Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Uniform Exits

Maps with walkover exits should be uniform. I really like the Plutonia style, but we need a Freedoom version. New exit pad should use different textures, flats, different geometery. Instead of diamond poking up from middle we have something different. Maybe even a custom flat.

Uniform exit switches may be tricky. There are so many switches, not sure if any new ones can be added for compatibility. Besides the obvious "exit" textures with signs, a very small unique texture could be used around the exit switch to definitively mark it as an exit. This is much like color key actions, they are labelled by small texture. The exit switch texture should feel like it is part of the switch. Some exits are obvious labelled well with exit textures, this new texture or current texture would act as part of the switch decoration.

Ideally, all exits would use the same(or texture marked) switch or walkover pad.

EDIT> This is a suggestion for the future, not something that is immediately important.

For walkover exits, the starting pad in map10 makes a great candidate for simplicity and yet unique. As for switches, new ones won't be possible due to some the vanilla compatibility goal. But, the pad in map10 kinda has a switch on it, so that could be used as the exit switch.

That way, players will be able to recognise the exit of a map easily, much like how Doom uses the exit sign and that door to signify the exit of a map (well, most of the time).

I kind of like this general setup. It is clean, 4 double sided linedefs. 64x64 and 16 high. But needs a nice side 16x64 texture that can definitively mark it as an exit. Does not need to actually say exit, but something unique. Freedoom is full of teleport flats, exit should have its own special one.

I think aquatex might have the right combo.

I like the general idea, but it may be sensible to show some caution, and make sure that the new exit style works for each map.

To give an example - Map 10, which I co-authored, has a walk-over exit which is accessed by draining away a river of lava. The exit room is deliberately designed to look demonic and I feel a technological exit would look out of place.

I don't just say this to defend my map, as I understand that this is an open source project and anyone is free to build upon my work. Heck, my work on map10 builds on what Xerent started. But, I do think it does make sense to consider what works best for each map.

I think the exit pad needs a more distinct look so that the player won't mistake a normal lamp\portal for it.

Here are a few of my attempts. I purposely built them not on the 64x64 grid to avoid similarities to possible designs in other maps:

For context, here are the original flats:

See how they look very different from what I ended up with? I think this is the direction that should be taken for the exits to ensure that they look unique enough.

IMHO, I feel the exit pads should use the Aquatex textures, because they look nice, subtle and distinct.
No offense Memfis, but those pads freak me out for some reason. They seem so trippy in a way. I can't quite put my finger on why though.

Just a thought, but who said it had to be quadrilateral pads? In Catoptromancy's screenshot, the leftmost pad's upper layer can be an octagonal shape. That alone makes it distinct comapared to the rest of the map.

Well, they seem weird because it's non-standard alignment. Hopefully the player will get used to them after a few levels. But yeah, it's probably can be done better.

You're right: the shape could be more interesting.

Another thing to try is tall markers. Markers are good because they should be visible even from a considerable distance. Inspired by Kama Sutra:

^the one with the markers there is particularly nice to look at, although the flat looks like it's broken. Maybe it's the lack of a proper border that gives this impression.

I like memphis's left one, maybe with the middle white. Or two set reverse like mine, but in memphis style.

Once we figure something out, should make it a single texture and flat. Vanilla likes structural simplicity, so complicated textures are great for it. Memphis left one could be a single texture and flat for 4 two-sided linedefs, which would be excellent in vanilla.

I'm fine with any really. Even if it looks like a box of sweets :P at least it'll be a good start with giving Freedoom's maps some consistency.

Protox said:

enjoying the topic i can ask what you guys think of the portals modules of i'm using in episode 2?

I want to know why they are openings into tiny dark spaces full of hurtfloor instead of just walls.

grommile said:

I want to know why they are openings into tiny dark spaces full of hurtfloor instead of just walls.

i dont see a better idea actualy, i mean it not logical if the portal wont let you inside since you have come from it

Use those portals in hell maps. They would definitely fit in. And since you let players enter it, add some small gimmick, such as a switch that reveals a secret, but not letting the player have it.
Similar to how the armor in Doom's E1M1 is shown to the player but inaccessible. Or maybe make it a teleporter that sends the player back to the previous map's exit with a small area showing of the carnage you did there.