Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigDickBzzrak

Texture Extravaganza CP [beta 7 out] [LOOKING FOR SECRET LEVELS!]

10 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Ok?

B-b-but you can use the BIGDOOR7 instead of SUPPORT3 (its first 24 pixels)... I can't see your logic. :]

It's not too late to change.

On 17/01/2017 at 8:43 PM, DoomLover234 said:

22 - Dragonfly - Restriction

My map, Restriction, is currently hosted on my website. I will be migrating server's in about a week or two, and it's possible I may drop some files - is it possible someone could download the map in case it is lost, and/or make a mirror? I would do it but not on a machine to do so and will probably forget about it shortly. :P

9 hours ago, Mosshopper said:

Can both the activated and unactivated versions of the switch be used?

Yep.

edit:

--------------------------------------

DoomLover234 has given up his slot;

Liberation says that he might make something, but his slot is basically free

TMD and NecrumWarrior have confirmed that they are working on their maps.

Edited by bzzrak

It was a tough decision to make - I wanted to stay and at least contribute something to the project, but then again, I have so much stuff to do these days I just couldn't since I have to finish my personal projects and a lot of real life stuff too.

Just try not to gib us with that shot. :]

Slot 12 is totally yours.

Textures:
STARG1
SLADSKUL
SLOPPY1
CEMENT7

Flats:
FLOOR4_6
FLOOR1_1
FLAT1_2
FLAT14

(+1 flat of your choice, due to FLAT14 and FLOOR1_1. One is just a blue floor, the other one is that very blue floor with a UAC logo.)

+ the extra textures in the OP.

Not a bad set AT ALL, especially if you use the extra flat wisely.

31 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

Just try not to gib us with that shot. :]

Lol I'll make u proud. Thanks man

37 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

Not a bad set AT ALL, especially if you use the extra flat wisely.

It's truly not. Pretty happy with this set

^

21 hours ago, Mosshopper said:

Ends with Two Keens, One Romero.

Frankly, I don't like the sound of this... :]

I'll play your map, then edit the post with my impressions.

OK I've played it...

(HMP skill, Doom Retro source-port.)

I've got this feeling like this is your first, maybe second, map.

What's bad:

1. Texture alignment is close to zero (all the FIREBLUs in the start). Press A in DB2/GZDB's Visual Mode a few times.

2. There was a non-lower-unpegged door track. The one with

the Arachnotrons near the end. Maybe a few more that I haven't spotted. That's bad.

3. The detail is 2/10. Example: the

FIREBLU rooms in the beginning are literally completely frickin' empty. Not good!

4. You use only the red skullkey AND red keycard. For easier recognition, it'd be better if you replaced one of them with a, say, blue skullkey. Just a suggestion.

5. That room with

the sky floor and floating rock decorations was, pardon my French, the worst room I've seen in a Doom map. Movement is very hard due to several monsters, as well as the rocks, blocking your path; the floor is damaging... and the stock E1 sky is not the best floor flat, really.

6. Sometimes there would be a sky ceiling and a non-sky ceiling right next to each other, with the same ceiling height. I hope you understand me. That looks bad, very bad. Make the sky a bit taller and add some upper textures, it'll look way better.

3 Cyberdemons and a crapload of cells as a boss battle?

Seriously??

8. It's "biZaRRe". Unless it was deliberate. :]

Now I'll move to the positive stuff.

1. The idea of

having to press a computer to progress was rather intuitive, although it took me quite a while to figure it out.

2. Excluding point 5 in the above list, the map is quite FUN. It's not too difficult (again, excluding point 5). I liked the fights with Cacodemons and Mancubuses.

3. What you did with teleports and doors was awesome, TBH. It looked badass.

4. I didn't find any level-breaking bugs.

------------------

Overall: 4/10. I won't reject this ofc, as this is a community project after all, however, please read my impressions and try to improve your map.

