Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: TNT: Revilution

TNTRevilution.jpg

What is the DWmegawad Club?
This is a place where we settle down, have a cup of tea (or drink of your choice) and take a month to play through a megawad on our own, together! Any keen observations, criticisms, or frustrated ranting about it goes here in the discussion. As long as you want to say something about what you've played, feel free to speak your mind.

Can I join?
Sure. The only rule is that you have to play at least some of the levels in our monthly megawad to contribute, but you're generally encouraged to finish the whole thing, even if you've played it before.

What levels am I allowed to post about?
Whatever day of the month it is, is the upper limit for the map you can post on. So if it's the 6th, you may discuss up to MAP06.

Do I have to post an entry every day?
Nope, not at all. This is only for our more enthusiastic members. As long as you play through it with us you’re part of the club.

When do we vote on the next month’s megawad?
Voting begins on the 25th of the current month. Remember to add one “+++” before your vote to make it easier to count. For example:

+++ Ultimate Doom

----------

>>>DOWNLOAD THE BETA (Ver. B3) HERE<<<
(Runs with DOOM2.wad, not TNT.wad)

Tired of TNT yet? No? Well then have I got good news for you! Emerging after nearly 8 years of tumultuous development is one fraction of the fabled TNT 2—TNT: Revilution, a vanilla compatible megawad that’s spiritually connected to the classic you all know and love! How similar will it be? What homages can you spot? Will there be any missing yellow keys? Let’s find out! Special thanks to Whoo for starting it, Kyka for spearheading the project, Eris for carrying the torch, and especially Jaws in Space for being the man space shark to get it done.

Also a reminder that TNT: Revilution is still in beta, so please note any bugs or compatibility issues you may experience.

Author and maplist:

MAP01 - “Uprising” by SFoZ911
MAP02 - “Geothermal” by AD_79
MAP03 - “Access Denied” by Chris Hansen
MAP04 - “Blood Factory” by Steve D
MAP05 - “Graveyard Shift” by Jaws in Space
MAP06 - “Communications Relay” by XenoNemesis, Kyka, dobu gabu maru, Jaws in Space
MAP07 - “No Man’s Station” by cannonball
MAP08 - “Fortress of Bullets” by sincity2100, dobu gabu maru
MAP09 - “Startan Complex” by Whoo, Kyka, Jaws in Space
MAP10 - “Underground Activity” by Gothic, Kyka
MAP11 - “Pourriture” by tourniquet
MAP12 - “Transduction” by StupidBunny, Kyka, Megamur, dobu gabu maru
MAP13 - “Hangman’s Curse” by Jaws in Space
MAP14 - “Abandoned Port” by Steve D
MAP15 - “Nukage Zone” by D_GARG, Steve D

MAP31 - “Anubis” by valkiriforce
MAP32 - “Europa” by Jaws in Space

MAP16 - “Devil’s Den” by dobu gabu maru
MAP17 - “Spider Colony” by purist
MAP18 - “Hell’s Signs” by Eternal
MAP19 - “The Crash Site” by gaspe
MAP20 - “Portal Facility” by Phobus
MAP21 - “Bloody Garden” by Eradrop
MAP22 - “Pharaoh’s Claim” by Olympus, Kyka, dobu gabu maru
MAP23 - “Desolation” by Jaws in Space
MAP24 - “ЯƎᗡЯUM” by valkiriforce
MAP25 - “Malware” by cannonball
MAP26 - “Lithosphere” by Melon, Jaws in Space, Megamur, Kyka
MAP27 - “Superweapon Facility” by Pinchy
MAP28 - “Across the Blood Sea” by Eradrop
MAP29 - “Duality” by Kyka, Jaws in Space

BONUS CONTENT
TNT Convilution (the rejected maps from TNT: Devilution)
Eris Falling's tracks
JDoyle's tracks

Lingyan203's playthrough
----------
OLD THREADS

Edited by dobu gabu maru

With the death of the Demon-Spitter, the army of the damned loses their gateway to our world, and they slowly evaporate around you, writhing with screams of agony. Then, everything is silent, and the hellish red sky and the stench of sulfur fade away almost as if nothing had ever happened at all.

