Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Urthar

Dimension of the Boomed

9 hours ago, Urthar said:

It takes about 5 or 6 point blank Double Barrel Shotgun blasts to take down a Shambler in Quake, and I'm aiming for something similiar in this. Like Quake, the Shamblers are immune to blast damage, so that might have thrown you if you were using the Rocket Launcher on them.

Don't forget that the super shotgun is a slower weapon in doom though.

On 1/23/2017 at 5:11 AM, 40oz said:

Angry Saint

Sorry only now I find you "called" me.

Better late than never.

How can I help?

Loading the wad with mods like Beautiful Doom and Smooth Doom makes weapon and enemy sprites look weird. The textures get like a gold-ish glow if that makes any sense.

14 hours ago, DoodGuy said:

Loading the wad with mods like Beautiful Doom and Smooth Doom makes weapon and enemy sprites look weird. The textures get like a gold-ish glow if that makes any sense.

Considering there's a different palette and DeHackEd changes it's probably inadvisable in general to use mods with this.

12 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Considering there's a different palette and DeHackEd changes it's probably inadvisable in general to use mods with this.

Well crap.

15 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Yeah I should probably that out in the opening post. Done.

2 hours ago, Urthar said:

Yeah I should probably that out in the opening post. Done.

When will we see the 4th map?

On 18/4/2017 at 0:39 PM, DoodGuy said:

You can try this version of my Black Ops mod. I have tested this on prboom+, Doom Retro, Crispy Doom.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-h92ZrFQV6CNHMzSGVLSS1hTDA

4 hours ago, DoodGuy said:

When will we see the 4th map?

At the present rate, I'd estimate the next release is 3 months away, so probably some time in July.

Hello there! I just started working on Map01 myself until I stumbled across your map pack. I was wondering if you'd be interested in collaborating with this project? Here's what my first map looked like.

Screenshot_Doom_20180104_204347.png

Urthar's project is about original Doom maps inspired by the Quake aesthetics; not about recreating Quake maps in Doom.

Also judging from the lighting and slopes on your screenshot, you're not going for the same minimum compatibility requirements either. Dimension of the Boomed targets ports with more of the original Doom engine limitations.

Sorry, not at this point Wh3atGr@$$.

Dimension of the Boomed is nearing completion, with just the last map to complete (though it's also the most technically demanding, and I've already stalled on it once.) And as Gez pointed out, it's all Boom/MBF format, and not strictly about recreating Quake (though there are obvious homages here and there.)

However you are more than welcome to use the BOOMQTEX resource wad to build your own stuff, and I'll try to upload a more current version of it later today. (Now updated.)

Edited by Urthar

When I played the demo, I noticed that the maps where quite stuffed with mobs even on lower difficulties. Having a Cyberdemon in the first map was also not the best decision, unless it's really easy to defeat it (e.g. telefragging or crushing ceiling). Was this just a WIP phenomenon or are you at least trying/intending to optimize difficulty in easier modes (if you haven't done so already)?

Edited by NightFright

9 hours ago, NightFright said:

When I played the demo, I noticed that the maps where quite stuffed with mobs even on lower difficulties. Having a Cyberdemon in the first map was also not the best decision, unless it's really easy to defeat it (e.g. telefragging or crushing ceiling). Was this just a WIP phenomenon or are you at least trying/intending to optimize difficulty in easier modes (if you haven't done so already)?

Thank you for the feedback.

Only Hard difficulty is implemented in the alpha demo, and even in the current unreleased version a fair ammount of fat has been trimmed. The Cyberdemon will only appear on Hard in the final version, and is quicker to defeat (or evade), but I won't comment on the details.

Since I'm (fingers crossed) close to beta release, I'll remove the alpha demo for now, since any further feedback on it has probably already been addressed.

17 hours ago, DoodGuy said:

How many maps are gonna be in the beta?

6 main maps, 1 pseudohub map and 1 bonus map.

Nice, I played a couple of maps already with the Final Doomer + Plutonia weapons, very good at picking off bastards at long range :D

I did a quick test of map 01 on "Hard", using GlBoom+ complevel 11, or should I be using complevel 9?. Anyway, atmosphere, visuals and details are very well done, combat reminded me of Valiant at some point, because of the semi-non-linearity and the faster chaingun setup. No keys required was a welcome change, something rare these days. I missed a few enemies somewhere, found all the secrets. Well, definitely pleased with the start (:

One thing I noticed:

Spoiler

First in-game demo is from map 08, which I've seen before in one of the MAYhem megawads. Just curious if they are the exact same...

