Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

What has Doom taught you?

DoctorGenesis said:

THAT PEOPLE IN DM ONLY USE SSG, EVEN FOR LONG RANGE.

Your lucky. The guys I fought against kept using the rocket launcher.

No matter how tough things get, push through, because you've got a job to do. You'll succeed in the end.

Doom is super inspirational and important to me, both in the game itself and how it was developed.

Doom, as a kid, taught me the following:

1) Shotguns are your best friend in the game.

2) You no longer fear Satanic imagery if you've killed enough demons and Cyberdemons.

3) There's such a thing as a "one man army."

Let's see, about the game itself, how to properly dodge homing rockets, actually I learned this thanks to some youtube videos. To be more patient with slaughter maps and learn to appreciate more than hate them. Now outside the game, umm that I want a teddy cacodemon lol

-Crosses and holy water are not as fun to use on demons as plasma rifles and shotguns.

-Cacodemons are cute, and there is nothing you can say to make me think otherwise!

-Not all games need flashy effects and processor heavy visuals to be great.

-Story is something you have no need to focus on in a game. It can easily be chucked aside

-You don't need a big name company to develop a legendary game.

-Advanced engines aren't the only good thing for developing games.

-Regenerating health and quick time events do not make you badass. Ducking for cover and hiding from danger isn't gonna help.

-What do you do when you hate a character from your previous games? KILL THEM IN THE NEXT ONE!

-Modding and map making isn't as complicated as other games.

- If it's not your favorite game, it can be in future if it's REAL thing.

I've learned that in Doom you can run into walls and keep moving, but in life I learned if you run into a wall you'll generally knock yourself out and land back onto your ass. And that there may or may not be a big hole in the wall and people yelling at you.

1 hour ago, SomberFireBall said:

I also learned the limits of the engine.

Considering how often mods are released that are praised for 'breaking the known boundaries of the engine' I doubt any of us can truly say this ;)

4 hours ago, SomberFireBall said:

I learned how to map out my local school for "pranking" jk.

Eric Harris allegedly did such a prank 18 years ago, it wasn't too funny. :]

Doom has taught me

1. spiritual beings can be killed with physical weapons.
  2. persons capable of running 55 MPH are unable to jump.
  3. all one needs to know about first aid is to step on the kits.
  4. monsters from Hell are infinitely tall -- one cannot run over or under them.
  5. in the future, a weapon will be invented capable of knowing when its projectile has hit a wall, so that it can blast everything in that general direction.
  6. I can take 10 bullets or so before I die.
  7. shot placement doesn't matter.
  8. carrying 8 weapons and ~10 lbs. of ammo for each one doesn't slow a person down.
  9. if a piece of ammunition is carried on one's person, it will find its way into the weapon in time to be fired -- reloading manually is not necessary.
  10. don't believe everything you learn in video games.

:-)

19 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:
  1. carrying 8 weapons and ~10 lbs. of ammo for each one doesn't slow a person down.

Everything weighs a lot less on Mars since it's a smaller planet than Earth, which would explain the absurd ammo capacities in Doom 3 and it not affecting your mobility.

It taught me to keep a blasé face at all times and suffer silently -or at most with a grunt that sounds like taking a dump in reverse- in the face of adversity.

Doom has taught me that I'm wasting too much time behind my computer, but not just Doom other games as well, so I really can't blaim the game for that. Doom has taught me to critisize other games alot more than before, it seems I always have something to bitch about when playing other games. Don't know where it went wrong over the years. The newer games, they just never grow on me, I play them, and soon after they'll be forgotten again. Even Doom 3, played it, and mostly complained about it and forgot about it. Sometimes I think what are the game designers doing wrong nowdays, or do I still use classic Doom as a comparison for every other shooter today. Maybe Doom is so into my system that its hard to break free from its clutches :p Really Doom is the only shooter I play nowdays, I'm not even bothering with anything else, must be years ago since I played any other. My golden times of playing video games is long behind me allready, but Doom still is my thrustworthy old friend.

Maybe I'm just getting too old, old people tend to complain more right? 

I can count to 30 really fast by jumping to 31 after 15 and then skipping 32.

2 minutes ago, dew said:

I can count to 30 really fast by jumping to 31 after 15 and then skipping 32.

Doesn't help. 16 still comes after 31 in that case.

But, you can just idclev 30.

Steroids are awesome.  Until you leave the grounds of whatever place you're at.  Then they wear off immediately.

Doom Itself has taught me that;

1. Graphic Aesthetics is better than Graphics Fidelity.
  2. Games don't have to be expensive to be enjoyable to play.
  3. Indi mods and games are just as good, maybe even better, than those made by real companies.

Doom Editing has tough me;

1. How to use forum sites and wiki pages to ask for assistance.
  2. How to use Photoshop to edit textures.
  3. How to create my own textures in MS Paint.
  4. How to create and use batch files.
  5. How to use Doom Builder and Slade 3.
  6. How to work smarter and not harder.
  7. How to do basic scripting.
    1. This includes ACS and Decorate scripting. (Decoration sprites are rather easy for me now).
    2. If I wasn't already involved in Doom Editing I would have found learning HTML and CSS more difficult.

It also helped teach me that my last job "sucked" because no matter what I did I could not use my skills to make to make my work easier. We had to do things exactly like they tell you to and if you knew a way to work more efficiently they did not allow it. In fact they did not take anything that you said at face value. They undervalued your work and expected you to deal with it. Thank you Doom for giving me back a little bit more value and sanity back into my life.

On 1/19/2017 at 7:01 AM, RUSH said:

Doom has taught me that graphics aren't everything.

Doom taught me that art design, game design and sound design is everything, and not game resolution.

Bump, sorry.

The ending for Hexen has a warning which, IMHO, serves as a moral in life.

Even if I think I'm the best Pokémon player in the world, I just need to remind myself, "there are other players mightier than me, and who can know their next moves?"

Okay, so it's not Doom, but since it uses the Doom engine...

He smiles when he acquires the chaingun, which I always found a nice touch. Doomguy on the other hand, is content with just a shotgun or chainsaw.

Well, Doom taught me some other things, maybe the most important thing is that in games there can always be a way to face new issues, be taboo, or just banned. It taught me that no matter how violent the game, only the insane will be influenced by this. It also taught me how incredible the Gamer community is, especially the community of Doom is so far the best I have participated in and I plan to stay as long as the game lasts.

Improve my skills in the FPS, playing the first few days with the classic movement, without freelook, and then activating the freelook with GZdoom or others, so gradually improve my ability in FPS games. Also the game has taught me the incredible work that fans can do to keep the community alive, it has taught me the full potential of the Mods and the incredible skill created by the Map Makers, undoubtedly a game that has taught me that you can achieve perfection.