Have you won? Is this another victory for mankind? No, something isn't right, here's a blue glow coming from the inside of the Demon-Spitter's head. You crawl into the now exposed brain and find a mix of technology and organic material fused so that you can't tell where one stops and the other begins. The glow is coming from a nearby computer panel. A look of horror spreads across your face as you realize what has happened: by killing the Demon-Spitter, you have activated some sort of locating device. Now an even bigger fleet of ships full of demons is on its way to Io.

The yearly supply ship from Mars is still weeks away from your position. Looks like you're the only one standing between the demons and Earth. There's no way for you to make a stand at the now completely destroyed UAC base, so you head for a nearby thermal power station that taps into one of Io's many active volcanoes. Since it's several miles' walk, you need to travel light. Looks like you'll only be taking your pistol for protection, but hopefully you'll resupply on weapons before the demons arrive.

Hours later, you find yourself at the walls of the power station. Suddenly you hear rumbling from above, and a great explosion fills the sky as the moon Ganymede explodes into several pieces. Once the dust clears, you see a great skull where the moon used to be. A fleet of hell ships materialize from the skull. Most of the ships head on a course for Earth, but one heads directly for your position. So much for finding weapons before they arrive. It's up to you to make it to the Communications Center before the demons destroy the satellite array so that you can send a message to Earth warning humanity of its impending Doom. Good luck, marine.

While I'm not a big fan of Evilution (or other TNT stuff) and could only make it half-way last month before bailing out, I'm so far optimistic about this project. I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes', but is this meant to be played from Pistol Start for the best experience? Also nice lore Jaws!

Map 01: "Uprising" by SFoZ911

This map is a blast. The best thing it has going for it is it's really fun to play like an idiot. Lots of health and stuff to subsidize that. The design is kind of generic as far as the layout and geometry go, but like most of what I've seen of TNT: Revilution, many of the texture schemes are new to me, so it still feels fresh. The custom sky really helps in that regard too.

Oh yeah, those secret quests. That is good stuff. Tbh the map wouldn't really work for me if it was just an ultra-conventional 'zerk-a-thon, but those quests and the fights contained within really make the level. In an extreme case of what a certain loquacious contributor to the DWMC sometimes talks about, the fights really are their own reward, because the goodies contained within are wholly unnecessary everywhere else. I like that. Sure, the map could have tacked on a fight at the end that made the RL and soulsphere really useful, but meh, that sort of strategic angle would almost certainly feel thin and flimsy given the map's size and difficulty level.

Only real criticisms here are the existence of the chainsaw, which I picked up accidentally and makes switching to the true melee weapon more annoying, and, idk, those marble pillar things.

This was my first run after my casual playthrough and then a quick -nomo afterwards to find the secrets, so I had no idea what I was doing wrt routing, nor even what the secret fights would be. This playthrough ended up making me laugh a lot, so I kept it instead of going for a more fluid run. I don't think I'll do playthroughs for every map. Some maps have like infinity secrets and at least one really frightens me (glances at Dobu). :D

map01 - fda here

awesome map & secret hunting. loved the optional (harder) fights involving the BK. surprise! AV! also really liked the moving/descending platforms/walls modifying the initial arena. just played map32 of CC4 which had the same feature. now im stoked for the rest of the set.

So for everyone that doesn't know, TNT: Revilution has a pretty nutty development cycle. You see all those maps with multiple authors attached to them? They're not collaborations—it's more or less the project leader passing the map from one author to the other in an attempt to improve on it. You see, when this project was first coming together, Kyka was essentially the heart of the big TNT machine, altering a number of graphics, contributing a huge number of levels, and building on top of whatever maps he felt needed more substance (with permission, barring TMD's old map). Then Whoo returned to the project and after getting feedback from Tarns, Xaser, and Alter, performed a massive overhaul on the maplist and effectively axed most of Kyka's contributions from the set. This of course, upset Kyka and friends, who had worked on the project for years up to this point.

After quite a bit of arguing, the two parties amicably agreed to split the project into two parts: TNT 2: Devilution, which the Doominati would procrastinate work on in private, and TNT: Revilution, which Kyka would lead himself. Unfortunately, Kyka vanished from Doomworld two years later, leaving the most active members in the thread—Eris and Jaws—to make some hard decisions on which maps to keep, improve, and ditch. For better or worse, a considerable amount of Kyka's stuff was relegated to TNT: Convilution (which you can download from the Bonus Content list FYI), and whatever was kept still needed some pretty serious work. Thankfully Revilution got a lot of support from some really cool mappers while Jaws and I were applying our spit-shine, but it's nevertheless important to note that the project remains an amalgam of different eras, ideas, and disciplines. Hopefully it lives up to the TNT name!

