Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi!
I've made a vanilla compatible doom 2 wad. Originaly, I planned it to be a whole megawad, but it turns out that those 6 maps here, took me more time than I thought and I decided not to continue working on it. If you are asking me what's wrong with the title, you are asking the wrong person. I don't know myself. Maps were made in gzdoom builder, title screen was made in microsoft paint.

screenshots:

Spoiler

Oh, and this is my first wad ever, so expect many noobie errors.
This is very easy map pack. I promise it's not a terry trap. I tried to make it as much not bullshit as possible.
This contains difficulty levels and secrets. I think you can't play it in coop.
You can notice that you completed my custom maps by starting to play regular doom 2 maps. I would upload this to idgames but I am retard and don't know how.
If you want to do anything with those maps (which you probably won't), then be my guest. You can even print it and hang it on your wall if you want.

MAP02, was posted by me in doomworldmegaproject 2016 but since then I midified it much.

Have Fun!

link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZvGbeuQZHCOF9LQnFZeXNtZkk/view?usp=sharing

Cute novice maps. Here are the demos of my playthrough.

One problem I noticed is some stuck monsters near the exit on Map01 (UV difficulty). Also you keep using these slowly lowering floors in traps, which just looks funny since the player can easily run away. You could use "floor lower to 8 above highest floor" actions for that because they are fast moving, even though the editor doesn't say that. Fun stuff otherwise, I liked the starting room of Map05 for example.

Homework: create a slightly longer map where the player has to make some choices and gets a few optional rooms to explore. Experiment with building stairs, switches that turn on the lights, and other triggers that you haven't used yet. Learn how to add new music.

Uploading to idgames is not so difficult, just follow the instructions.

Continuous FDA, covering all maps. You've clearly mastered basics of mapping and a few tricks, but playability could use a lot of improvement. Design was simple, progression straightforward, secrets obvious via automap, difficulty way too low (the only one interesting moment, when the demons popped up after passing a crusher corridor, was immediately broken by the demons teleporting out, so that no challenge took place after all). Try incorporating some actual non-linearity that lets the player choose where to go and his choice actually affecting the experience he gets. Try increasing challenge, for example by letting the player be attacked from multiple sides and heights at the same time. Try using different ways to hide secrets than doors with a misaligned non-door texture on them. Try working on lighting so that there will be greater contrast between bright and dark sectors. That's off the top of my head (mind you, these are generic advices, applicable to be told to almost any beginning mapper, but they should direct you towards creating a bit more interesting design).

Thank you both. I think that is the problem with mine design. I'd like to make more difficult maps, but every time I do try, it ends up being something too hard for me. I'll try not to overdo that lowering floors. Next time, I am going to make something less linear. Thank you again.

But the most important thing is, did you have fun playing it?

Rather experimental but at the same time monotone, the secrets were hidden the same few ways, the difficulty stayed stale, lighting is non-existent and the level design is linear.
But the traps and the texturing definetly got the long way from being slowly lowering walls to quickly opening doors.

Good growth, you're doing better than most beginners (including me), seems promising.

These maps are very short, but there's definitely something to work with here. You've varied the layouts of the rooms instead of sticking to a very simplistic grid, you've given the player space to move, you don't think "difficulty levels" means "replace an imp with an AV", and you've given the maps some verticality, so you're doing better than a lot of newbie wads (and I enjoyed playing it enough to feel it was worth giving you feedback :)

Onto the "room for improvement" bit:

General: You might be a bit too generous with the ammo. Even pistol-starting each level on Ultraviolence, there's not really any pressure on the ammo supply. Also, there are a few places where you're using unsupported pinkies in large, well-lit spaces with plenty of room to manoeuvre, which limits their effectiveness.

Spoiler

MAP01: The teleporter felt a bit like it was just there to test how teleporters worked. On Ultraviolence, the pinkie in the exit room overlaps the imp and zombieman, so none of them can do anything until you kill the pinkie. (Your editor probably has a sanity checker you could use to catch this kind of error.)

MAP02: The hitscanner closet that opens up in the first room after you collect the red key is sabotaged by the conveniently placed barrel.

MAP03: In a continuous playthrough, the player can easily arrive on the level with enough armour to not be in a hurry to pick up the green armour, so it might be worth linking the imp pillars to the same switch that lowers the wall around the green armour. The chaingunners on UV might be better placed in the exit room rather than the niches near the switch that opens it, since you can hit that switch and leave the corridor before the walls drop far enough for the chaingunners to see you.

MAP04: The computer textures are kind of badly used here. You've got some horizontal alignment problems going on, and the low ceilings cause awkward truncation of the textures as well. The blur sphere isn't worth opening a secret door in a nukage pool to get, since the only concentration of hitscanners large enough to justify needing it is so tightly packed that you can just liquefy them with the conveniently placed rocket launcher.

MAP05: No armour on this level was a little unusual.

MAP06: The imps in the crusher corridor are pointless, since the crusher will pulp them. The pinkies don't fare much better either; as noted, they might be better if they didn't get teleported away immediately. The Barons in the exit room aren't worth killing unless you're going for 100% kills, since you can just kite them back down the hallway into the start room then run through and slap the exit switch.

It was fun except for the final two barons. Killing them with SSG would take too long so I just skipped them. You should be careful when using strong monsters. It's easy to tire the player by making him shoot too much.