Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Urthar

Dimension of the Boomed

@NightFright , Gez answered this one earlier.

20 hours ago, Gez said:

Looks like the "incompatible code pointer" thing is a glitch with an overzealous check. It's been fixed, so the next GZDoom version (which may happen sometimes soonish) shouldn't have this issue anymore.

@galileo31dos01, thank you for finding those bugs. I'll look into fixing them along with other ones bought up in the DWMC thread.

Never commented on this, although I played it a while back when it was still in beta (albeit already in a very polished state).

At the risk of repeating what has already been said, I feel I need to add my voice to the plentiful and very well-deserved praise this has received. It's a beautiful and incredibly well-designed, consistently fun set of maps (played on ITYTD, using PrBoom+). As someone who is more of a Quake player than a Doom player, I have to say you did an outstanding job of merging the two. Like others have said, the little homages to the original Quake levels are wonderful, as is the way each map then transitions to its own, entirely new but still very Quake-y experience. Construction and texture usage is superb throughout. Great secrets too; I spent a fair amount of time hunting around and trying to find all the remaining secrets after clearing each map. I think there are still a few I never managed to find -- but even without that incentive, I can see myself returning to this episode every so often in future.

Release Candidate 2  (Link removed, see first post for Release Candidate 3.)

Structural changes to maps 4 & 6 to expedite progression.

A variety of bug fixes and minor alterations.

Scrag health reduced to 150.

Hopefully this should be the final version. Thank you to everyone in the Doomworld MegaWad Club, for your feedback and insights.

(That said, at least a couple of different flavours of DotB could turn up in the future. One for the idgames archive with the NIN soundtrack replaced with Midi, and Eternity deltafonts added. And another I'm working on at the moment for the popular QCDE mod.)

Edited by Urthar

I wonder how OSJC's Quake weapons he made for Heretic would fit into this project... Anyway, this is a great release and certainly Cacoward material. I'd still like to see reduced enemy amounts for lower difficulties implemented eventually, but it's quite possible to beat it even for a rather modestly skilled player like me. ^^

21 hours ago, Urthar said:

One for the idgames archive with the NIN soundtrack replaced with Midi, and Eternity deltafonts added.

There's a playthrough of your WAD on YouTube with Quake 2 soundtrack. It's up to a personal preference, but I think Q2 music also works reasonably well.

I played this. It's awesome. Congratulations! In its intricacy and high-quality detail, it reminded me of Arcane Dimensions -- especially Necropolis. Great combination of Doom combat with Quake aesthetic. It borrows from both games but feels enough like its own thing (The Witch House -- wow!)

A question: Quake has a number of visual "themes" to its levels, but from what I remember, it moves more liberally between them than, say, Doom, which essentially just goes from techbase to hell. For future episodes of this, do you have any ideas regarding the visual progression in terms of textures and locations, for the sake of distinguishing each episode from the others? Or is the approach going to be more spontaneous, free-flowing?

@Wanderer Yeah, Silent Zorah did midi versions of most if not all the Quake II tracks. I probably won't use those, but there's a couple of Quake ones he also made, which seem like obvious candiates. And I've found a few other midis by other authors which seem to evoke the right sort of atmosphere.

@mattjoes The Elderworld church texture scheme is something I want to get in for the sequel. I originally intended to have Necropolis use it, but it didn't look right when I tried to apply it. Other than that, my plans mosty involve making use of ZDoom UDMF & Decorate features to implement things I wasn't able to do in Boom format, such as wall mounted nail shooters, and rooms above rooms.

@Jon Thanks, I'll have to check that out for the sequel if nothing else. For the idgames archive version, it's probably safer to stick to midi. I get the impression they're not massive fans of megabytes of sound files, especially if there's even a hint of copyright infringement.