Oh also, MAP30 is missing because it has an unconventional Icon of Sin fight that Jaws is saving for the /idgames release.

Spectre01 said:

I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes', but is this meant to be played from Pistol Start for the best experience? Also nice lore Jaws!

IMO it's a lot more fun/challenging this way, so yes.

dobu gabu maru said:

So for everyone that doesn't know, TNT: Revilution has a pretty nutty development cycle. You see all those maps with multiple authors attached to them? They're not collaborations—it's more or less the project leader passing the map from one author to the other in an attempt to improve on it. You see, when this project was first coming together, Kyka was essentially the heart of the big TNT machine, altering a number of graphics, contributing a huge number of levels, and building on top of whatever maps he felt needed more substance (with permission, barring TMD's old map). Then Whoo returned to the project and after getting feedback from Tarns, Xaser, and Alter, performed a massive overhaul on the maplist and effectively axed most of Kyka's contributions from the set. This of course, upset Kyka and friends, who had worked on the project for years up to this point.

After quite a bit of arguing, the two parties amicably agreed to split the project into two parts: TNT 2: Devilution, which the Doominati would procrastinate work on in private, and TNT: Revilution, which Kyka would lead himself. Unfortunately, Kyka vanished from Doomworld two years later, leaving the most active members in the thread—Eris and Jaws—to make some hard decisions on which maps to keep, improve, and ditch. For better or worse, a considerable amount of Kyka's stuff was relegated to TNT: Convilution (which you can download from the Bonus Content list FYI), and whatever was kept still needed some pretty serious work. Thankfully Revilution got a lot of support from some really cool mappers while Jaws and I were applying our spit-shine, but it's nevertheless important to note that the project remains an amalgam of different eras, ideas, and disciplines. Hopefully it lives up to the TNT name!

Oh also, MAP30 is missing because it has an unconventional Icon of Sin fight that Jaws is saving for the /idgames release.

IMO it's a lot more fun/challenging this way, so yes.

Thanks for shedding some light on the development. I haven't followed this story closely and didn't feel like reading dozens of pages.

So there is also this other sequel called Devilution, in closed development?
I remember playing a 4? map demo of whatever version of TNT2 some time ago, which started exactly where "Last Call" ended.

###########################################

edited after some searching, so people reading this don't get confused:

what i was talking about was apparently the map Unsolved Requiem , present in this map list of Devilution, later taken out of it .

Revilution of the other hand (what we're playing here) is in development in this thread , where earlier development threads are also linked in the OP, the history dobu and Jaws are talking about.

############################################

So this map01 goes a bit different in TNT2 Revilution, starting in a pretty standard doom2 techbase.

nice to see the berserk pack right in front, just as in the original tnt. went rip & tear on them. didn't notice the exit sign, as it's a bit in front of the actual exit, and exited, to my surprise.
restart.
there are some nice setups where you can blow up chaingunners with barrels. the best part was the pool with the rocket launcher, managed a flawless victory here, exactly 1 punch needed. it serves well to collect all rockets, as you'll need 4-5 at the soulsphere.
there are 2 green armors, one which serves well for playing the map, the other one on the pedestal should be useful to the continuous player.
i'll go with pistol starts here, if you say the maps are made for it.

So I won't be reviewing Revilution for the club, but I'll try to give a bit of history behind each one of these maps to the best of my ability. There is a lot of information that I will not be able to tell you because I simply don't know. Heck the project was started 4 years before I even joined Doomworld. From August 2009 until February 2014 Revilution & Devilution were one in the same under the leadership of Whoo. Because of differing ideals for the project Kyka was mostly removed from Devilution, he took his maps & a few others with him & started TNT Revilution. Kyka lead the project from February 2014 until August 2015, though he had been missing since May 2015. Due to Kyka's absence & the concern over the quality of the then current maps Eris Falling took over leadership of the project in August 2015, I think we removed about half of the maps from the project at that time, we also made the project open to the public rather than keep it closed like Devilution. By December Eris wasn't really happy with being project leader anymore, so for most of the month & January I was calling the shots until Eris officially dropped out & left me in charge at the very end of January 2016. I was left with a pretty monumental task ahead of me of getting 15 quality maps started & completed.

