Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

The Joy of Mapping 3 (RELEASED)

akgvG1y.png

This session is over and the maps are complete! Thanks so much to everyone who participated.

Download Links:
Current Release: Release Candidate
Dropbox / Powerhouse
Requires GZDoom/QZDoom/Zandronum.

Spoiler

txrqYfZ.pngI71VhGr.png
db671xo.png
KhL6Qsz.png
8sU9V6j.png
C0pSUoD.png
XUk9WxY.png

Map list:

MAP01: First Map - Polyducks
MAP02: Battle Tendency - DrPyspy
MAP03: Cart Before The Horse - Anonymous
MAP04: Infestation Station - Gutawer
MAP05: Sewer Or Later - A2Rob
MAP06: Capricious Cavern - Baratus
MAP07: WaterWorld - DukeWooze
MAP08: THE IMPS, OH GOD - DoomTheRobot
MAP09: Techno Keep - Mystyc Cheez
MAP10: Phobos Micro Computer Lab - kevansevans
MAP11: Lost Stock Holding Station - walter confalonieri
MAP12: Fortress of Blood - Dalvi Dandy
MAP13: Dandy and Sandy - vbob
MAP14: Sand Wedge - Pinchy
MAP15: Subterranean Headaches - Breezeep
MAP16: Slimy Nook - Alfonzo
MAP17: Midal - SAraisVanu
MAP18: Library of Horrors - rdwpa
MAP19: Vacant - AD_79
MAP20: Mountain Base Atlas - DooM_RO
MAP21: Funked Up - Fonze
MAP22: Embers - ZZYZX
MAP23: Oasis2 - Jimmy

=====

The Joy of Mapping is back to help mappers young and old to get the spark of creativity that they need to make and finish a map all of their own.

My Twitch Stream - Where it will be broadcast for general viewing. (Anyone partaking in the Discord voice chat should view the stream without its audio.)
Discord channel Link - For general communication before, after, and during the stream.

The Discord chat is open now, though my availability may vary over the week. I am happy to provide answers to any queries you may have!

What is this?

Spoiler

• Have you heard of a thing called "Doom mapping" which is that thing a load of snobby retrophiles do for fame and glory?
  • Have you opened up Doom Builder maybe once or twice but been utterly intimidated by the interface?
  • Does mapping seem to you like something best left to "the professionals"?
  • Then come along down! Myself and a couple of helpful mapping tutors shall be hosting an instructional speedmapping/tuition session for an hour or two, which will be hosted on Discord and Twitch, for the newbiest among us. We'll all come together and make a mapset.

You will learn:

Spoiler

• How to shape your map interestingly.
  • How to think about encounters.
  • How to keep your map from spiralling into an overly large mess.
  • Different ways to approach mapping workflow.

How this works:

Spoiler

• Show up to the Discord server, and get in contact with me through the #mapping channel. You don't need Discord installed, as the web app will do just fine. Discord, for those not in the know, is a powerful communication program with text chat, voice chat, file sharing, streaming support, and all sorts of other goodies.
  • You won't need to have voice enabled for this session, but it might help to be party to what's going on. I will be making important announcements over voice, Discord chat, and maybe Twitch chat.
  • There will also be a Twitch stream through which I'll broadcast what's happening on my screen. You may refer to this throughout the session if you wish.
  • You can map in whatever format you like, as long as the map will run in ZDoom.
  • We will map for an hour, maybe two. In that time, I'll be giving a set of instructions to all the participants. Every 5 minutes the mappers will receive a new thing to do with their map. It'll be a mostly general thing rather like "make a set of stairs", or "make a connecting bridge" or "place down some decorations". I'll give details on how these things are done if needed. But it's up to the mappers to implement these instructions as best they can, in whatever stylistic way they choose.
  • At the end of the mapping session, we should all have complete maps - we'll take a while to playtest and bugfix anything. Missing textures, erroneous tags, misalignments and such will all be cleared up here.
  • The mappers should upload their WADs to the Discord channel (or post links to them there) once they're ready to share. Your map will then enter the roster for the compilation WAD I will create out of everyone's submissions.

