Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Urthar

Dimension of the Boomed

16 hours ago, Urthar said:

I'll probably leave the card messages alone since I think Quake referred to them as blue or yellow.

Silver and gold, actually.

Will there be keycards in the game? Until now I have only seen keys. The cards only appeared in the first levels of each episode (the gateway maps) IIRC.

I had a go at doing Keycard sprites today, working from the Quake textures, but when I tested them in game they didn't look as good as the Doom ones.

KEYS.png.7ec21fe261453b96899ba145cef7e7f2.png

So I'll stick with Doom's versions for now, especially since DOTB doesn't have any keycards in it's maps. Though I might revisit this concept for ZDOOMQTX and try a rotating keycard sprite in the future.

These are some of the best levels in Doom I have ever played, I played through each level multiple times and had an absolute blast. I even go through with no monsters just so I can gawk at the sheer complexity of the architecture and use of faux shadows and all the other many tools you've utilized to create some of the best looking maps I have ever seen. They are tough but very fair in their fights and set ups and the secrets are very satisfying to find, I also love the way all the secrets are visible from different access points, as well as how the maps interweave throughout themselves.

Based off the quake intro level it seems like you plan on a whole megawad? Either way, thankyou for making this spectacular mapset!

2 hours ago, Crunchynut44 said:

These are some of the best levels in Doom I have ever played, I played through each level multiple times and had an absolute blast. I even go through with no monsters just so I can gawk at the sheer complexity of the architecture and use of faux shadows and all the other many tools you've utilized to create some of the best looking maps I have ever seen. They are tough but very fair in their fights and set ups and the secrets are very satisfying to find, I also love the way all the secrets are visible from different access points, as well as how the maps interweave throughout themselves.

Based off the quake intro level it seems like you plan on a whole megawad? Either way, thankyou for making this spectacular mapset!

Its finished

It's done. (Link removed, see first post.)

Coop stuff has been tested in solo-net and adjusted.

The Shambler now does randomised damage in the 20 to 40 range, but has less hitpoints.

A variety of bug fixes and encounter tuning.

Not all that different on the whole, if you played the beta then you've played this pretty much.

(In the end I didn't add the deltafont stuff for Eternity, since I assume stable releases will be the player default. But it will certainly be used for the sequels.)

I added everyone whose feedback prompted direct changes, to the credit screen, but I would also like to thank everyone else whose comments encouraged me onwards. Shamefully, I can't remember who it was who lent me the combined SSG sfx, that helped free up some sounds, but I am grateful. And of couse, I would like to thank all the source-port and editor authors, whose works are the foundation upon which this little episode rests.

Edited by Urthar

This wad is amazing.  Not only are maps great (one exception...) but I've never felt so immersed in the world of Quake while playing DooM. Quake should have played like this!

Map06 is the exception, it seems like the aesthetic is rushed & is undersupplied for pistol start IMO even with all secrets. Thankfully Map08 exists to generally keep a bad aftertaste away.

Map thoughts will follow here if NOT picked for next DWMC.

Am I doing something wrong? When I load this WAD in GZDoom 2.3.3. I just get normal Doom 2. How do I play this?

@SiFi270  Nice, I'll have to give Samsara a go at some point.

@Rex705 Sorry, I'm at a bit of a loss. If you can play Doom2 normally on GZDoom, then DotB should work just fine. Even dragging the zip file onto gzdoom.exe without extracting the wad file first works. And, since DotB is compatible with ZDoom 2.8.1 I would imagine GZDoom 2.3.3 should be ok. All I can suggest is trying GZDoom 3.2.2

@ShadesMaster Can't sorry, there's no room for any additional SFX in MBF Dehacked. Decorate is another matter of course, so they might very well made an appearance in the ZDoom sequel.

Ok so I got it to work but with an error. It seems If I unzip the file and try to load wad as normal it won't work and will just start normal Doom 2. If I rename it or put it in a folder it will not work. So the only way for me to play is to just leave it as a zip not place it in a folder or rename it and it will work but will give a red error saying Frame 705: incompatible code pointer 'RandomJump'

1 hour ago, Rex705 said:

Ok so I got it to work but with an error. It seems If I unzip the file and try to load wad as normal it won't work and will just start normal Doom 2. If I rename it or put it in a folder it will not work. So the only way for me to play is to just leave it as a zip not place it in a folder or rename it and it will work but will give a red error saying Frame 705: incompatible code pointer 'RandomJump'

Oh well, so long as it works. Sadly, I can't try to reproduce this bug, since the download options for earlier builds of GZDoom appear to expire once a new stable version is released. But I almost certainly would have been building and testing on versions 2.3.2 and 2.4.0, which seemed to work fine at the time. (I couldn't find any reference to a 2.3.3 version.)

In any case, the RandomJump is a Dehacked pointer which GZDoom should ignore as it will look up the Decorate code instead, so you should be able to safely ignore it.

Edited by Urthar

RandomJump for Dehacked has been supported in ZDoom since January 2010.

oh, I typed the wrong version it's GZ 3.3.2. Other than not being able to put it in a folder and all that everything works so it's all good :)

5 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

Beat Level 2 on Hard pistol start within the (very strict!) par time:

Nice one, it's always fun watching these sort of runs. I think the route I used for the par was Chaingun, hard right to BFG secret, then blast the Cacos and grab Blue Armour, then rush Gold Key, and head for the Exit. I tried a few times to use the Shambler attack as a sort of Archvile jump to activate the upper exit button and skip the finale, but I'm not a good enough player to consistently pull that off.

Looks like the "incompatible code pointer" thing is a glitch with an overzealous check. It's been fixed, so the next GZDoom version (which may happen sometimes soonish) shouldn't have this issue anymore.

1 hour ago, Urthar said:

Nice one, it's always fun watching these sort of runs. I think the route I used for the par was Chaingun, hard right to BFG secret, then blast the Cacos and grab Blue Armour, then rush Gold Key, and head for the Exit. I tried a few times to use the Shambler attack as a sort of Archvile jump to activate the upper exit button and skip the finale, but I'm not a good enough player to consistently pull that off.

My route I found best was a bit different once emerging from the BFG secret, keeping Cacos asleep for longer as well. In the last room, I don't see how a jump to the top switch would save that much time, unless you were able to get by without fighting either Shambler (I killed the top one).

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

In map 05, when I take the first secret to the blue armor, how do I get out of there? 

You've probably already discovered the answer, but a leap of faith is required to transverse the void.

I love these maps and i sincerely hope that you are gonna make more of these!

15 minutes ago, Urthar said:

You've probably already discovered the answer, but a leap of faith is required to transverse the void.

Yeah, well, not sure, since it's slippery and damaging, and seemed odd to me if crossing it "naked" is the only way. 

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Yeah, well, not sure, since it's slippery and damaging, and seemed odd to me if crossing it "naked" is the only way. 

I also got confused with that. It took me a while to realize that that was what I was supposed to be doing.

There seems to be some issue with the DEHACKED of RC1.

GZDoom gives this error message:

Frame 750: Incompatible code pointer 'RandomJump'

Not a showstopper, but I'd like to know what's causing this...

*Edit*

I see that the issue had already been reported, with a different frame number, though (705).

Edited by NightFright

A couple of things in map 05:

1. This monster remained sleepy forever.

2. In the BK area, at the top of the stairs, I'd suggest some monster block lines so this doesn't happen, because being Boom/MBF you can push the mancubus off the lift.