Map 1 is Uprising by SFoZ911, it was accepted into TNT Revilution by Kyka near the end of July 2014. This map has remained virtually unchanged since it's incorporation into the project, aside from some very minor adjustments to make it vanilla friendly. It's one of the few maps accepted by Kyka that he didn't alter in any way. The original intent for this map was to have the player start in the Icon of Sin room from Last Call, the only difference would be some new textures depicting a destroyed Icon of Sin. Ultimately it was my decision to ax this idea for a number of reasons. First TNT Devilution was already starting like this so the idea was derivative & I wanted to differentiate the projects, second the transition from the marble theme of Last Call to tech base would have been quite jarring & it would have been pretty difficult to make a seamless transition of themes, & lastly we simply didn't have access to a destroyed Icon of Sin graphic. I believe Kyka was supposed to be working on one, but when he disappeared the graphics went with him. At one point I did make an attempt to get new graphics by asking some artists, but the reaction I got was always "um... do you realize how much work that would be?" This map turned out to be absolutely vital to the project, Chris Hansen & Cannonball both took some inspiration from this map when designing there own. After I got their maps I attempted to get a unifying theme running through maps 1 through 7, but it didn't pan out as well as I had hoped.

Ah yes, Revilution, my only true contribution to the Doom community.

To add onto Dobu's history, Kyka, Megamur and myself were the "founders" of Revilution, with Eris and Xaser brought in later. The three of us shared a specific vision of a TNT sequel that ultimately differed from Devilution's direction, we wanted to release our vision regardless of current trends and give the community two very different megawads, rather than two ultimately samey TNT-inspired. Devilution was taking a turn towards smaller action-filled story-less maps, while Kyka, Megamur and I rememberd TNT more for its atmosphere, the feeling of a long journey through Io, and notably, all three of us were big fans of Drake's "love it or hate it" maps (Which at the time of the split, ALL Drake-styled maps were axed from Devilution, a clear show of our divided ideas). Kyka was the tireless mapper and maintainer of the texture packs, I was the one in charge of keeping us on one track and setting the story and theme, as well as getting all the music for the project and testing the levels endlessly, and Megamur was our "vanilla wizard", tester and side-mapper.

Revilution got its name from me, Kyka went back through the Devilution development thread and used my suggestion for TNT2's name back when it was simply "TNT2", which turned out to be rather amusing, as we jokingly called Revilution "TRCP" in reference to PRCP every so often afterwards (I even named the playtesting music wad TRCPMUS iirc). As such, "TNT: Convilution" is my silly little idea for a side-wad with content not fit for the final 32.

Map 12, now named Transduction, is the map that set the new direction for our new project, thanks to Eris Falling's midi custom made for it. It was redesigned to better match the midi, and a plot was quickly formed between us, with E2 of Revilution set to take a dark creepy theme with some rather messed up stuff planned that would make the level itself feel out to kill you, courtesy of our IoS replacement villain (Ultimately never made it in as far as I know). Infact, Eris' work was so good, we requested several more midis, and many of the levels ended up having music custom -made for them. Its no surprise he ended up on the main team :p

We had a sort of mantra that no work submitted would be entirely removed or rejected, admittedly a bit of a middle finger towards Devilution, and came up with Convilution once our maps and music submissions started to overflow, which was intended to package anything that didn't fully fit in the main level flow into a little bonus episode. There was talk of intentionally making maps for it to make it feel like an episode, instead of a collection of "rejects", and I intended it to thematically be a sort of return trip as Doomguy made his way home and cleaned up on the way out. Was going to end with it linking to Plutonia ;)

Unfortunately, our momentum dragged to a halt when all three founders had various life issues pop up and pull our attention away from the project. My excuse is that my testing work and mod management for this got me hired by Re-Logic as QA for a year, and I had absolutely no time for Doom, or any other game for that matter. So Eris was forced to take up the torch "in the meantime", and it eventually ended up in Jaws' hands, where Revilution was reinvented.

I'm glad its out the door in a beta-state after 8 years, but I must admit; its like seeing a child I had to give up for adoption, and seeing how differently it grew in another's hands. I'll be naturally extremely critical of everything when I eventually play it. Anyway, have fun guys, hope my Revilution history wasnt too boring or confusing :)

Wow, Ragnor, thanks a ton for this historical info. Along with everything Jaws, Eris and Dobu have said, this gives me a much more complete picture of Revilution's development. It's amazing that it's taken so incredibly long, and yet, enough people involved never lost hope, and stepped up when needed to move this baby to completion.