Rules for the chat:

Spoiler

• Stay on-topic please! Talk to your friends about the latest memes in private messages if you have to.
  • Disruptive or disparaging behavior will not be tolerated. Don't be a Negative Nancy. We're all here to have fun. Moderators are employed in the chat, just in case disruptions become a problem.
  • You can check the time before the session starts by typing !timeleft, or bring up the relevant threads for this session with "!dwthread" or "!zdthread". "!joymaps#" will give you the /idgames link for the previous sessions.
  • Excessive posting of images, unless it's of your map, is discouraged. The chat will have image thumbnails enabled, so please don't spam.
  • Don't be afraid to ask any (relevant) questions, no matter how obvious they may seem. I, a tutor, or a moderator, will likely be able to assist. Highlight me with "@Jimmy" or the "@Tutors" or "@Moderators" group.
  • Please don't spam highlights.
  • If you wish to be on voice chat during the session, you'll need to let me know you're participating so I can add you to the Mappers group. Highlight me if you need access.
  • Please be courteous to the other students on voice chat. If you have lots of background noise going on, please enable Push-To-Talk.
  • As already said - have fun!! Fun is mandatory here.

DqnOVxb.png

Edited by Jimmy

This seems like a really nice idea. I'd really like to join to iron out some of my mapping bottlenecks.

Will we be able to use custom texture packs? I'd really like to try out the new Doom 3 pack.

I will likely provide a texture WAD to be used by the participants. Custom textures will probably be allowed but only if they use the TEXTURES lump or the TX_START/END markers for their definitions.

Texture wad!

Standard: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmq7rvbgy1kzlf8/jimmytex-lite.wad?dl=1
ZDoom-compat: https://www.dropbox.com/s/weyz72nznrytwtt/jimmytex-lite-zdoom.wad?dl=1

The standard texture wad works in Boom, if you prefer to map/test in PrBoom and such. It should also be Vanilla-compatible.

The ZDoom texture wad uses TX markers and ANIMDEFS to define the textures.

To reiterate, any map format is permitted as long as ZDoom supports it!
Please use the Doom 2 IWAD.

Great session everybody! Big thanks to Jimmy and friends for hosting this and fielding questions; it's awesome to see this event grow each time!

Internal alpha testing is complete and now we have a public beta! With 23 submissions, this is our largest session yet. Congratulations and many thanks to all the mappers who participated. There are some great maps in this collection.

Download Links:
Current Release: Public Beta
Dropbox / Powerhouse

Map list:

MAP01: First Map - Polyducks
MAP02: Battle Tendency - DrPyspy
MAP03: Cart Before The Horse - Anonymous
MAP04: Techno Keep - Mystyc Cheez
MAP05: Infestation Station - Gutawer
MAP06: Sewer Or Later - A2Rob
MAP07: Capricious Cavern - Baratus
MAP08: WaterWorld - DukeWooze
MAP09: THE IMPS, OH GOD - DoomTheRobot
MAP10: Phobos Micro Computer Lab - kevansevans
MAP11: Mountain Base Atlas - DooM_RO
MAP12: Lost Stock Holding Station - walter confalonieri
MAP13: Fortress of Blood - Dalvi Dandy
MAP14: Dandy and Sandy - vbob
MAP15: Sand Wedge - Pinchy
MAP16: Subterranean Headaches - Breezeep
MAP17: Slimy Nook - Alfonzo
MAP18: Midal - SAraisVanu
MAP19: Vacant - AD_79
MAP20: Funked Up - Fonze
MAP21: Library of Horrors - rdwpa
MAP22: Embers - ZZYZX
MAP23: Oasis2 - Jimmy
Critical feedback for the mappers, especially those new to the scene, will be gladly welcomed. :)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/119777527

Well, here's my playthrough. Was fun for the most part.

