Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is a small gimmicky map that has no monsters. Instead you have to solve mathematical problems or be squished, dissolved or blown up.

AXowKVv.png

Download

Idgames link

Boom-compatible. Tested in zDoom and PrBoom+ (compatibility level 9).

Edited by Albatross

Lol, this is funny and reminds me of the thread a little while ago about bringing math to Doom for education. I feel like the "fat fuck mancubus" part cheapened the wad a bit, but still it was a nice little diversion.

And why the Hell not, here's an FDA to prove how stupid I iz.

Good job :)

rdwpa said:

Hahaha this is great. :D

Thanks.

Fonze said:

how stupid I iz.

I thought you'd be dying 2 times on every question, but with only one mistake you should be proud of yourself.

Fonze said:

Good job :)

Thanks.

"Stayin' Alive" was a nice choice of music for this map. Also

Spoiler

the troll exit at the end was hilarious.

FDA. I dunno the sphere formula so I just figured that there must be an R^3 in it. Also I've read DaIcemann's spoiler so my demo is a little unfair.

RaphaelMode, is that you?

I'll play the map later and edit this post to provide feedback, this looks fun. Or totally not fun because I didn't come to DW to solve maths.

EDIT:
FDA:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1709810

Anyway, this is a weird map. I still think you're RaphaelMode, he had a similar wad.
I recommend it, though I don't quite understand the

Spoiler

caco's weight.

The other ones were easy.
Spoiler

the first one was great

nice wad :)

Spoiler:

Spoiler

the first question was a trick question, I knew it! :P Yet I failed on first try :D

Is this compatible with Brutal Doom? :p interesting concept. It's always nice to see a different take on mapping/modding. Cool stuff.

nice idea, thought I would like it much more if the correct answer is actually the right one to go further...

edit: haha I got the first one wrong because I did not read carefully enough (well, I call arachs spiders, so it was very obviously 5*8)... but what is it for example with the caco diameter? I do not get it

When a sphere's diameter becomes twice larger, the sphere becomes twice larger on all 3 dimensional axes. When any 3D object becomes twice larger on all 3 dimensional axes, its volume becomes 8-times larger in total. Mass is proportional to volume, so it also becomes 8-times larger. That's how I reasoned when picking my answer.

I've played this map earlier today, nice one. I've got all questions right on the first try, and died at the exit. :)

why should mass be proportional to volume? let me take a rubber cube and stretch it to double its size in all three dimensions, then its mass is still the same.

Because it was meant more like "What if there was an overgrown Cacodemon" than "What if somebody took a normal Cacodemon and stretched him by force".

Cute map.

I had a similar issue with the cacodemon question though... not only the idea that "increasing diameter doesn't mean increasing mass" but the question specifically says weight which also shouldn't be assumed to increase with an increase in diameter. Should probably be reworded to include something about density staying the same.

The Caco is meant to be "scaled up" rather than "stretched up", so its mass (just like its volume) should increase proportionally to the cube of the multiplier.

In the last room there's a crushed corpse right in front of the button and the ceiling flat is used as a crusher in the map, so I thought it was telegraphed pretty heavily that something is off, but maybe not.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I see thousands of corpses in Doom maps (and I saw some in this one too). Most of them don't mean anything. I don't see why I suddenly had to think that this particular one has a certain purpose. And showing a crusher flat to me doesn't work if I've never seen any crushers moving up until that point. The player can't even properly see that flat on all crushers except the one in the fat mancubus room. The other ones are too low. This just doesn't work at all.

cute and fun little idea. i saw the exit crusher coming just from a few clues: the sense of humor of the map, and the grate in the corner that was indented. i think as soon as i dropped down and saw the switch i started using all the walls first haha

Albatross said:

The Caco is meant to be "scaled up" rather than "stretched up", so its mass (just like its volume) should increase proportionally to the cube of the multiplier.

In the last room there's a crushed corpse right in front of the button and the ceiling flat is used as a crusher in the map, so I thought it was telegraphed pretty heavily that something is off, but maybe not.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

i actually opened the door before i hit the button. decorations should be used just as decorations.