@Urthar I meant literal tracks from Q2 OST, not their midi renditions. As seen (heard?) in this video playthrough of your WAD. I mean, it doesn't seem to look like something you will go with for a final release, but Q2 soundtrack has been used without much problems (as far as I can tell) in WADs published to idgames before. One such example would be Zaero.

4 hours ago, Wanderer said:

@Urthar I meant literal tracks from Q2 OST, not their midi renditions. As seen (heard?) in this video playthrough of your WAD. I mean, it doesn't seem to look like something you will go with for a final release, but Q2 soundtrack has been used without much problems (as far as I can tell) in WADs published to idgames before. One such example would be Zaero.

Yeah it's a great video, but there's no point in replacing the Quake OST with the Q2 OST. Though I quite like a bit of Sonic Mayhem, and Ziggurat Mayhem did originally use Descent into Ceberon.

Whatever music you use, it should sound similar to the NIN tracks used in Quake. I don't mind if the original tracks are removed in that case.

There's this one woman project - Ars Sonor, that plays in an Electronic Soundscapes/Industrial/Ambient mix of genres and has her music released under Attribution License. And while there is some variety in how her works sounds, at least my opinion is, that if there is some will to pick custom music for DotB, she has some nice moody atmospheric tracks to choose from.

Here's a link: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Ars_Sonor

And as taster try this album: https://freemusicarchive.org/music/Ars_Sonor/Raoul_Wallenbergs_Fantastiska_Resa_Genom_Gteborg/

@NightFright I have no intention of removing the Quake OST. There will always be a version of the mod on Mediafire (and very likely ModDB) that contains it. Infact, until there's a stable release of Eternity that implements deltafonts, I'm not even thinking about uploading a version to idgames. And potentially, the maintainers of the archive could reject DotB on grounds other than the OST entirely, so there's no guarantee that an idgames version will ever exist.

@Wanderer Thanks, I'll have a listen.

Wow! I just finished playing this and it was awesome!

I enjoyed every minute of it; I particularly liked MAP 03 (Gibbous Grotto) and MAP 05 (The Witch House).

And the music was so eerie. I played most of it last night with all the lights off in my home for added effect LOL!!

Just have one question:

Is DOTB_RC2.zip the final release or is this still in Beta?

This has Cacoward written all over it. I never wanted it to end!

Thank you for making it! :)))

Thanks for playing :)

If you like the music, then I recommend playing Quake itself (if you haven't already,) with the original NIN soundtrack too. (Generally, not available when you buy the game on Steam or GOG, so you may have to go look for it Elsewhere.)

Is RC2 the final verison? Pretty much, unless someone runs across a game breaking bug. Otherwise any future changes will be very minor and mostly cosmetic.

There's a QCDE version in the works. That's mostly done, I'm just waiting on seeing what changes DBThanos makes to the mod in the next update.

There's a 32bit true color ZDoom version, for better weapon mod compatibly and I intend to release that along side the QCDE version.

Finally there's the id games archive version, for which I would like to incorporate Eternity's deltafont system. I've mostly got all the midi tracks I want for that sorted out, but I'm quite happy to wait for the next stable release of Eternity before uploading that.

Oh great, somone bumped this thread. Perfect excuse for me to chime in and just quickly mention how incredibly dense the atmosphere in this mapset is. I just recently played through it and I was simply amazed by the overall design. Incredibly well done, especially "Necropolis" which was just... mind boggling. Really great mapset, a pity that it was so short.

Thank you very much, I hope I didn't waste your time by posting this.

Edited by elend

Just wanted to chime in and say that this mapset is fantastic.  I've been playing it with Doom 64 Weapons and having those guns along with the Quake textures and music and the OG Doom baddies is a marriage made in hell.  Love it.

Thanks so much for releasing this.  I really hope to see more like it in the future... Could be another community mapping project?

@ Urthar: Incredibly. I've never played Quake or any of the sequels, and I'm a huge fan of NIN! WTH is wrong with me?!!?