Here we go! As per usual, this will be played in a test version of QZDoom with modern FPS aiming and an army of filters and visual mods like Smooth Doom. ITYTD-Pistol Start

A nice introductory map that starts of with a remix of "that one really loud midi" from TNT. Some pistol/punching gameplay at the start with regular gunplay later. I ended up at the exit switch with 1 secret missing and about 1/3 of the map's enemies which lead me to backtrack for the optional stuff. Cool little setpiece fight which I pacifist-trolled for whatever reason until only 2 Hell Knights were left. That's what I get for playing only hard wads lately. The surprise AV as a sort of map boss was neat too. Layout was nice and I liked the rusted and gritty metal textures that contrast with TNT's polished silver aesthetic.

01 - demo. Dunno what to say, just a uniform brown base where you kill some weaklings, press two switches and it's finished. I think last time I played it there was also a fight in the slime that became a pit at some point, so I guess I missed some optional stuff now. Music was slightly loud\obnoxious and I don't see how something so grandiose-sounding fits fighting weak monsters in small areas. I think it would work better in a big map with tall buildings and hordes everywhere. It has that epic feel to it.

Uprising
by SFOZ991

This wad starts with a promising opening in the map of Uprising.

At first glance we have your standard 'tech base' affair, however upon closer inspection we have a map with numerous multifaceted qualities.
The stylistic choice of the map is reminiscent of Quake in many ways, especially as far as the colour pallet is concerned, however its use of hanging and skewered bodies, dead space marines and altered 'UAC' logos anchors it in that 'DooM' feel.

Difficulty is good, I have been playing on 'Ultra-Violent' and found the amount of demons to be satisfying with challenge being introduced via ambushes rather than just being zerg-rushed by monsters, (SPOILERS) The rocket launcher secret had a very satisfying ambush involving two Reverents and Hell Knights, with some demons thrown in to make aiming and manoeuvrability more difficult.

In conclusion, this is a very solid start to the WAD, I would recommend it to any DooM fan but especially fans of Quake, I look forward to seeing if these themes carry on throughout.

Revilution, the first project where people came to me asking for music. And only, apart from that map DOOM_RO is still working on :P

I wanted to make a map for this, and had a MAP14 in progress but it never happened, so apart from my brief tenure as leader, from me it's just the soundtrack, which spans pretty much my whole MIDI career thus far, with MAP12's theme being among my earliest MIDIs, appearing not long after we released the Plutonia MIDI Pack, at the other end of the scale there's MAP18's theme, made just last year.
I have some scrapped works from 2014 also lying around, including a 95% complete theme for MAP30 which I wasn't happy with - leading to another attempt at it and then ultimately Bucket making a track for it instead.
I've also got a completed, but inferior 4-minute version of Hell's Furnace (MAP20), before I gutted like 75% of it. I guess I'll post that when we get to that map.

Ragnor, I guess the number of drakeish maps remains to be seen (haven't played every map) and naturally you've got those reservations, but for the project as a whole, I think you'll still see the project you started. Great synopsis posts from you and Jaws there, cool stuff.
Of course I've played quite a few maps already, the opener being no exception, so let's begin. QZDoom 1.2.1, UV, continuous with saves. Maybe I'll drop the difficulty later..somewhere around MAP16 (glares at dobu for that map).

MAP01: Uprising - SFoZ911
Time: 2:08 | Deaths: 0

Kind of boring opening shot, there's part of the original plan out of the window already - but it occurred to me yesterday that in its current form, you can get straight to the part where you kill things, and with a moderately fast-paced MIDI blaring away from the get go, I think I prefer it like this anyway. Sorry Ragnor! :P

Exited with 57% kills, harder fights are included in this map, but they're only optional and hey, I'm a pussy so I skipped them! Even the main progression of the map is a solid start for this WAD, just the right difficulty for me to play predominantly Tyson without it being too easy.
Awesome music too, though it's actually two MIDIs being remixed here, obviously TNT MAP08/27/30 is one, an older Bucket MIDI is the other, not sure what happened to that, I guess it went to TNT2 but it's entirely possible they aren't using it anymore.

