been playing 1024 lately for inspiration so it's kinda a quicky. Any feedback and criticism is much appreciated. 

Tested in zdoom and prboom with no problems

TexExCP.zip

Reminds me Doom 1  in some places. Probably need more obstacles like tech pillars, barrels? I placed many objects in my map to compensate strict texture usage.

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

Reminds me Doom 1  in some places. Probably need more obstacles like tech pillars, barrels? I placed many objects in my map to compensate strict texture usage.

Thanks for the input riderr. Still working on detail so I'm not quite done there. My main worry is game play. Just hope it's entertaing.

Really not feeling these textures. I've been getting some serious mapper's block in general lately and these textures aren't helping. I'm trying to sketch out ideas but nothing is coming together, partly because I have no idea how to actually draw a level. I actually have no idea what I'm gonna do at all.

Spoiler

Screenshot_1.png.dcb1dc3ce9329baf66c6dbc5df85933f.png

I'm afraid I'm not creative enough to make something that doesn't look like it's straight out of 1994 with these textures :c

Since time is getting pretty tight, I'm gonna give myself ~48 hours to come up with some ideas, start working on a map, and post a status update. If I still can't get anything going by then, I'll just pull out of the project to free up a slot.

Edited by bonnie

45 minutes ago, bonnie said:

Really not feeling these textures. I've been getting some serious mapper's block in general lately and these textures aren't helping. I'm trying to sketch out ideas but nothing is coming together, partly because I have no idea how to actually draw a level. I actually have no idea what I'm gonna do at all.

Hide contents

I'm afraid I'm not creative enough to make something that doesn't look like it's straight out of 1994 with these textures :c

That looks doable for some uac crate facility partially submerged in blood...

@StraightGib'nEm I'm a bad person, sorry, I'll play your map tonight. The screenshots look very good, great job.

@muumi I'll check out the update, thanks.

7 hours ago, bonnie said:

mapper's block

Come on. Unleash your inner Sandy Petersen. You can do it.

(sorry for the double post)

@StraightGib'nEmI'm a much worse person than I thought. :[

ZDoom 2.8.1 FDA attached, eventually I got pissed at my pitiful "Doom skills" and turned on cheats. I am truly, sincerely ashamed.

(play the demo with: zdoom.exe -file texexcp.wad -playdemo mydemo'sname -iwad doom2.wad)

Great map, 9/10. Wonderful little level, really.

Those flesh details looked badass. Also that idea with the platform raised with 2 switches was badass, I liked it a lot. As for the texturing, SLADSKUL is a visually pleasant texture IMO, so the level looks very nice and very greeeeeeen. <3 green

Some remarks are in the demo itself.

Million thanks for contributing, also please accept my apologies for cheating thru your level. :[ :[ :[ :[ :[ :[ :[

Anyway, how would you name the map? Any music? Sky?

str8gibnem-fda-bzzrak.zip

3 hours ago, bzzrak said:

(sorry for the double post)

@StraightGib'nEmI'm a much worse person than I thought. :[

ZDoom 2.8.1 FDA attached, eventually I got pissed at my pitiful "Doom skills" and turned on cheats. I am truly, sincerely ashamed.

(play the demo with: zdoom.exe -file texexcp.wad -playdemo mydemo'sname -iwad doom2.wad)

Great map, 9/10. Wonderful little level, really.

Those flesh details looked badass. Also that idea with the platform raised with 2 switches was badass, I liked it a lot. As for the texturing, SLADSKUL is a visually pleasant texture IMO, so the level looks very nice and very greeeeeeen. <3 green

Some remarks are in the demo itself.

Million thanks for contributing, also please accept my apologies for cheating thru your level. :[ :[ :[ :[ :[ :[ :[

Anyway, how would you name the map? Any music? Sky?

str8gibnem-fda-bzzrak.zip

Hey I really appreciate the feedback. The cheating deal is aight. Helps me gauge the difficulty curve. Yeah I was trying to think of something crafty to do with those flesh walls. Kinda a difficult texture to use in a tech base. I'm more than happy to contribute. Again no worries on the cheats. I'll drop an iddqd myself if need be.

Name- It's Green!

Song- anything will do. I couldn't quite think of anything

Sky- I used episode 2 skybox for inspiration (the one with the buildings). I haven't quite learned all the fancy boom linedef actions yet. In fact if u know of any documentation or anything I would greatly appreciate it.

That's cool.

I remembered one thing about your map. When I opened your WAD up in SLADE, I noticed two almost identical maps in the MAP01 and 12 slots. I played MAP01. Also I noticed two empty DEHACKED lumps.

