Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Plutonia Textures

The textures/patches for plutonia support are still placeholders.

The A-CAMO textures are mostly awful and should be entirely replaced. I hastily made them trying to implement final doom support. A-Vines is also quite terrible. There are also several A-brick textures that are bad recolors I made to fill the plutonia patch slots.

A-TILE should stay. I snagged it out of the attic and perfectly fits plutonia. Check pl2.wad map11. It looks good. Maybe needs a very slight touchup, but is ok for now.

I had a go at making some replacements. All of these are my own, except for mould which is a recolour of the existing Freedoom texture - which looked okay but I felt was too bright.

These textures are heavily edited from various nature photos, which I took myself.

In the spoiler, some screenshots of Plutonia MAP25 for comparison. Top: the current version of Freedoom. Middle: my replacement textures. Bottom: the original plutonia.wad.

Spoiler

Test wad for anyone who wants it: http://sta.sh/01hlhvdtghx6

Jewellds said:

I opened an issue on Github regarding an alignment issue on A-BROWN4, which I discovered while testing.

I was thinking about that too for a long time. It could be fixed via textures.cfg, but I was worried whether would this break compatibility with other WADs.

Glad to see chungy's back in action though!

Excellent update. =)

Not trying to derail the thread, but... when playing maps designed for Plutonia and/or Evilution, does Freedoom still show some glitchy graphics?

Like how on some waterfalls and such, it might show some of the wrong textures?

Four Loko Is Gross said:

Like how on some waterfalls and such, it might show some of the wrong textures?

Why would it do that? Textures are defined in the TEXTURE lumps. Nothing goes against the texture *******ions in those lumps.

If you look at the texture definitions for the animated textures in both Final Doom IWADs, it's apparent why their animations cannot be replicated in Freedoom without having two more IWADs. Their animations outright replace existing Doom 1/2 animations, even cramming in more animations to be selectively shown in-game via limited line length and realignment.

Freedoom2 is 100% doom2 compatible. So final doom wont be 100% since a few textures are the same.

Can maybe recolor the freedoom waterfall to green and make a pwad. Would be cool to have a final doom patch for freedoom on idgames. In case someone really needs properly colored slimefall. Freedoom might even host it. A single pwad for a patch is much cleaner than an entire iwad just for a couple texs.

Somehow find a way to make a compromise texture that fits both roles perfectly? Then again I don't know what textures these are and what the animations look like.

Catoptromancy said:

A single pwad for a patch is much cleaner than an entire iwad just for a couple texs.

I feel that it would actually complicate the end user's experience more than having new IWADs. That being said, I'm not in favor of having extra IWADs either.

I find it acceptable to have slightly broken textures in Final Doom PWADs not only due to the small volume of such PWADs, but Freedoom as-is is already aesthetically inconsistent with the id IWADs even with many Doom 1/2 PWADs.

Death Egg said:

Somehow find a way to make a compromise texture that fits both roles perfectly? Then again I don't know what textures these are and what the animations look like.

While that would be nice, there's no chance that would work. Here's what BLODGR1 looks like in TNT, for example.

Good work replacing those ugly textures! Those green textures are really cool, they could be used to do an alien ship or something else extraterrestrial. That would be a pretty good idea for a deathmatch map that would have a very different theme from every other map.

I'm working on my map (FreeDM MAP08) and I would like to use the texture with the animated saw (T-SLDRP1). Was it animated in Plutonia/TNT? I remember yes, but maybe I'm using the wrong texture?

I realized what was the problem.

First I was using the wrong texture. The one that's supposed to be animated is "SLAD##". SLAD1 is missing. There are SLAD2 to SLAD11, so I use SLAD2.

Second, since FreeDM runs in Doom II mode, then Plutonia and TNT texture which animation's are hard-coded in the Final Doom executable don't play.

I am using Chocolate-Doom. It can't be fixed by using "-gameversion final", so this may be a bug in the engine. I don't know how other engines would behave. If I do " -iwad tnt.wad -file map08/test08.wad -warp 8 -merge freedm.wad" it still doesn't work, that second test let me think that it's Freedoom that's broken.

Test map: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=01038098839934731924
(Warp to MAP08)

Another thing that I noticed is that SLADRIP1 and SLADRIP3 are different from what they are supposed to be. This is a mistake, but is still fine. Since Freedoom regroups every wad (Ultimate Doom, Doom II, TNT and Plutonia) there are textures conflicts. TNT has replaced a Doom 1 texture with something completely different. Doom's textures take precedence over TNT's textures, I guess, because they are more used.