Visually, very brown, but I don't mind too much - we don't really get a good look at the sky here, so that will be saved for next map. Exit area reminds me a bit of a part of BTSX E1M2, so that's always a good thing too.

Great opener
9/10

MAP01 Uprising

Hah, so the level is titled after a Muse song. Nice opener, giving us a berserk at the start much like Evilution did back then. The music here certainly is a combination of a Bucket MIDI (with the riff from Tool's Parabola) with Into The Beast's Belly and I bet there's more music to come. This opener, well, nothing important to rave about. You punch shit as you go along, maybe find the loose weapon or two, and end up getting to the exit probably wondering if you miss something and chances are first-time you will. Layout is good enough. Interesting rocket launcher secret.

hi

So, I asked for this and it's here. Let's go!

PRBoom+, Hurt-me-plenty, controller mapped to keyboard controls

Reason for HMP and basically-keyboard is, I'm playing more 'casually' these days for study. Since I make games now, it's often better for me to think in more middle-of-the-road terms than extremes. So I'll be reporting as an armchair casual, since I did hook this up to the TV for a lovely sesh.

I'm not saving anywhere other than level starts either, so deaths mean replaying. Will let you know when this changes; as it's TNT I'm expecting the levels to get long somewhere down the line.

MAP01 - Uprising
Deaths: 3 (shocking, I know!)

Dat TNT Tyson start and TOOL cover midi tho.

Fresh from Evilution where a cautious approach paid off more often than not, I initially ignored the zerk and played it safe, pistol-sniping enemies from afar. I soon learned: don't do this. The initial section has something of an ammo shortage and is best designed to rush in and punch goons until you get the shotgun. Two of my three deaths were learning this; plus melee with keyboard/controller is not the best idea ever.

I found an early secret though, to lower the green armour/chainsaw plinths. Seemed pointless having armour bonuses in a secret to lower an armour (making them essentially worthless in and of themselves - now, health bonuses I'd have appreciated!) but hey.

Teleport to a lowering platform, and start shotgunning goons. Now we're talking.

Actually, about the lowering platform; this happens a couple of times in the map and as the way to progress feels awkward. I'd have liked switches to do this manually, a more definite-feeling of progress that simply stumbling around and having things lower. Ah well.

Third and final death came from the pinkies in the double-door. I'd a chainsaw, but prefer the zerked fist (more 'instant' taking out pinkies, doesn't stunlock YOU) but with those essentially-keyboard controls it's a nope. Died trying. Made a note to exit the lowering platform with the shotgun shells via one of the sides as it lowers next time; took the right-hand side and earned a chaingun - made short work of the pinkies.

After which, another teleport-and-a-floor-has-automatically-changed section to get to the last gauntlet with chaingunners and such. And exit.

Actually liked this map, despite the floors lowering for me.

What I really liked was seeing a ton of shit outside the regular area that I know I could've fished around for. But I'm no secret-gatherer usually, so that soulsphere (and inevitable ambush) will have to wait until I replay.

-----

Pre-reading this thread before I played and hearing about the tumultuous development of this project made me fear a bit, I've got to say. I'd still play out of morbid curiosity and interest (I love seeing the results of a good disaster, in a way), but expectations lowered a little. This first map is very polished, and pretty damned good. Expectations back to hyped for the rest of this. :D

The title screen art is fantastic. There's no cheesy MST3K-esque ship here! Even better was the following screen which is usually reserved for credits. Very metal.

I think for this I will just pistol start each level and use no saves. The continuous no saves running death count is a fun little game within a game almost but I don't feel like it will help anyone here with it being a beta and all. Lets go!

MAP01: Uprising - SFoZ911
gzDoom - UV – pistol start/no saves

Hot damn! If the rest of the wad is this good, we are in for a real joyride. What a fantastic start! Appreciated the zerk punching start ala TNT's Map01 but once you pick up the shotgun things start ramping up in their own way. Thanks for the barrel placements which provide a little extra flare of violence. Loved the circular design of the base. Lots of up down trickery with portals and lowering floors filled with lower tier baddies to mow down. Very awesome stuff. Enjoyed all of the bits of detail used throughout the entire map. Rocks/caves with lava, dead bodies, lights and such. The color scheme is very pleasing too with browns, splash of greens with grays and lava orange/yellow. Couple that with the sky used and you've got something that looks great. Also... holy hell that sky is awesome. The other side with the fire explosion is nice too.

