Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Legacy of Heroes

February, 2017

> Download Legacy of Heroes
> 2017 Season Standings

Leaderboard & Stream Schedule

1. # Survived [02:17:31] Bloodite Krypto - Another awesome display by Grand Master Krypto, marred only by a spot of light reading in The Great Library.
  2. # Survived [03:38:54] Roofi - Down to 7 health in the opening minute of the game before wresting back control. Ultimately; for good. Well played!
  3. # Survived [05:16:05] Mithran Denizen - Sufficed to say I did not watch much of this; I am nonetheless in envy.
  4. # Map09: Demon of the Well - It's over. The legacy comes to an end. Welcome to the land of the mortals, Demon.
  5. # Map06: Veinen - Ripped apart in the darkness.
  6. # Map05: Memfis - This one's an honest-to-god tragedy (thanks, silent teleporter!). But who will escape The Vortex?
  7. # Map05: 40oz - Not to be outdone by Demonsphere's performance, Tony Hawk improvises for some serious elevation.
  8. # Map05: DemonSphere - That's one small step for man (lol), one giant leap with the aid of an archvile.
  9. # Map05: Beginner - Stepped into The Vortex and was promptly ravaged by fire.
  10. # Map05: WH-Wilou84 - Barry and co. nearly sits him on his ass, but it's The Vortex that pulls him under. So close!
    Spoiler

11. # Map05: Suitepee - Splayed by a banner of knights. Never got to see The Vortex :(
  12. # Map04: Alfonzo - Emptied my brains along with my ammunition. Kersplat.
  13. # Map04: Nevanos - Threw his lot in with Mr. Velvet. Welcome, Nevanos!
  14. # Map04: scotty - The last death of the month is a mirror image of the first. What a story!
  15. # Map04: Dime - Too slow, Dime! Cyberdemon claims a Canadian scalp.
  16. # Map04: SSGmaster - Smacked into his coffin by a revenant. The reports will show that he was weiling the SSG at the time.
  17. # Map04: dobu gabu maru - You make a pact with the devil, you die with the devil. Kersplat.
  18. # Map04: NoisyVelvet - Tried to hug a Pain Elemental and overstepped his boundaries. Some armor wouldn't have gone amiss!
  19. # Map04: Crusader No Regret - Needs to be seen to be believed. EGADs!
  20. # Map03: TheMionicDonut - Pent-up and not able to die... satisfactorily. Sad.
  21. # Map03: Anima Zero - Couldn't hold his nerve versus a fast-approaching archvile. Yes, that archvile.
  22. # Map03: Eris Falling - Even the landscape conspires against him. And look, there's another suit of armor! How about that.
  23. # Map03: DoomLover234 - Lucked his way out of Map02 and into the waiting arms of... Barry? I can't find this vile's birth certificate.
  24. # Map03: bzzrak - Attacks it with gusto - I like that. At least one sergeant took a leaf out of his book.
  25. # Map03: JudgeDeadd - If you go out in the woods today...
  26. # Map02: cannonball - Damn, it's like a really shitty version of Total Wipeout.
  27. # Map02: Ancalagon - A victim of visual effects. That's one eager archvile.
  28. # Map02: DaIcemann76 - Damn, there was little hope getting out of that one. Hell nobles score themselves a banquet.
  29. # Map02: Saint_Guy - Just Weapon Switch Things. Got cornered by the blue key crowd.
  30. # Map02: Voros - Glimpsed a much-needed medikit then backed into a puddle. Of nukage. Yummy!
  31. # Map02: walter confalonieri - Super Metronome conks out (illegal comp settings)
  32. # Map01: rodster - Seasoned by a pissant heavy weapon dude. Tough luck.
  33. # Map01: an_mutt - We don't do participation stickers at DWIronman, but damn: it's takes a brave soul to make this upload.

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given mapset, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome; it could change the way you play Doom!

In February 2017 the DWIronman League dies to Legacy of Heroes -complevel 9 (Boom (strict)). This is a colourful 10-level episode by gaspe that uses Eternal resources and sports a keen sense of adventure, though you'll have little time to stop and smell the roses for all the carnage that ensues (my secret consultants inform me that there are, in fact, 0 roses in Legacy of Heroes. They checked all the Eternal flowerbeds). I'd tell you more, but I went into this one blind and got splattered by a cyberdemon before the halfway mark. I'm sure it's fun, though. Have a good one!
Spoiler

• One attempt per month. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+ and GLBoom), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs.
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No auto-loaded wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on map01 of a set or because of a single level being selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit. The number of kills registered will determine your ranking versus other players who died on that level.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You do not have to complete your run in a single sitting. Such runs are considered to be "hardcore" runs. For stream and video recording users, you need only load a savegame that has been shown to be set during the previous segment, and again displaying the same compatability options. For demo users, you may continue using the same recording using a save file linked in the thread alongside the demo, assuming the -complevel allows for this function (e.g. -cl 9). Otherwise, the run must be completed in a single sitting or in segments separated by forced pistol starts (mandatory death exits) and episodes.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point. This includes "scouting ahead" for map details "just to check on something."
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If you die for any reason, tough luck! Your little brother snuck into your room while you were paused and getting tea and walked your marine into an inescapable pit? Brilliant. You went to answer the doorbell but knocked over your mug of hot chocolate and a baron ripped your arm off? Walk it off, hot stuff! You're through.
  • If your operating system fails during the run with you having progressed beyond the most recent save point then it's a write-off, sorry!
  • Death exits do not disqualify a run (duh!) but accidentally restarting the level before the tally screen appears will. Stay frosty!
  • In the event that the leaders are tied having died on the same map, the player to have arrived at the map of death in the fastest time will be deemed the winner.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

This time, no matter how humiliating my run will be, I'll post it.