14 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

using GlBoom+ complevel 11, or should I be using complevel 9?

When using PrBoom+ complevel 11 is MBF, which is what this set is to be played with. Boom format is complevel 9. So you're doing it right.

NOOOOO!!

Someone please put a full playthrough on Youtube :(

Screenshot_Doom_20180424_002459.png

EDIT: Holy shit that's dark. What I am showing is that I am at 6/8 and kinda lost, map is Necropolis :D

2OhJjGQ.png

That reminded me of Blood :D

Also, I got to Elsewhere, I have liked all maps so far, even though in Necropolis I had to peek into the locations of the pillars to find the last two, I had missed a place where you have to jump down.

Updated Beta2 Released. (Download link removed.)

• Added text file to zip.
  • Added coop starts to MAP07
  • Added computer map to MAP04

@VGA, while I was quite worried about a couple of the switch locations, it never occurred to me that those two you had trouble with would be a problem. I've added a computer map now, so hopefully that will do the trick. Glad you enjoyed it :) I'll have to try playing it with the mods you mentioned.

@galileo31dos01, it's sort of a polished version of the Mayhem map. The episode essentially ends at Elsewhere, if you want it to.

@Nine Inch Heels, comically I recorded the demos in comp 9, (which probably explains the desync in Eternity.)

@Doodguy, Uncle 80 & Ponqo, thank you kindly. :)

BOOMQTEX Updated: http://www.mediafire.com/file/uu25a16bubbz3hp/BOOMQTEX.zip

Edited by Urthar

Just played through the first level of beta 2 and this is quite badass. Took me almost an hour, mostly hiding in fear, but managed to 100% it. My only semi-criticism is that it is quite tough. I'm not the best player in the first place, but mancubi on easy difficulty seems a bit rough for a first level. Revenants on normal level is what made me have to tone it down. 

On 1/5/2018 at 10:47 AM, NightFright said:

Having a Cyberdemon in the first map was also not the best decision, unless it's really easy to defeat it (e.g. telefragging or crushing ceiling).

1 hour ago, Brewtal_Legend said:

mancubi on easy difficulty seems a bit rough for a first level. Revenants on normal level is what made me have to tone it down. 

If demons read this thread they'll think humans are all pushovers.

Gave the first map a spin on UV. As far as difficulty, it feels typical for an early level in modern non-slaughterwads, in my opinion. The cyberdemon is oppressive psychologically -- a high turreted overseer that can rain down rockets from particular scenic vantages -- but its actual threat is very limited except over the few areas that it's directly overlooking (where it's also easy to hide from). At the end, a BFG is provided, and since the cyb in this wad has only 3000 HP, one BFG shot -- even if it's not a particularly well placed one -- followed by 1.5x-speed chaingun fire kills it quite quickly. There are lots of smalller pillars to take cover from the cyber while still damaging it. When it's finally met up close, the cyber also first appears below a relatively tall walkway, so the player can weaken it safely from there if they are terrified of fighting it on the same level. So, yeah, I would call all of that quite an 'easy way to defeat it', and even without that safer approach it's not so bad.

I'd say the harshest elements of the map arise not from tough monsters but from relatively scarce 'free' armor (the first green armor is quite easy to miss, and even with it there isn't much) coupled with relatively common use of hitscanners. All fights with revenants and mancubi allow easy retreats or cover shooting for those so inclined. It's good to see a first map that is not a perfunctory pistol/shotgun affair in a squat techbase, especially considering that this is an episode-length mapset, not a megawad. At this point we are familiar with the stock bestiary, so the smart play is to introduce those monsters freely on a 'what is most compelling' basis, with difficulty governed by usage and encounter setup rather than species ('omg a cyb too hard' = '90s thinking), and to ease the player into the more dangerous custom monsters if those exist. (Valiant is a good example of this being successful. The first map has an archvile, but the diverse custom bestiary is introduced in a disciplined fashion.)

Edited by rdwpa

I've recorded a couple of demos showcasing a bug resulting from a sequence break in Map05. I think the gap I fell into in the first demo also prevents the last Shambler from spawning towards the end. The easiest way to fix it, I think, would be if all the switches in the western building required the blue key as opposed to just the first.

dotb-sbs.zip