I apologise to Doom_RO and Fonze in advance; both your maps made me rage. I also wasn't happy to see the "invisible Barons" on SAraisVanu's map.

Otherwise, a mixture of the good and the alright. I particularly liked the maps by Gutawer and vbob as the newcomers. Also good maps by AD, Breezeep and Pinchy.

Roll on Joy of Mapping 4....

Glad you enjoyed my map Suite ;D You did say in the last session you wanted to see some good bull usage, kek. Shame my map made you rage 10 seconds into it, but that's what difficulty settings are for. In all honesty, though, Suite, I'd rather see you skip my map then get pissed off playing it; playing Doom is supposed to be fun. Only 1/4 of the monsters in this map were revenants; about 1/2 of the monsters were bulls. FYI, you can pacifist my map, gg.

Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/119777527

Well, here's my playthrough. Was fun for the most part.

I apologise to Doom_RO and Fonze in advance; both your maps made me rage. I also wasn't happy to see the "invisible Barons" on SAraisVanu's map.

Otherwise, a mixture of the good and the alright. I particularly liked the maps by Gutawer and vbob as the newcomers. Also good maps by AD, Breezeep and Pinchy.

Roll on Joy of Mapping 4....

Oh don't worry, I quite enjoyed watching you play ;D

These are some really cool maps. I liked maps 5, 10, 13, and 19 the most, and an honorable mention to 22 for really cool aesthetics.

Nice job all around, I look forward to the next one of these.

Public beta 2 is out with a few crucial changes.

Download Links:
Dropbox / Powerhouse

Thanks a ton for the interest so far, folks!

Edited by Jimmy : See below post

After a bunch of procrastinating on my part, I'm happy to release The Joy of Mapping 3.

Download Links:
Current Release: Release Candidate
Dropbox / Powerhouse

Spoiler

txrqYfZ.pngI71VhGr.png
db671xo.png
KhL6Qsz.png
8sU9V6j.png
C0pSUoD.png
XUk9WxY.png

Doomworld's new update means the "final" release is still pending, but this probably won't get any more changes unless crucial problems are found. Please play!

Edited by Jimmy

Feedback is appreciated. I'll probably still keep working on "Midal" from time to time; as I'm still relatively uncertain of myself and my works.

This said, knock yourself out if you want to modify it. Nobody's stopping you; hell, I prefer it. It's good for a newcomer to have people tweaking and modifying your map and showing your changes off. Helps the brain make connections.

My process of thought for the map was simplistic. We were given the texture pack and I started looking through it. I found the gold fluid textures to my liking, and thought a cave system would of been nice (there was going to be a sunderlike detailed peice in the middle with the goldflow but it was cut for time constraints and skill lacking). It's still very much more of an experimental map; but you should sort of get the idea; UAC teleporting in a couple of troops and yourself to secure the area and the lost little outpost that's researching the gold fluid's bizzare healing properties. (the map's gimmick originally intending to be zero healthkits but little bits of this stuff around the map to rely on)

Various detailing experiments also went on here. I still don't know how I would make this map best.

Were I even being allowed to use them; the cacodemons would of been replaced with the Echelon Midas-fiends.

The original music was ripped out of DoomRL, being the "it's too hot down here" track.

My current focus is on my map for another, unannounced mapping project, however.

Edited by SArais

These look lovely! Really like the custom textures I see in those shots

This is my first "Joy of Mapping" Wad i ever played

I played through the whole thing in 1:27:44 ! :D

The Maps were a little bit short but most of them Fun to play. I think my favourite Maps were "Library of Horrors" by rdwpa and "Oasis2" by Jimmy.

The hardest Map was without Question the one by Fonze... I funked up many times... All in All a good wad and a good counterpart to the doomworld megawad project :)

Edited by DAZZER