To be honest, this is a bad map, but I liked it in some weird, biZaRRe way. Don't get disappointed, my maps suck too. You'll get better.

Edited by bzzrak : played it

My map is really quite terrible. I tried to do some work on it but I can't think of anything more to do with it and the textures aren't exactly inspiring me. I can upload what I've made so far and someone can finish it if you want.

21 hours ago, bzzrak said:

What's bad:

1. Texture alignment is close to zero (all the FIREBLUs in the start). Press A in DB2/GZDB's Visual Mode a few times.

2. There was a non-lower-unpegged door track. The one with

Reveal hidden contents

the Arachnotrons near the end. Maybe a few more that I haven't spotted. That's bad.

3. The detail is 2/10. Example: the

Reveal hidden contents

FIREBLU rooms in the beginning are literally completely frickin' empty. Not good!

4. You use only the red skullkey AND red keycard. For easier recognition, it'd be better if you replaced one of them with a, say, blue skullkey. Just a suggestion.

5. That room with

Reveal hidden contents

the sky floor and floating rock decorations was, pardon my French, the worst room I've seen in a Doom map. Movement is very hard due to several monsters, as well as the rocks, blocking your path; the floor is damaging... and the stock E1 sky is not the best floor flat, really.

6. Sometimes there would be a sky ceiling and a non-sky ceiling right next to each other, with the same ceiling height. I hope you understand me. That looks bad, very bad. Make the sky a bit taller and add some upper textures, it'll look way better.

Reveal hidden contents

3 Cyberdemons and a crapload of cells as a boss battle?

Seriously??

8. It's "biZaRRe". Unless it was deliberate. :]

1. There's no auto-align in Eureka from what I can tell, and that's the editor I use. I don't get too bothered by textures like FIREBLU being unaligned.

2. Fixed.

3. On ultraviolence there's revenants instead of shotgunners, so some level of detailing might hinder the player's movement some.

4. The red keycard is placed to confuse player's who can only read the word red. There's no door or switch in the map which requires a red keycard, only a red skull.

5. The rocks were placed to outline the safe "ground" the player could walk on, much like the blue ceiling lights in E2M2 I recall, which highlight a path over damaging blood that will rise up and cause no damage. Maybe I'll make it so that metal slabs rise out as you follow the path?

6. I think that's an issue with the opening effect used to open up the first rooms. I'm not 100% sure.

7. Don't know what the issue here is. Would Masterminds be better?

8. Yeah, intentional. I already have another .wad in my folder called Bizarre.wad

Bzzrak, some of your criticism was unnecessarily harsh. Saying that a room is the worst room you've ever played in all the Doom WADs you've presumably played is really harsh. Calling in "a bit awkward" and suggesting ways to improve it might be a much better idea than ranting about it.

Mosshopper, if you want, I'll exploit a loophole where. in the main post, it never says only one person may work on the map - so if it's alright with you, I can help your map and tweak it a bit, like what bzzrak did with joe's map.

5 hours ago, Mosshopper said:

detailing might hinder the player's movement some

Detail can be on the ceiling and walls too, it doesn't necessarily have to hinder the player's movement.

Take a look at E1M1's computer room: you've got those computers on the walls and ceiling that don't obstruct your movement in any way, and still, the room looks neat.

The rocks were placed to outline the safe "ground" the player could walk on,

The metal slabs idea sounds OK, also I suggest replacing rocks with candles or even health/armour bonuses. Those rocks really... hinder the player's movement. :]

Don't know what the issue here is.

No real "issue", but IMHO it's kinda cheap. With all the cells, there's no challenge, and 3 Cyberdemons usually imply some challenge. Here, it's literally "shoot it until it dies". If I were you, I'd add some more monsters to that fight, like Revenants or Arachnotrons. You could also resort to some gimmick, but that's up to you.

Just my 2 cents, of course. :]

The red keycard is placed to confuse player's

Hahaha, clever! It did confuse me.

