Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Mr Elusive has passed away

I have learned that Mr. Elusive of Oculus passed away this morning.From John:

John Carmack said:

Jan Paul van Waveren passed away today. The best developer I ever worked with, my right hand, and a good friend. It was an honor.

This is a punch to the gut, as JP was one of the few people who worked at id Software that I actually knew. I have no idea of the circumstances, or what arrangements are, or anything else. You may know him for his Omicron Bot, id Software's AI routines, and his papers on DXT5 compression algorithms which are used everywhere.

Gaming would not have been the same without him.

RIP, Mr. E.

What a loss. He looked like 35 on his mobygames profile.

I went to his personal site for more info and found his doom megawad "Doom The Abyss". A small siren and a red light started blaring in my head so I quickly downloaded it to my computer. Sure enough, I made a search for it in the archives but couldn't find a copy.

http://mrelusive.com/oldprojects/abyss/abyss.html

Oh damn, he made the Omicron bots for Quake... I knew I've seen the name somewhere. This is a shame.
R.I.P. Mr Elusive.

Not the best start, MMXVII.

The Omicron bot was the first bot I used for..well any game. The hours I spent with that thing...this loss is way too soon. I've never played Abyss so I look forward to that. Condolences to his family for this tragedy.

My most sincere condolences to his family and friends, I didn't know much about him, the Quake 3 bots are among the most fun to play against.

For a moment I was like "Who?", then I remembered a mention of a Mr. Elusive somewhere in Quake 3.

Either way, rest in peace.

This guy wrote the Quake 3 Arena bot dissertation. It inspired me. He died too young. His legacy on bots will gain a life of its own.