Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doomworld Members' Sketchbook

7 hours ago, KVELLER said:

You really like that character, don't you? :)

Can't say I don't.

On 10/13/2018 at 4:06 PM, CaptainResident said:

I do a LOT more editing and arranging of images and not much full-on drawing (digitally, I do a lot of traditional drawing), but here's a thing I just call "Wall". I took a brick texture, took out some bricks, a background from a Doom project of mine, and then made out the symbol thing out of shapes and effects and whatnot. I actually use it as my wallpaper because it's one of the few creations I'm proud of.

wall.png.baa90c824bf222e21a1606b3844a8b1b.png

This looks nice, you should make it an intermission/title screen of sorts for your project.

22 hours ago, ArcheKruz said:

This looks nice, you should make it an intermission/title screen of sorts for your project.

Thank you, I'm actually using it as an intermission screen!

https://imgur.com/a/eYXJH70

I've gathered up a bunch of the TAMAS i've drawn over the past two weeks, and I think as time goes on I'm getting slightly better at drawing them, but I need to start getting some real drawing practice in at some point. This one is my favorite

5mwFq1M.jpg

I want to pet suou's head so badly aaaa

I decided to draw a tank with a mouse in MS Paint and the results doesn't look very bad as I expected.

Spoiler

tankmspaint.png.67fe14943a02cba202e530af44762b8f.png

I also edited this on Photoshop to make it transparent.

2 hours ago, BrassKnight said:

I decided to draw a tank with a mouse in MS Paint and the results doesn't look very bad as I expected.

Hide contents

tankmspaint.png.67fe14943a02cba202e530af44762b8f.png

I also edited this on Photoshop to make it transparent.

this is a masterpiece

A drawing of a random soldier I drew with my pen months ago:

IMG_0113.jpg.108942faa3088e3b37e253d5890ff6bd.jpg

What do you guys think? Any feedback would be appreciated. By the way, can someone give me tips or advice on improving my drawing skill? I really want to get better at it.

5 hours ago, BrassKnight said:

[...] can someone give me tips or advice on improving my drawing skill? I really want to get better at it.

This techinique's pretty handy for quickly fleshing out interesting poses while ensuring anotomy proprtions at an early stage. If you use a paper type that's not too thick (typical printing paper's fine), you can put another layer of paper on top of it and the sketch you made will be visible underneath. You can then define what parts of the sketch you wanna keep (typically the contours/outline) and detail it, add in shadows, etc. depending on what your style and tool is (I used to sketch rough with pencil & eraser, then fill in the finished piece with a good felt tip pen - one that gives a strong black but doesn't bleed much on the paper). If you don't feel like you don't yet have a style, don't be afraid to experiment with different ways of doing this. Google different way of cross hatching, study the style of a comic book artist you like, etc.

I use sketching pencils like these: 

image.png.c23963d489ae7526392a071fdfa7ad94.png

Do a quick sketch with the lightest pencil to map out the basic shape, pose, and detail of your subject. Nothing complex, stick figures work great for posing and simple boxes and circles can be refined into more complex shapes later. You mostly want to figure out where everything is going to be and the general sizing. If it helps, do a couple practice strokes with the pencil over the paper before committing to the actual line.

Once you finish the initial sketch, go over it with the next darker pencil making adjustments as you see fit. Had a few lines not go as planned? It happens, use it as a guide for the next attempt or turn it into another detail. The idea is that any mistakes should be made with the lighter pencils as you refine your shaps and details and your final product should start becoming clearer as you move to darker pencils. Don't be afraid to get messy with the first couple iterations, use the darker pencils clean up those rougher areas.

I, personally, would get a cheap sketchbook and do a sketch a day. Nothing complicated, just something that you can spend a comfortable amount of time on. A few minutes even.