Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dybbuk81

How to Intermission Text

I don't know if it's just a slow moving morning or ZDOOM stuff changed too much and there's too many conflicting old and new versions of ACS but my ADD is preventing me from a working MAPINFO with working INTERMISSION TEXT. Is there someone who did it frequently that knows it well who could help me with a working example for the latest/last zdoom?

map MAP01 "A" {
  cluster = 1
  next = MAP02
}
map MAP02 "B" {
  cluster = 2
}
cluster 1 {
  exittext = "Text"
}
Text should display after you exit MAP01.

THAT is what I'm trying to figure out. I'm rocking 3 pages worth of text for just the beginning of the game

lokust said:

THAT is what I'm trying to figure out. I'm rocking 3 pages worth of text for just the beginning of the game

With that amount of text you would be better served by using a TITLEMAP and hudmessages, which allow a fading in/out effect, in a script. Using this also gives you control over text font and text colour.

Just using exittext allows up to 30 lines of text of 59 characters, when the resolution is 1920x1080. Obviously fewer lines/characters with a smaller resolution.

^ Such a scripted sequence could be used either in a TITLEMAP, or in a normal first map. In a TITLEMAP, the player could skip the entire sequence simply by starting a new game, but the sequence could not react to player input, so that each page would have to stay on screen for a predefined amount of time, and if the player needed more time to read the page, or he wanted to go to the next page sooner, he would not be able to do so. In a normal map, the behavior of the use button could be coded to match its behavior on an actual intermission screen, and also, after the sequence ended, the player could be teleported into a playable area in the very same map.

The dependance on screen resolution is common for both actual intermission texts and ACS-scripted hudmessages in maps. The latter provides possibilities available to overcome this issue, at the cost of a more complicated script, though. One possibility is GetScreenWidth/GetScreenHeight + some conditional branching for different text sizes. Another possibility is to use text size fitting the lowest resolution, and display the text in the middle of the screen, which would make it look small in higher resolutions, though.

I thought there used to be a different way with CTEXT01 or whatever.

My issue is I have a lot of story for each map, and the story is actually cut from a larger version. I wanted it to scroll quickly.