Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigDickBzzrak

Texture Extravaganza CP [beta 7 out] [LOOKING FOR SECRET LEVELS!]

31 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

I hope that you haven't forgotten that the final-ass deadline is 22nd July.

this is indeed the only project i have focused on for the last month friend

edit: just so you're aware, i've been streaming myself working on it for the last few days and it's been motivating and helping me immensely

Edited by bonnie

is the 22nd the final final FINAL deadline or is that just when i need to submit something and then we'll get a few days to playtest and fix up our maps

because it's gotten to the point where i literally need to come up with a schedule to manage these last few days, and i wanna know if i should set aside an entire day or two to distributing my map and getting feedback or not

41 minutes ago, bonnie said:

when i need to submit something and then we'll get a few days to playtest and fix up our maps

This one.

Also, 1100th post

edit: thanks XD

Edited by bzzrak

12 hours ago, bzzrak said:

Also, 1100th post

:o happy birthday!!

EDIT: HOLY FRICK THIS WAS MY 300TH POST WE'RE LIKE BLOOD BROTHERS NOW

Edited by bonnie

i've been working my heckin butt off everyday for the last three weeks on this map, trying to finish it in time.

in a cruel twist of fate, my area suffered a random power outage at 3 in the afternoon. originally, it was estimated to come back on at 6:20pm. then at 8pm... and now, 12am (it's 10pm for me right now).

i really needed today to work on the map, and while i'm still gonna work on it the second my power comes back on as well as all day tomorrow, i just wanted to let everyone know that the universe itself doesn't want me to finish my shitty map on time

i might not submit it until late late tomorrow night, possibly even early in the morning on the 23rd, so dont be alarmed

frick the universe man :(

edit: it came back on an hour early so i only lost 8 hours holy ravioli

Edited by bonnie

Hi, 

The level I've been making is still a bit away from ready. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lun1oht0hp9phxp/txX64_43.zip?dl=0

Some/many areas are unfinished and the gameplay + item placement has just started. It'll take more work.

It can be walked through with IDFA. All the current things should work. Some places are better laid though. It's a "gimmick level" with postponed triggers and such. (It's around a months worth of work. I'm kind of happy how it's shaping up.)

Sorry but I don't know what you should do. Can you wait much longer? The ultimate final deadline has been postponed already. I've seen the original topic of this project and have said myself (a month ago) that I would not just fade out.

^ Will check it out a bit later.

Yeah, now that you've posted something you have indefinite time to refine it. I just want to make people finish their damn maps already, not in a rush at all.

"Gimmick level that can be completed with cheats only" is exactly like something I'd make, so I'm very excited. I'd seen that one really cool screenshot you posted and have been anticipating the release ever since.

5 hours ago, dl_simc said:

I would not just fade out.

You're the most magnificent man I've ever seen, the definition of "real man". Really.

edit: DONT PLAY ON EASY you can play on easy in v2

i have nothing good to say about my map

i let some people playtest the map and nobody liked it as far as i could tell

the fight at the wall and the ending are hopefully just placeholders for now

dont let the monster count scare you, most of it is fluff, i just like always having something to do or kill in my maps

i've lost all motivation to playtest my map so i dont know if it's beatable or not in it's current state, as i made some minor changes since it was playtested

i hope to add another small area in the future maybe i dunno

"it's boxes all the way down" bonnietextureextravaganza.zip bonnie_textra_v2.zip 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyj62i10wq93tje/bonnie_textra_v4.zip?dl=1

build time: several hours almost every day for over a month

music: i dont know i got it from japanese community project i think

coop: starts and a weapon or two

deathmatch: i put a couple dm starts and like 2 dm only weapons

difficulty settings: i made some easy difficulty memes and started making actual hmp balances but not much, maybe soon

i remember testing it in zdoom once and it went horribly but i dont really care tbh maybe it's good now
known bugs: two areas with sky transfers dont work at a distance in opengl renderers??? like they just appear brown until you get close

edit: feedback greatly appreciated

sorry

Edited by bonnie

This took a while, sorry for that, some surreal stuff happened IRL and I was always too tired to kill demons.dl_simctextxtra-fda-bzzrak.zipdl_simctextxtra-fda-bzzrak.zipdl_simctextxtra-fda-bzzrak.zip

