Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

What has Doom taught you?

That you don't need specular lighting, bump-mapping, bloom, ambient occlusion, chromatic aberration, antialiasing, anisotropic filtering and 4K resolution for a game to look pretty.

6 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

Pinkies are just chewed up wads of bubblegum come to life.

Reanimated by hell energy. If only the staff used their trash cans on Mars!

Actually big part of my interests today were in some level influenced by Doom, since i was so into the game from a very young age. I got into programming because of Doom, and now i'm studying computer science. I got into metal because of the doom soundtrack and now big part of my social circle is within the music community. A lot of my likings come from this game, along with some other factors obviously (IL-2 Sturmovik, MoH, The Terminator, Anime, etc). As for something useful i learned, i would guess getting past procastination and actually compromising to finish something is one of them, as i initially had a lot of trouble to beat Doom 3's campaign and it took me some amount of resolve to actually get good at playing it.

Not to be afraid to punch some walls.

A chainsaw would be a terrible weapon IRL, it would get stuck inside the person or creature you are trying to kill, ruining the teeth on the blade, effectively screwing you out of your 'weapon' while say another threat beats down on you. All these kids who say they're gonna 'use a chainsaw XDXD' in the zom apoc are gonna be in for a rude awakening, and ending.

Doom taught me how to make basic mods for a game (Weapons, new maps, music, etc.), as well as how to circlestrafe with the mouse cursor on the enemy at all times.

Biggest revelation back in 1996, got a CD with doom levels, tools and I started modding. My reaction then was "What? Didn't know you can even do that to a commercial game! You mean I can make a huge room with 100 Cyberdemons?" :)

Every time I fire up Doom, I feel the fluidity of the main character, the great feeling of opening a door and instantly my mind being hooked/hardwired to what's going on, it's so instantly addictive more than any modern FPS. It teaches me that it doesn't matter if a game is outdated technically, all the modern engines and they still can't pull the same feeling somehow.

And last, taught me how big and great the community can be, again for an outdated 25 years old game. And maybe I want it to teach me what are the elements that makes this so much better than modern FPS. This is something I frequently like to think about and everybody you ask has a different opinion, so it's not trivial to attribute it to one thing (it also makes me wonder whether we are all under the spell of rose-tinted retro-glasses and there is nothing about it :P).

Doom taught me to pay attention to walls because they can open at any time knowing that there are monsters behind.

Doom taught me graphics aren't everything, to pay attention to my surroundings at all times and always have a plan in case things get nasty and expect the unexpected, how quickly the odds can turn against your favor and how you can do recover from such a situation, as well as help me develop sheer willpower, I'm honestly extremely impressed and pleased by how determined I am when I want to finish a difficult level, wad, another game, and so on, and never give up, but I really, really, REALLY wish I could apply the same will on more important matters in life, I could most certainly benefit from it as it would make my life more enjoyable and easier, but sadly I haven't reached this point yet.

Doom was a great mind game for me as a kid, I think it was useful for the development of my brain, being stuck in levels, searching for solutions, resolving puzzles etc...

It's taught me how to git gud....  lol jk   It's taught me to prioritize targets, to be wary of easy items in case of ambush(es), and has given me a profound love of speedrunning and watching people speedrun on Youtube.

Doom helped me to face my fears as a kid. I couldn't play without cheats because I felt too vulnerable without them. There finally came a day where I pushed myself to play legitimately. It was always a struggle to load up my save and go back in, but I was determined. It was a proud moment when I beat the shareware on ITYTD.

Doom has taught me that Keys are a necessary evil. Every time I approach my car keys I watch around me carefully, as I'm certain a Demon will pop out of some wall. Maybe the Pantry.

A deeper lesson. You can't get to where you need to be without facing the unknown. Collect that key, face the challenge and finish life with 100% completion.

The games messages helped me have better grammar. And because of the game I get super angry whenever people use bad grammar. Especially when people use the wrong your.

1 minute ago, Herzon said:

The games messages helped me have better grammar. And because of the game I get super angry whenever people use bad grammar. Especially when people use the wrong your.

Your getting on the wrong track here. Is you're help really needed here? lol  jk jk  I feel the same way about to, too and two.