10 hours ago, StraightGib'nEm said:

Song- anything will do. I couldn't quite think of anything

You said that yourself. :]

10 hours ago, StraightGib'nEm said:

u know of any documentation or anything

The official Boom editing docs, quite well-written IMO. Also be sure to check out boomedit.WAD on the archive.

http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/docs/boomref.html

5 hours ago, bzzrak said:

I remembered one thing about your map. When I opened your WAD up in SLADE, I noticed two almost identical maps in the MAP01 and 12 slots. I played MAP01. Also I noticed two empty DEHACKED lumps.

To recreate this behaviour in GZDoom Builder - create a map, map01. Press F10 to open the code window. Realise you're in boom and not ZDoom format, close window. Save. Press F2, change map name from map01 to map12, save.

GZDoom builder keeps the old map01 as a backup, and by viewing the code window it created a DEHACKED lump.

9 hours ago, bzzrak said:

two almost identical maps

Yeah sorry about that. Map 01 is the correct one. I'll fix it when I get home.

And thanks for the link.

hello friends how many custom skies am I allowed

edit: aw heck yea i can't wait to horribly abuse that privilege and aggressively bend the rules

Edited by bonnie

@Royal_Sir, who has claimed a slot some months ago, but which was taken away due to his long period of inactivity, has triumphantly returned. -1 slot free.

@bonnie, as many as your soul wishes.

edit: I was afraid of that... never mind, we'll see what you will come up with.

@StraightGib'nEm, you're welcome! :]

Everyone else, the deadline is in 2 weeks!

Edited by bzzrak

@bonnie you have a very easy-to-work with texture set! Combined with some multi-sky abuse I'm hoping for great things. :P

As for me, I made a bit more progress on my map.

ed83d9cd17fb0647d2e69b1232dcb0e7.png

@bzzrak The first post is indicated that one slot is free, so I will participate one more time.

P.S. whose map contained the secret exit?

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

P.S. whose map contained the secret exit?

The maps are not ordered yet. When we deal with that and decide whose map will end up on MAP15, I'll try to get the author to slap in a secret exit or give permission to someone else to do it. Probably not the best way of doing it, but oh well.

Anyway,

Textures:
SLADPOIS
SHAWN3
STONE
ZDOORB1

+1 texture of your choice due to a door texture already being present

Flats:
CONS1_1
GRASS1
CONS1_7
CEIL4_2

+1 flat of your choice due to two console flats

+ the extras from the OP.

You lucky bastard. The best texture set anyone got in this CP. :]

EDIT:

@Bauul no problem, good luck. Thanks for trying. :]

Edited by bzzrak

@bzzrak  Ah crap, I'm sorry dude but I'm going to have to rescind my map slot.  I've had to cancel my week off next week so all my magical free time has disappeared in a puff of unneeded responsibilities, and there's no way I can make something decent without it.  Sorry for leaving you high and dry so close to the deadline!

sorry i forgot to make a status update, i took an 8 hour catnap like a frickin loser :c

anyways it's actually coming together somewhat. the thing i wanted to do with the custom skies doesn't actually work because i am extremely unintelligent, so now i'm just trying to find other things to do with them. i dont actually have enough right now to post a status update, i'm kinda making the map in random chunks instead of straight start to finish.

and don't worry friends, it's going to be fucking awful. i cannot wait to completely disappoint anyone who thought it was going to be "badass" or "great" :3

53 minutes ago, bonnie said:

i took an 8 hour catnap like a frickin loser

that's right, real men map all night B-)

54 minutes ago, bonnie said:

the thing i wanted to do with the custom skies doesn't actually work

What did you have in mind? Maybe the more intelligent people here could help.

52 minutes ago, bonnie said:

it's going to be fucking awful.

Don't worry, we're not the BTSX team and maps don't have to be ideal. (I won't mind if they are, though)

55 minutes ago, bonnie said:

i dont actually have enough right now to post a status update

You've been working on the thing for two goddamn days, of course you don't have enough. It takes me two days to make a single room, sometimes more. :]

Take your time. It's not like I'm posting this on /idgames on July 2nd. :]

*to everyone playing, the map is on MAP22*

Nice map and all that, except that there were monsters. Lots of monsters. Revenants, Hell Knights, Revenants, Hell Knights, Revenants, Hell Knights, Arch-Viles, Cacodemons, Cacodemons and of course a goddamn Cyberdemon. I can't play without cheats anymore. I won't play without cheats anymore. I'll stop ranting now.

After the initial frustration, I decided to give it a spin with -nomonsters and liked it a lot.