@dl_simc ZDoom 2.8.1 FDA attached. Insane map, in the best possible way. One little remark is that some rooms were uber-detailed while others had literally nothing but 1-sided lines. There was one like that with a low ceiling and SILVER3 walls. The monster placement was kinda OK but I can't really say because I cheated anyway :/

Also the effects such as the UAC logo and the crazy light effects were BADA$$. The UAC logo could've been bigger, though. :]

8/10

@bonnie Two demos attached, a FDA and a SDA ("second"). I'm terribly sorry for being such a terrible personality, but in the first demo I didn't have the time to complete it, in the second one I didn't have the patience. I owe you a full playthrough. What I've seen so far is really cool, a lot of craaates and one rather trollish room. So far, so good...

???/10

bonnietextxtra-fda-bzzrak.zip

hey i started watching your demos and noticed that there were 1300 more monsters than there were supposed to be

i should have mentioned this in my first post, but dont play on easy (if that's what you're playing on)

that's where they all come from

like there's a room with 30 archviles (which i really fucking hope you didn't get to, since it's really early on in the map), and an area with like 1000 pain elementals and 10 cyberdemons that i put as easy only as a meme because i'm a bad person

if you want a slightly easier experience, play on hurt me plenty, it features a whopping 12 less monsters than UV c:

also when you die and resurrect, don't worry about making sure you get back to low health again friend

i am now too embarrassed to watch the rest of your demos in fear that you actually did reach the 30 archvile room aw jeez man

edit: also remember that the wall place and the final area fights are just placeholders because i had little time to make them and didn't know what to do so pls dont strangle me

Edited by bonnie

Thanks for your test time!

The demo gave ideas to clarify things and routes for the game play: Rethink the raise bridge area flow, harmonize the switches and review those transparent windows. The construction will continue.

2 hours ago, bonnie said:

i am now too embarrassed to watch the rest of your demos in fear that you actually did reach the 30 archvile room aw jeez man

Well sorry to disappoint you...

Also, good trolling. I admire your skills. We should totally team up to make the most trollish thing that ever hit Doomworld.

7 minutes ago, dl_simc said:

Thanks for your test time!

Nah man, thank you for making the most gorgeously overdetailed map that can be made with 5 textures.

@dl_simc

Really hard stuff. I do not remember a single map where I had to fight with a hellkinght by chainsaw. I did not notice, but there is no first-aid kit here. This is a real challenge. All gemaplay based on occurences of infighting between monsters. I passed half of the map with only 3 hp. Did not count how many times I died, but did run through this without cheats. I get a missing texture on my eyes. Details in the demo.

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  First Demo Attempt GZDoom 2.4.0, 17 min

8 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  First Demo Attempt GZDoom 2.4.0, 17 min

Good heavens! - No, that wasn't the intented gameplay setup yet. 

That map was at very preliminary stage. The item placement and the overall layout were (and still are) far from the finalized. The intention of that release was to demonstrate that this map making is really progressing.

Thanks for your brave effort - very nice chainsaw usage! The demo highlighted the same design issues as bzzrak did too. The missing textures will get fixed. Got to check those rendering things in the demo too. GZDoom worried me with this level because the dark areas get really dark in it's default lightning. But the dark places are ~needed to get better contrasts added in there.

i finally got around to playtesting my map, i made it like halfway and died to my own trap

as such, i have updated my map: bonnie_textra_v2.zip

• all easy memes removed (hopefully)
  • minor rebalances up to the part where i died
  • added one secret (though when i playtested, i purposely avoided getting secrets)
  • reworked a fight so that it's not dumb anymore
  • added candles to lead blind players to a certain switch
  • nerfed the trap i died to so that i'd feel better about myself
  • minor detailing and opening up of spaces
  • d e c o r a t i v e   h e a l t h   b o n u s e s
  • clear more meat from hallways than ever before
  • uv now has exactly 1300 monsters
  • heck yea

the link in my previous post has been updated as well

edit: this means that the last two fights have been left untouched, i still dont know what i really want to do with them yet

also pls give feedback (demos would be nice too)

Edited by bonnie

Cool, I'll check it out a biiiiit later.

