Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

What are your computer specs?

Eris Falling said:

I can at least do more important things though, which is all that matters ultimately. FL Studio sometimes gives me a bit of hassle on busier pieces of music - there was one where I couldn't even listen to the mix before rendering it because it was overloading memory and cpu and becoming a distorted cacophony due to that, but generally no real issues.

Then you probably should use Reaper instead, it's good at managing resources (and at everything else, it's a bit more complex though).

Yeah I've had Reaper recommended to me a few times - planning to transition to it this year along with some other music-related changes. Exciting times...

Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4 CPU
2.52GHz, 512MB of RAM

That's my main home computer I use for most things (except work and recording music). It still works, so...

Main:
i7 5775C 3.30 GHZ
16 GB RAM
Intel Iris Pro 6200 internal GPU
Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit

Secondary:
Intel Core 2 Quad, 2.83 GHZ
8 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 7700, 1 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit

Dell Optiplex:
Intel Pentium 3, 1.4 GHZ
256 MB RAM
ATI graphics card (can't think of the series, but it's old)
Windows 98 SE

My two laptops are old computers from Fujitsu Siemens and Acer respectively. They both used to run Windows Vista (Home Edition, 32 bit), but I installed Lubuntu on the Acer one. I can't be arsed to look up the specific details on them, but if I do I'll edit this post to include it.

I also have my old Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo laying around, and my partner's old Intel Pentium D. I'm still thinking of how to re-purpose those.

Rayzik said:

Current two year old build

CPU: AMD-8350, 8-core, OC'ed to 4.4GHz
GPU: RX 390X, 8GB VRAM, 1150MHz clock I think? It's an MSi model
RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz
Mobo: Asus Crosshair V, Formula Z AMD 990FX
Case: Deepcool Kendomen Mid tower

And I have 2TB of hard drive spread over 5 drives, 1TB main drive, two aux 320GB drives (one for video recording), and two 240GB SSDs for game installs.

Considering upgrades to the new gen later this year or next year perhaps.

Sounds like you don't need a heater in your room! :'D

Agentbromsnor said:

Sounds like you don't need a heater in your room! :'D

One of the downsides to high performance computing. I did the smart thing though and located my tower in a remote location.

Rayzik said:

One of the downsides to high performance computing. I did the smart thing though and located my tower in a remote location.

Well, even more so because you're using AMD. ;)

Ehhh. It only makes a real difference in ambient temperature after at least an hour of load or so. The CPU tops out around 55C and the GPU might hit 75C on the most demanding of settings. After two hours of Doom 2016, it does raise ambient by about 5 degrees or so, given I keep my house at 78F in the summer and 70F in the winter, it's not that big of an issue.

I did have a 9590 at one point, and I could not keep that thing cool at all. I think the 8350 I got is the perfect balance.

AMD FX-8320 @ 4GHz
16GB DDR3
EVGA GTX 980
ASUS VG248QE
A bunch of SSDs and HDDs
Windows 10

Acer Aspire 7745g
CPU: Intel core i5 460M 2.53 GHz (odd number for a cpu frequency)
GPU: Amd Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Hard Disk Drive: Western Digital 750 GB
Ram: 4GB (probably DDR3)
O.S.: Good old trusty Windows 7 (Home Edition)

2 years ago it could play new games on medium to low, but for today's standards the GPU is considered poop. I will change it with an i5 6600k, RX 480, 8GB desktop (custom built, planned during summer).

Desktop:
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v3 3.40 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770
HDD: Intel 530 SSD 240 GB & Western Digital Blue 1TB
RAM: 16GB DDR3
MoBo: ASRock B85 Pro4
Monitor: LG Flatron W2452T 24" 1920x1200
Speakers: Bose Companion 2 2.0
Other: Samsung DVD burner, Intel 7260AC PCI-E Wifi/BT

Laptop:
Lenovo T420
CPU: Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 IGP
HDD: PNY XLR8 SSD 240 GB

Agentbromsnor said:

I've read that AMD processors are slowly getting better in terms of heat radiation, but it's still a funny trope to poke fun at IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06MYYB9bl70

My last amd machine was definitely a heater. When I ran doom or gta5 on it I would literally start sweating in a matter of minutes :P Was a good PC though

CPU: Intel Core i3-4360 CPU @ 3.70GHz
GPU: Powercolor AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB
HDD: Western Digital 465 GB HDD
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Killer

It runs!

This is the one i use for games

Usually, i have 32gb ram but i'm testing some ram for a friend

This is the laptop to take to trips.

That Old Vaio can run Doom 2016 low settings at 30 fps max 8 fps min

This is a laptop that i use for old xp games and for some old Dos games.
It was mfg when Vista was released and like most Pc and laptos of that era, the Hardware was OK for XP but NOT good for Vista.
Tried to update to 7 and it runs a bit better than Vista but not that much. Tried Xubuntu and Lubuntu, but the lack of good drivers for the SIS mirage is a big downsize. Stuck at very low resolutions.
Worst the motherboard only supports 3gb ram MAX, even if you have x64 os.....
Xp has Issue with the Sound driver, no longer supported, etc.
So i said hell, i'm putting the ye old Win2k, no sound driver issues, works just fine and even if it is no longer supported i put Avira and a old version of Malware Defender, that's very strict....

Also i have a few raspberry pi 3b, that i use for few things. One of them is running retropie.

I still have some old motherboards from Win7 era with some early Amd Quad Core. But they need ram and new PSU

Coming Soon: P3 with Win98SE . I work for a Health care company, they have few Hospitals. I'm in charge of the IT Area of one of them, a few months ago we started to migrate to Win10 and upgrade all the Machines. In my building we have about 200 Pcs, a lot Dual Core HP, Dell, Some AMD64 Lenovos, among those Machine i was able to find that P3, it's in perfect shape. It was not in use.....
So i making the paperwork to it with my, since for the Company is just old scrap....

Agentbromsnor said:

Well, even more so because you're using AMD. ;)

True, i can put a piece on meat on top of my desktop (Same CPU as the other poster) and after few minutes is going to be ready to eat...

My main gaming rig is a repurposed cryptocurrency mining rig. 2x7990s crossfired and an Intel i5 at 3.7ghz. I put a custom watercool loop in it to not worry about the heat. It's probably dated (nooo it runs Windows 8.1) but it gets the job done and runs lots of monitors.

I have an AMD laptop running Linux as a secure work computer and that's what I do my Doom gaming on. It doesn't run much else. Team Fortess 2... sort of. So at least I have two choices when I travel.

I recently got a Raspberry Pi 3 and it's a lot of fun. It boots Retropie, Openelec or Ubuntu 16.04. It currently occupies my mancave next to my turntable. Next I need to set up my NAS to stream audio though Openelec via USB to my headphone amp, but I keep getting distracted by Retropie. It's a hit at parties.