5 hours ago, DoomLover234 said:

Bzzrak, some of your criticism was unnecessarily harsh.

Sorry, I was hyperbolic, or whatever it's called. No offence to anyone.

(I found that room to be a bit more than "a bit awkward", though.)

5 hours ago, DoomLover234 said:

I'll exploit a loophole

I'm okay with that.

It's a "Community" Project, remember? :]

Here's an updated version. The third room has been changed and is now more like the bit from E2M2 I mentioned. There's no indicator for where the slabs are, but the walkable surface is larger and isn't obstructed by rocks, so the 6 imps and occasional pinkies/cacos/lost souls/pain elementals shouldn't be too hard. Now there's a variety of enemies at the end, either 5 shotgunners, 4 mancubules, or 12 revenants in ascending difficulty. I did some minor detailing by added some metal platforms around the central zone of the first room with barrels topping them off, nothing too drastic.

Bizzare.wad.zip

When I finish with E1 replacement project, then I'll take this.
Always wanted to build a map in which one can not bother with "which textures should I choose here?", but rather focus on the overall design, gameplay and map tricks.
So I will participate in case some authors be absent.

Edited by riderr3

Took the slot away from @Frisky (hasn't logged on since January) and gave it to @VeinCrawler.

@riderr3 I gather that you're not claiming a slot yet?

@Stuhko has confirmed that he's working on his map.

VC, your textures are:

Textures:
BRONZE3
PANEL1
TEKWALL6
BIGBRIK3

Flats:
CRATOP2
FLAT23
SLIME15
FLAT5_1

Not a bad set, a bit too brown though IMO.

edit: @Mosshopper I'll play your update a bit later.

Edited by bzzrak

@bzzrak

Yeah, not claiming yet. I will post here later when I'm ready. Anyway I'm think there will be free slots in next month.

The work has begun. A few first sketches:

Texture_Extravaganza_Map_-_Untitled_01.j   Texture_Extravaganza_Map_-_Untitled_02.j   Texture_Extravaganza_Map_-_Untitled_03.j

Unfortunetly, i stop develop this map for few weeks by now (not abandon it!). I return to it later. Do not give my slot to anyone! ;]

And small question. May i use DOORRED2, DOORYEL2, DOORBLU2 textures, or not?

You cannot use key marker textures, that's the rule that stood back when I led the project. You could try to use colored torches perhaps?

59 minutes ago, DoomLover234 said:

You cannot use key marker textures, that's the rule that stood back when I led the project.

Yes, this is still correct.

You've got torches and keys. My map (map11 in beta5) uses the latter, for example.

3 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

i stop develop this map for few weeks

Don't worry, everyone seems to do that. Except that they don't tell me a damn thing. :]

Take your time. 2,5 months is a lot.

16 hours ago, bzzrak said:

VC, your textures are:

Textures:
BRONZE3
PANEL1
TEKWALL6
BIGBRIK3

Flats:
CRATOP2
FLAT23
SLIME15
FLAT5_1

Not a bad set, a bit too brown though IMO.

More or less a matching set indeed. Quite frankly, it isn't the impossible challenge I was quietly hoping for :). But thanks, I can certainly work with this and keep you guys posted on progress.

Since the deadline is a couple months out, I'll give this another shot. Starting from scratch and trying to keep it simple because my texture set really sucks. I've always hated SHAWN2 and now I have to try to use it creatively. I wonder if that meets the definition of irony.

I have some questions regarding texture usage:

1. Are we allowed to use our door, switch, DOORSTOP/TRAK textures anywhere, in whole or in part, or only as doors/switches?
  2. May I trade SFLR7_1 for SFLR6_1 for the sake of having a snake flat that tiles properly?
  3. Pretty please?

1. Yes you can.
2. Nope. Cannot trade textures for textures. Sorry, but rules are rules.
3. I'm really sorry but no. What's the texture set you got again? Just remind me.