(BTW, I'll be coming back home in 2 days, then I'll be able to devote some actual time to this project and testing out all the maps and all that, wheee.)

1 minute ago, bonnie said:

uv now has exactly 1300 monsters

add 37 more ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On 7/30/2017 at 7:05 PM, bzzrak said:

add 37 more ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

that's a gold hat, cool cat, but i'm gonna have to say nuns on ripple

edit: @riderr3 thank you friend, i checked and found several spot where you could indeed get stuck between pillars, and I patched all of them (hopefully).

the warehouse area is very much inspired by e2m2, as at one point i just said "well heck i might as well just make a shitty e2m2 ripoff with these textures" and so I did. if you notice, the opening area of the warehouse place look fairly similar to e2m2's opening. also, various other elements were taken from e2m2, including the little sewer thing that wraps around the north wall, the second entrance area, and the area behind the window at the start.

thank you for your words.

Edited by bonnie

@bonnie I see you are improved skills, especially tech side (tried v2). Some map parts probably inspired from maps by other authors all over Doomworld.

Warehouse area somehow looks like E2M2: Containment Area because cement and crates for sure.

Liked a curved paths with deep water. I should use deep water effect in my wads too.

Not sure, but I think there is possibility of being stucked between columns in north area (where tag 1), if player falls down.

Edited by riderr3

Hi, I want to announce one thing about secret levels.

You've got 3 textures and 3 flats... but... you can choose them yourself!!!

because why not?

So yeah, go nuts. :]

------

@bonnie from your edit I gather that you'll release another update, right? ok, I'll wait

edit: ok cool

Edited by bzzrak

@bzzrak i sure will release an update, right after i have enough changes to warrant one

the change i made wasn't a massive one, it's just a small quality of life improvement also im snug as a bug in bed and don't wanna get up and update it  yet :(

edit: my map's super cool name is "it's boxes all the way down" ;~;

Edited by bonnie

Here's the title fresh outta MidiMaker (who still uses that garbage, that is on my old PC bc I didn't know about Anvil Studios) titlesong.zip

Also bzzrak if that's OK with you I can help with map order and stuff while I'm writing more midis

2002 date = power outage, clock on the motherboard reset, didn't notice it. Anyway it is a MIDI I made originally for the DWMP 2015 but didn't upload it as I went inactive for about two months after that. So now it's, umm, recycled! I'll try to whip up a readme MIDI today too scratch that I'll do it in a few days tho.

Edited by DoomLover234

@bzzrak i dunno if i made it clear enough in my mildly sarcastic post but i wasn't gonna update my map

but since it seems like you thought i actually was, i frickin went ahead and actually did it gosh darnit i'm absolutely bonkers

bonnie_textra_v2_5.zip

• fixed the minor issue riderr3 told me about
  • that's it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Edited by bonnie

bump bump bump ur butts buckaroos

i took a nice little break from mapping and finally came back to this since i had absolutely no idea how it even played past the initial box maze area, and figured that my break would be long enough to give me the motivation to playtest and balance the map

after quite a lot of editing and testing and whatnot, i eventually decided it was time to try and do a full no save run of the map. most of those runs didn't go very well. but then, suddenly, i decided i really wanted to do a uv-max demo, sort of as a little cheat-sheet for people tryna find secrets and what-not, so i started one, and just kinda winged it.

I died after 48 minutes with all 9 secrets (the 10th one is unintended and unreachable), but not without taking down 1009 bad boys with me.