But I have Quake II here somewhere. Shoot, I'll play it just for the music! LOL!!

BTW, I asked if this was the "final" release b/c I wasn't certain if Demos/Betas could be nominated for Cacowards.

So I am nominating Dimension of the Boomed for a well deserved Cacoward. Talk about a shoo-in! :)

@dylux I don't know about the Cacowards. There's been some outstanding work released this year, and it's still only July. If you do get Quake, then I recommend checking out some of the custom content on Quaddicted (Arcane Dimensions is a must see,) and getting a modern sourceport such as Quakespasm to play it on.

Thanks for the kind words @elend and @Average I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

You're so modest! I see already a few have nominated DOTB. That's how I found it. And this WAD is nothing short of outstanding.

Give it time. Not every Doom fan visits Doomworld (but they should!). I found it (by sheer accident/luck) by reading some of the Nominations.

Thank you for the links! I will definitely check these out. In fact, I am going to as soon as I type this sentence LOL!!

As much as it worth, but I agree with @dylux, this is definitely a Cacowards material. @Urthar, have you released anything apart from DotB? I tried searching the idgames, but it came up with nothing. And I would be very interested in checking out your previous work.

Edited by Wanderer

I was going to direct you to the alpha of 'Way Too Many Dead Guys', but screw it, I've sat on this for long enough.

Here's the first part of the beta version instead:

Thanks for that!

Going to try this W2MDG (it's downloaded) as soon as I am done with QuakeSpasm that you suggested. Hahaha! Got it all set up (with soundtrack) and it works great. 

Now I need read the tutorial on how to run mods, etc. and I am good to go. :)))))

I played through this over the last week. I really enjoyed it, visually appealing and an engaging challenge. I especially liked all the little details in Necropolis and the atmosphere of Witch House. The difficulty seemed to be perfect for me on Ultraviolence, I got a little stuck in a few spots but always managed to pull through with enough quick-loads. The new monsters are great - those Spawn are a menace (to good effect). Overall this is a great episode / partial conversion.

*Note. On Witch House, in the large square room w/ the exit teleporter, when activating the switches to raise the floor: After activating the third switch I was able to run across the room and prevent the Shambler from spawning. Not sure if you were aware it was possible to do, so just thought I would point it out in case it is not intended.

8 hours ago, SulfurOccult said:

*Note. On Witch House, in the large square room w/ the exit teleporter, when activating the switches to raise the floor: After activating the third switch I was able to run across the room and prevent the Shambler from spawning. Not sure if you were aware it was possible to do, so just thought I would point it out in case it is not intended.

Thanks for playing! I'll check those teleport spawns again and see I can make them 100% reliable in the future.

I've played the release before new maps were added - hella great wad! I wanted to know what mapslots new maps inhabit.

14 hours ago, JDR said:

I've played the release before new maps were added - hella great wad! I wanted to know what mapslots new maps inhabit.

Sure, you'll find them on map 4, 5, 6 and 7.

This shit is dope.

At the Necropolis at the moment, and so far I've only encountered one semi-serious bug. One lift (tagged 39, I think) in the first map stopped working properly at some point - it started to go down to the floor instead of up, though there's another way to the exit therefore I didn't have to cheat.

Red buttons are reserved for shootable triggers in Quake, so it's slightly confusing to see all button designs being used interchangeably.

Someone needs to make a Knave episode for this. I almost want to try, but I'm already swamped with shit I can't finish, and the mapping style already used seems to be complicated.

Edited by Da Werecat

Thanks @Da Werecat glad you're enjoying it so far.

The lift glitch is fairly rare, and has been around since Alpha. Since I've never been able to trigger it consistently, I've never been able to fix it. If anyone knows what's going on with that, let me know.

Despite playing Quake down the years, that particular bit of the game's visual language regarding red buttons never occurred to me. It's not something that's critical enough to warrant a RC3, but I'll keep in mind when I start mapping the sequel.