Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Doom bugs you've encountered unexpectedly

So, I was randomly playing a Going Down map. Give the nature of most maps, its a flurry of movement and shooting.

I had a chaingun and was shooting at an imp. IIRC, the moment the ammo depleted, I picked something too (maybe a box of rockets or bullets), and then it happened. The ammo number changed into a percentage sign, and the weapon kept switching from pistol to chaingun to pistol etc. I couldn't fire the weapon at all. After picking up another weapon item, it stopped and i was back on track.

Really weird and hysterical. My only regret is that I couldn't demo it/ took screenshots. Would like to know the technical explanation behind this. Have any of you guys encountered strange bugs like this one while playing Doom?

While I was working on the Doom: Damnation review, I encountered an intercepts overflow on E3M5. I think I have a demo somewhere, as I was recording my playthroughs to watch them later.

There's one that I REALLY hate, but it only happens on Skulltag and Zandronum.

Sometimes, projectiles and bulletpuffs goes through monsters which idk how to fix. Maybe it has to do something with the BSP tree?

^ How fast are those projectiles? If their speed is higher than the sum of the monster's diameter and the projectile's own diameter, a skip may happen.

Not exactly a bug, but when playing ZDaemon survival maps online (esp. big slaughtermaps like Chillax), I noticed that infighting target rules seem to be bent somewhat.

For example, a Cyberdemon may be coaxed to shoot on a rank of Hell Knights, in order to let them take care of him. The weird thing is that at first they all go against the Cyber, but then, after a while (esp. if they were unable to engage him soon enough), they switch targets to the player while leaving the Cyber alone.

I know there's a 100 tic delay where a pursuer only focuses on one target and can't be swayed (the only exception being the Archvile), but I think it shouldn't apply to monsters simply taking too long to reach their targets and "forgetting" it iff it's another monster, and prioritizing the player.

Unless it's a willful change in ZDaemon/a flag intended to limit infighting abuse, it must be a bug of sorts.

On the Ddom 3 collectors edition port if Doom 2 I blasted myself out the map with a rocket in the spawn room of IOS.

I also found out that saving on the gap in the floor at the red door in E4M1 will stick you in the floor upon loading.

Here are my picks:

• Barrels not exploding no matter how much I shoot or hit them
  • Monster corpses sliding up stairs/slopes upon death
  • Being pushed into a wall by a monster, and then the monster walks away, but I can't escape
  • Getting stuck in the 90 degree corner of a wall and not being able to escape
  • Enemies getting stuck in walls, barrels, etc.
  • (This has only happened to me once) Saving, but it doesn't actually save.
  • Getting stuck in a door because it doesn't detect that I'm still in the doorway
  • When elevators glitch out and I get stuck in-between floors...
Well that's about it

Voros said:

So, I was randomly playing a Going Down map. Give the nature of most maps, its a flurry of movement and shooting.

I had a chaingun and was shooting at an imp. IIRC, the moment the ammo depleted, I picked something too (maybe a box of rockets or bullets), and then it happened. The ammo number changed into a percentage sign, and the weapon kept switching from pistol to chaingun to pistol etc. I couldn't fire the weapon at all. After picking up another weapon item, it stopped and i was back on track.

Really weird and hysterical. My only regret is that I couldn't demo it/ took screenshots. Would like to know the technical explanation behind this. Have any of you guys encountered strange bugs like this one while playing Doom?

Were you running a weapon mod/DeHacked patch? Did you have weapon switch mapped to something like the mouse wheel? Stuck keyboard/item laying on keyboard? That is a strange bug indeed. What port?

I had a recent bug in my port, where after stepping on a line trigger, the lights went out in the room, and all the blood splats were glowing in the dark. Freaky! I think it might be a feature instead of a bug :)

No dehacked patch (at least not anything that changes the gameplay. Only cosmetic). PrBoom+.

I discovered this by accident. On a map that looks like this, where you start very close infront of a blocking pillar barrier(32x32 or something like that), you can sometimes move throu it at map start. I think I found this in prboom+, or Zdoom. I am sorry, but I can not remember which one it was.

I have the map(which is a non-completed mess) where I found the error. If anyone wants the map to test it I can provide a link.
A thought sprung up to create an autoit.exe file script to automate a process of the player moving backwards at start and then restarting the map until I can see the bug appearing.

Dunno how source ports handle it, but saving causes two peculiar bugs in vanilla:
1) Any awakened monster who can't see you will go back to "sleep."
2) Your position gets shifted slightly, leading to catastrophic results on narrow ledges such as the catwalk in The Chasm.

GoatLord said:

2) Your position gets shifted slightly, leading to catastrophic results on narrow ledges such as the catwalk in The Chasm.

That's a well known bug. Thankfully I never encountered it in my play through of Doom 2 on doom2.exe.

NeedHealth, where's the map link? Post it.

NeedHealth said:

I discovered this by accident. On a map that looks like this, where you start very close infront of a blocking pillar barrier(32x32 or something like that), you can sometimes move throu it at map start.

The player's diameter is exactly 32, so it's (theoretically) OK to be able to squeeze through 32-wide gaps. The engine's collision detection makes it much harder than it should be, though. See glide.

At map start, the player's angle is perfectly orthogonal, which makes gliding easy. This can notably be observed on E4M9 of Ultimate Doom if you simply move backwards.

Last year, while playing one of my maps, I found out that if you strafe-run into an impassable line you can reach crazy forward momentum. This trick only worked in PrBoom for some reason, as I couldn't replicate it in ZDoom.

Agentbromsnor said:

Last year, while playing one of my maps, I found out that if you strafe-run into an impassable line you can reach crazy forward momentum. This trick only worked in PrBoom for some reason, as I couldn't replicate it in ZDoom.

You discovered the joys of wallrunning!

scifista42 said:

The player's diameter is exactly 32, so it's (theoretically) OK to be able to squeeze through 32-wide gaps. The engine's collision detection makes it much harder than it should be, though. See glide.

Is that what happened to NeedHealth? Something similar happened to me on one of secret maps of Undeath '94 but I knew what I did. I couldn't achieve it ever again.