Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greendingbat

Snapmap puzzles: new map genre?

Did anyone else really enjoy the idea behind the Snapmap puzzles? I had a blast running through all the ones they provide, and was disappointed that there weren't more (in both number and complexity).

This makes me curious about the viability of a new map genre: Snapmap puzzles. Basically maps intended to be "played" in edit mode where you have to identify, diagnose, and fix map logic with a limited selection of functions.

I don't think there's any way to set certain functions as "read-only," so there'd have to be kind of an honor system in place, ie: you're only allowed to edit elements on the green square, but not the red one.

I'm not much good at puzzle design, so I haven't tried this yet, but I thought I'd put the idea out there to see what other people think.

you can enable and disable most sets of logic on the fly. You could probably design a puzzle level around correctly enabling or disabling things, and there are pletny of ways to communicate to the player the goal as well with world text, tranmissions, hud objectives, POI, etc.

I have seen some puzzle maps, mostly around answering questions via interactables but with some ingenuity im sure you can make good puzzle-esque maps.