Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t3hPoundcake

How would I test my maps using a mod like D4D?

If I were to make a map for a specific mod like D4D, or any other partial conversion like that, how would I go about being able to test with that mod through the editor? I don't really think updating my wad and loading it in ZDL every time I need to test is a very good solution.

Also can I configure the editor to support the enemies/items from that mod so I see the new things instead of vanilla things in the editor? Would I just load the .wads and .pk3's I require as resources or is that bad practice?

t3hPoundcake said:

Would I just load the .wads and .pk3's I require as resources or is that bad practice?

Bad practice? How so? I thought map editors allowed you to add resources specifically for situations like this. Add the mods as resources will solve both problems mentioned in your post. You will easily test your map via the editor's test mode, which will load the mods automatically, and the mod-specific things will be viewable in the editor as well. Just in case you didn't know, when you add resources in a map editor, they won't actually be added into your wad file, the editor will just know to load them when testing, will display their contents as available during editing, etc.

scifista42 said:

Bad practice? How so? I thought map editors allowed you to add resources specifically for situations like this. Add the mods as resources will solve both problems mentioned in your post. You will easily test your map via the editor's test mode, which will load the mods automatically, and the mod-specific things will be viewable in the editor as well. Just in case you didn't know, when you add resources in a map editor, they won't actually be added into your wad file, the editor will just know to load them when testing, will display their contents as available during editing, etc.

Yea I'm an idiot now that I think about what you said, it indeed works fine just adding the resources into the list hurr. Thank you.