Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

Damaged enemies sprite mod?

I was just watching some youtube vids where the player was using Smooth Doom (good stuff), and I thought it'd be mighty cool if the sprites changed as the enemies took damage. Like, a baron at 75% health would be a bit torn up, and at 25% he'd have limbs half-off. This is far beyond my capabilities to do, but I wanted to share the idea. But is this even possible, maybe with zdoom?

I was thinking about this the other day. I think it would require a large variety of different damage states in order for it to remain interesting though. For example: sometimes an enemy might end up losing a leg when heavily damaged, other times an arm, etc.

NaturalTvventy said:

But is this even possible, maybe with zdoom?

Yes, this could be easily done with Zdoom's decorate using a check_health command. The real hard work would be the sprites themselves.
This is a neat idea, would not be nice visually only, but also a way to indicate monsters health.

I always thought that fighting games like Street Fighter should feature this.

Not sure it's really worth the effort when the objective is always mowing enemies down as quickly as possible.

Would be nice for the cyberdemon and spider mastermind, though. They have large enough health pools for it to matter, and when you're fighting multiples it'd help you focus down the ones you've already heavily damaged without them just getting lost in the crowd.

When they're at the end of their ropes, they could also begin dripping blood constantly. If there's permanent blood pools, it would be a good way to track a monster, or just a cool effect in general.

Growing up playing Quake 2, I was always a fan of this sort of effect and trying it in Doom has crossed my mind more than once. Not sure how to do it practically, though.

I know this isn't what you're after, but Risen3D/Doomsday shows damage on the enemies. I always thought that was a pretty cool effect.

Brutal Doom has something like this with its last-stand monsters, like the one-armed pinky.

Glaice said:

This would take a lot of time and effort.

Not to mention commitment as well.

Memfis said:

Why do you want to see the monsters suffer? :(

Yeah, I really don't see the point either.