The large-scale architecture and the concept of a huge open area looked very cool, all the different textures and their colours were well combined. Abusing BIGDOOR7 is a classic. :]  All the strange shapes and curves were really interesting, you made it look natural, also the texture alignment was good. The interior of the buildings was truly magnificent, great job. One thing I found awkward were those overd33teyled spiral stairs. What the hell, why the hell?

9/10 with -nomonsters. Thank you for contributing once more!

-----

I assume that you want the hellish sky? Also, what's the name?

22 hours ago, bzzrak said:

Textures:

SLADPOIS
SHAWN3
STONE
ZDOORB1

+1 texture of your choice due to a door texture already being present

Flats:
CONS1_1
GRASS1
CONS1_7
CEIL4_2

+1 flat of your choice due to two console flats

+ the extras from the OP.

Not bad.
That is my texture set:
bRSJTY9.png

I post screenies probably tomorrow cause I'm already made sketches.

On 13.6.2017 at 7:22 PM, Bauul said:

If you need any more mapslots filled, I'm happy to contribute.  Given the short timeframe it'll probably be something relatively straightforward, but better that than no map at all, right?

On 17.6.2017 at 1:53 AM, Bauul said:

@bzzrak  Ah crap, I'm sorry dude but I'm going to have to rescind my map slot.  I've had to cancel my week off next week so all my magical free time has disappeared in a puff of unneeded responsibilities, and there's no way I can make something decent without it.  Sorry for leaving you high and dry so close to the deadline!

Was this an assigned map slot? If you need a map I could make one. Even with Bauul's texture set...

@bzzrak I apologise for stressing you out! The theme helped me assume a 'final episode' map slot and made it difficult enough to match. I forgot to implement difficulty settings (as I was a touch excited to release the map so soon after starting it :P). I will take your comments on board and also implement difficulty settings so that you can beat it. I made this map's difficulty match my capabilities - I find it very hard to beat without saves, but can just about do it, although imo the AV fight is probably the nastiest part and has had me without ammo a couple of times. More testing will be done. :P

A word of advice for the cyber fight - there's a huge variety of enemies in the arena with you, so use your footwork as your most powerful weapon, you can kill off every enemy with cyberdemon rockets if you play it right!

Thanks for such a high rating given how much it stressed you out :P

I will probably name this map when I provide an update, and yes, a red hell sky of some description (doesn't HAVE to be the one from the IWAD) is necassary, hence the map22 slot, which I also forgot to mention to everyone.

A cautious FDA: ted2_rd_fda.zip

I got lucky to survive at the av/pinky trap, because I panicked and did something very dumb lol. There are a couple of monsters that appear on a bridge, on circular turrets, which could use monster-block lines since they can probably get knocked off while still alive. Favorite parts were the cyber fight and the AV/pinky reveal. 

Fun and well balanced map. Nothing serious to find fault with. I liked the 'machinery' of the map, like the lift that rises at the cyber fight, and the multi-tier structures in the second building. I wonder if the damaging floor needs to be 20%, sort of surprised me when I went for the shotgun secret. 

Edit: bzzrak, in prBoom+, you can use -warp (without a number) at the command line when the map isn't on map01, so that you don't have to go digging around for the right mapslot. That sends you to the (first) map that is replaced.

Edited by rdwpa

Some WIP screenshots of my map:

Spoiler

Green and gray...
WTbI3tM.jpg

A warning...
3cxYxI2.jpg

The courtyard...
Wgo9xlx.jpg

16 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

A warning...
3cxYxI2.jpg

HAH.

I'd like to comment on how insanely easy your texture scheme was, which is good, because the map looks really nice :D

This map would be simpler and shorter than my previous map.
Probably it can fit to first 10 maps, if the maps will be sorted by difficulty, I hope so?

23 hours ago, rdwpa said:

I got lucky to survive at the av/pinky trap, because I panicked and did something very dumb lol. There are a couple of monsters that appear on a bridge, on circular turrets, which could use monster-block lines since they can probably get knocked off while still alive. Favorite parts were the cyber fight and the AV/pinky reveal. 

Fun and well balanced map. Nothing serious to find fault with. I liked the 'machinery' of the map, like the lift that rises at the cyber fight, and the multi-tier structures in the second building. I wonder if the damaging floor needs to be 20%, sort of surprised me when I went for the shotgun secret. 

Just watched the FDA - good fun to watch. I loved how cautious you were and experimental too, such as trying to avoid the cyber fight by being quick to return to the lift-entrance. You got really lucky with the AV/pinky fight, the AV basically walked up to you like "ey, yo, kill me pls.". Every time I've tested this map it's played as I intended, where the AV stays at the back and caused the pinkies to survive for much longer and, of course, try and snipe me off while it is defended by a large pinky meatshield.

Thanks for your comments! :)