Edit: checked out the spreadsheet. So we get points now? This might be more than fun to do now, i guess.

Spoiler

inb4 people get stuck at the progression and puzzles instead of beign killed by the actual combats

Thanks for pick my wad for this month. I will join to see where I will shamefully die :)

Great run, Beginner. You were incredibly unlucky to have had almost no time assessing the setup. Especially after such a long level, an exit would have been rewarding.

Voros said:

checked out the spreadsheet. So we get points now? This might be more than fun to do now, i guess.

The points look to be all over the shop but don't worry, it's really quite simple: you get a fraction of 100,000 (the max.) that's dependent on your ranking and the number of participants for that month, and then there's some basic rounding stuff. A last placed player out of 50 participants would net 2,000 points. Out of 2 it'd be 50,000. Lemon squeezy.

And just a note to all: if you're not keen on being monitored for season standings then I'll happily take your name down and just let the monthly table do the talking. There's likely a couple of folks who aren't keen on the brand of comp we're trying out, and that's understandable.

Several monsters away from finishing MAP03, an archvile and a 80 damage rocket set the stage. Cockblock tree was the final nail in the coffin.

This was immediately after pulling off a 2 health escape from a previous fight :(

Pretty much summed up my thoughts when I first saw that room too, haha. Like wow, this key totally isn't a trap or anything.
A lot of early deaths are to be expected in this wad I think.

Oh wow totally never heard or seen this one :o The only Eternal Doom themed wads I'm familiar with are Baker's Dozen, Eternal Memories and Mayhem 2014. This gonna be good :D

I'll be streaming my run as usual. Join me later today at 9PM GMT!!!

Actually, I'm a huge idiot and forgot that I already had plans tonight. I'll see you next week instead!

my attempt

Spoiler

Map05

Spoiler

What a brilliant idea using a "same angle" teleporter there. :P I got teleported to a pitch black area, so I thought it's some kind of a cinematic scene using Boom scrollers. Then the floor started to hurt, I was hoping that maybe it's a damaging exit sector, but I guess not. And I thought it was the creepy face that was shooting at me.

I have a bad feeling about my eventual run on this one. Nevertheless, I shall strive to go 2-0 up on my rival an_mutt at some point this month!

Wait, i thought I died by the spectre giving the final blow. Sure the nukage helped though.
I'm just glad i made it to map02 :D

Can I just say that it would be cool for others if the time was also given alongside map#, to all the ironman entries, not just the ones that survived?

What's the correct term for reverse clutch? That's pretty impressive.

No issues with the silly comp settings this time; you're on the board good and proper ;)

Joined the MAP05-vortex-death-crew (A shitty trap with AVs and no cover): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/119474339

Odamex didn't let me play continously, so I had to pistol start each map.
And for some reason, OBS didn't record how I showed the compability setting in the parameter bar.

This is one rule-bent run, I apologize.

Six of the twelve deaths so far have come at the fiery hands of archviles, including all three Map03 deaths. That number would be seven of thirteen if you count joe's submission as well, although because it constitutes multiple runs from pistol starting I really can't pin it on the board. Shame; the great escape from Mr. Burns is quite something.

Alfonzo said:

I can't find this vile's birth certificate.

He accidentally set fire to it when he was a kid.

Survived in 2:17:31

Oh man what a dark and foreboding odyssey through this spectacular ancient dimension. It starts out simple enough although quickly introduces it's affection for devious monster placement and unexpected traps which only increase in danger level by level.

The dreaded vortex is a dickish trap for two prime reasons, if you enter from the wrong side you'll be blindsided to the immediate danger and secondly you've got a few precious seconds to assess the situation and react given the absence of cover and the lethal setup. A similar encounter is seen at the end of MAP06 surrounded in darkness with little cover, however in this case it's a sudden difficulty spike and a real shock coming out of nowhere.

The two preceding levels before the finale stretch in duration, which wained on my endurance incrementally with their unorthodox and puzzling layouts, yet the gameplay throughout the whole journey is charming with it's diverse encounters calling for switching up strategy with little tedium seen. Although their are pretty nasty traps post MAP05 which can catch you off guard immediately which serve to keep you alert.

This was a great Eternal Doom themed mapset without the rubix cube puzzles, aside from Map09 :^) You should be proud of your accomplishment gaspe :)

Woah, that's outstanding stuff, Bloodite. I take it from reading what you post that there wasn't any preliminary inspection of the maps ahead of the playthrough? A completely blind run producing an exit is really impressive!

Good luck to anyone who tries to best your time. Offering a warning to how things progress after MAP05 is also sportsman-like conduct: I know I'd be taking notes if I weren't already dead ;)