Honestly I died in a pretty tragic and ironic way (spoiler alert for my death):

Spoiler

I died in the void after falling down between pillars and getting stuck, which is ironic because

A) I "fixed" that in the last update

B) I called it a "minor issue"

C) About 30 seconds beforehand I literally fucking said to myself, "Well at least I already fixed this area, so I won't have to worry too much about falling"

I was so heartbroken... or maybe I had a heart attack, since my heart was beating about 500 times a second by that point, because of how close I was to the end and how close I had been to death as well.

Because of how far I got (this was my first time ever getting past the sewers) and how long it took, I have decided to just upload this version with the demo for anybody to watch. I don't recommend playing this version of the map, however, as it is still riddled with bugs and really unbalanced fights that I found while recording the demo. I just want to have the version I played on here so that it doesn't get desynced or anything and also so that people can see how awesome and cool I am (note: I had to go potty before the blue key door, so just skip past that part).

I'm really excited now because I got a lot of very very useful info from doing my run about how to make the map better so yea :D also, by some miracle, it turns out that the sewer area is apparently perfectly balanced right now, so that's pretty cool

but yeah, this is really just to show off the demo and also to show that i'm still working on my map and that it's nearing completion c:

Expect a proper update very soon. bontextraV3+uvmaxdemo.zip

This is the first time I've played this level. I liked the solutions visually. The map starts as an attempt to recreate E2M2 (and it atmosphere strong here), but later goes into the slother. I did not find a strong imbalance. Good level.

59 minutes of my sloppy gameplay: bonnie_textra_v3_SC77_FDA.zip

I did not count how many times I died ...

Oh silly me. I did play your map some time ago but forgot to post the demo.

Here's a ZDoom 281 demo, plays with version 2.5 of your map. I mostly cheated. :/

The thing is, your map is the most insane thing I've ever seen. I remember you saying that it'll be a 3 min map but it ended up being some crazy-ass crap that takes over an hour.

That one huuuuuuuuge void-ish area near the end, as well as the huuuuuuge stargr area very, very impressive.

But my overall impression that the map was way too long and... grindy I guess? just for the sake of it.

So, your map is almost definitely ending up in the last slot of the final map order, heh.

I can't even give it a rating. Absolutely no idea what could I give it.

?/10

bonnietextxtra-fda-bzzrak.zip

i waited a thousand summers for you to play my map ;~;

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

Here's a ZDoom 281 demo, plays with version 2.5 of your map.

there are two demos with similar sizes in there, and since zdoom doesn't have any demo playback controls (frick), i dont wanna have to sit through them only to find i'm lookin at the wrong ones, so could you clarify which one i should be watching, if those are the correct demos pls

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

I remember you saying that it'll be a 3 min map but it ended up being some crazy-ass crap that takes over an hour.

that was back when i hit a mapping block really really hard after making a single room and thought i only had 2 weeks to finish the entire map ;~;

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

But my overall impression that the map was way too long and... grindy I guess?

how can i make it feel less grindy

also how can i make it less long

like there arent many areas but i dont understand why it's so long

i guess it's because it's so grindy actually :(

maybe i'll make it so hmp has waaaay less monsters than UV, so that instead of making certain parts a little easier, i'll give lower difficulties a much different, more fast paced playstyle

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

So, your map is almost definitely ending up in the last slot of the final map order, heh.

if that's the case, then i should probably fix up the map a little more to make it more of a proper end map, right? maybe give it a better boss, throw in a cyberdemon or a bfg or somethin in there too? or is there something i could do to avoid this final-map fate you have bestowed upon me

anyways, thanks for your words and demos friend

edit: i dont know exactly how i feel about my map being relegated to a secret slot but if you choose to do so, i will completely understand

i do, however, completely agree that i shouldn't be the final map, but i understand if i'm like last 5 or something (if i dont become a secret)

Edited by bonnie

35 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

How many secret maps are there, because it'd make a lot of sense in one of those slots. Dobu's map is also perfectly fitting for the finale -- a tough slaughtermap with the compactness of a 'boss map', despite being more complex than that.