Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hell Theatre

Building Freedoom on Windows

Is it even possible?

The setup seems to depend on several Linux/Unix tools, and trying to get a working Windows (not DOS!) version of Deutex seems to be impossible.

I'd really like to check out a version with the most recent map changes in Voros's repo but there's just no chance to get through the necessary setup for a non-expert in this stuff.

Sorry, this really needs to be more user friendly, I guess that this obtuse setup has scared away many contributors already.

How do you expect to get more feedback if 99% of those who are interested in checking out the Git repos fail to get any further than having a look at the raw data?

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/freedoom/84896-guide-how-to-build-and-submit-changes-to-the-git-repository/

I can't directly build all three IWADs, because I lack the computer to do so (fingers crossed that I'll get my hands on one again this year). But, have you ever heard of Wintex? It's basically GUI Deutex. I prefer Deutex though.

For script changes and such, I just have to assume I did it right and that the Travis build is successful.

If you want to build Freedoom the way it should be built, Dr Nick's guide should help you.
Heck if you want, I could just give you a PWAD with the new maps, and let you run it with Freedoom. And with the help of Deutex's -join command, you can merge that PWAD with Freedoom... Why didn't I think of that earlier?

Tried that, no chance to run this software with my crappy internet connection. How much garbage is this trying to download before I can work with it.

I guess native is out, but it somehow figures that Linux users tend to make such setups that are mostly unusable for normal people who are not experts in this stuff.

Voros said:

If you want to build Freedoom the way it should be built, Dr Nick's guide should help you.
Heck if you want, I could just give you a PWAD with the new maps, and let you run it with Freedoom. And with the help of Deutex's -join command, you can merge that PWAD with Freedoom... Why didn't I think of that earlier?

It did help me - but oh, that's one big hassle to set up. I have a fast internet connection and the entire package setup still took 20 minutes!

It's definitely not for the uninitiated and also not really conductive to doing a quick change, where I'd like double click the generator tool and just let it run.

Hell Theatre said:

I guess native is out, but it somehow figures that Linux users tend to make such setups that are mostly unusable for normal people who are not experts in this stuff.

Well Freedoom uses some dynamic scripts, which automatically adds things to various assets with each build eg the text on the titlepic (all of it), the intermission screen level names, replacing empty assets with placeholders automatically, etc.
This makes changes very easy to do. Building it is usually easy too, but setting up the environment? Hah.

Plus, Freedoom has 3 IWADs. Meaning three config files are needed to produce 3 IWADs by Deutex. How those three configs can be done:

1- three specific configs kept separately on the repo, and a batch/script that automatically runs three Deutex commands
2- one specific config file with various ifdefs, which is processed to form three configs, which are used to build the IWADs.

-------------
Can you make a PWAD? If so, then just take the maps and insert into the IWADs. I believe it's safer to do this in Deutex.

As a Windows user, let me say that it's not the tools that get used which make this hard, but the makefile and the shell scripts which need this emulated environment to run.

That Unix emulation tool that got recommended in the other thread certainly helped, but the setup for it. Ugh... It took 20 minutes to download all the dependencies. Worse, I have no fucking clue where that thing is hiding those downloaded files - I can't find them on my HD, and the first Freedoom build took another 10 minutes because it generated so much stuff.

Yes, it works, but it's a setup a regular PC user won't be able to get running. I can see how people just give up. Of course, once it works, it works fine.

I'm trying to configure the .travis.yml to put up three zips in the repo everytime I make a commit (I believe its called uploading artifacts). But I keep getting an email saying the GitHub disabled my OAuth code as a precaution. Is there a way to disable this safety feature?
(For you guys out there: every change made in Freedoom, results in three new IWADs built with said changes, automatically)

The Travis log says there's something wrong in line 34, column 8.

I'm genuinely confused on what to do.

the file, one of the build logs