The music track used, TiN Toker by Bucket, is banging. I couldn't help but notice a part of it was pulled from Tool's Intolerance. (Or is is Parabola? They are very similar riffs.) Not that that's a bad thing. Not at all. I just thought it was noteworthy as I love it when a midi authors mix in riffs or parts of a song from great bands like Hellbound's usage of Pantera. Still waiting to come across some Iron Maiden. Up the irons!

Liked the demon pack behind the double doors between the fenced upper platforms. Provides a nice chance to put that chainsaw to good use and punish players who were too hasty and failed to clear out the sides first. The chaingunner group entrance was decent followed by the multi man ambush from the columns leading to the exit. Good stuff.

The secret before the exit was fun with the green toxic waste being drained and providing a nice little arena set up with the RL and BK. Fun stuff and a good challenge with proper rewards for a continuous play. Backpack and a RL on the first map, can't complain there. I did not expect three Revs and 2 Hk's though! Whoa. Let those rockets fly!!

Oohhh, nice secret find here. AH! An Arch-Vile ambush on Map01?! LOL, awesome. No fucking around here. I had zero cover, barely a decent weapon and your given zero time to react to him. Whew. So much for that secret soulsphere boost of health!

Excellent map.

Love the space themed art used for the intermission screen. Is there anything I don't like? Not yet...

MAP01 - Uprising (HMP difficulty, KB+mouse, continuous play because that's how I roll)

Aesthetically, I quite liked this level, and the berserk pack right at the start made a nice homage to Evilution.

Gameplay-wise, my opinions are more ambivalent. The things that stick in my mind, sadly, are:

• Fighting boneheads with no static cover, no SSG or PG, and poor conditions for the use of the rocket launcher. (I would rather have fought HKs.)
  • The forced-pickup armour bonuses on the way to the switch to lower the green armour in the first area.

I won't join to play the maps as I have already played all the wad, and I saw some maps more than 1 time. However I'll pass here the 19th to write something about my map.

Map 1: Uprising

A homage to TNT Evilution's Map 1, Revilution starts with a Berserk set piece in a fairly tight arena set in a mountain fortress. Once the low-level imps and zombies are liquefied, a shotgun is preferred to explore the rest of the level. After taking out a few more chaingunners and surviving an ambush of pinkies, the way to the exit is not difficult. The blue key is optional, however it rewards the player with a rocket launcher and an immediate chance to use it in the bed of the newly-drained nukage pool against Revenants and Hell Knights. The cramped nature of the map makes this battle especially tricky. Musically, the midi is a remix of a classic TNT tune that puts the player immediately into the mood. It's a little slower than the original and thus looses its "metal" edge. Overall, Map 1 is a solid overture to what is hopefully a high-quality addition to the TNT legacy.

rdwpa said:

Some maps have like infinity secrets and at least one really frightens me (glances at Dobu). :D

Watching you stumble through that map and fail to reach every secret was quite entertaining. This comment also made me realize that three of the maps I worked on have multi-tiered secrets all with the same reward :P

Alright, so I'm going to be playing this on HMP, pistol-starts, saves, and with Choco-Doom to catch any errors that might arise.

MAP01: SFoZ911's opener is about as perfect as you can make a standard opener: berserk-oriented punchy gameplay, an open layout that lets the textures fulfill the detailing role, a bulky amount of foes to fight through, and a pretty nifty blue key secret that lets people know TNT: R is serious when it comes to optional content. Make more maps, SFoz911!

(The only bug I caught is that linedefs 1648 & 1417 are midtexes that extend into the ceiling above due to having the same sector brightness on both sides. Also, IMO, wall that hides the switch that opens the blue key path should have a slightly more obvious tell, as I had to look in DB to discover how to find it since it's basically an unmarked wall that looks the same as all the others)

So here we begin, finally the first sequel to TNT, it has only taken over 20 years to happen :P
So this is a great opener, short, compacts, lots of inter-connectivity as well as some fun gameplay. SFoZ911 isn't shy to throw a couple of nasty traps which are entirely optional including an archvile.
Overall a very good start to a wad which in my opinion will match up to peoples expectations.

Map 02: "Geothermal" by AD_79"

This map took a while to grow on me. Conventionally played it's not really my thing, very straightforward action against mostly low-tiers, much like a typical map01. Played at maximal aggression levels, it's somewhat irritating too, as the first half has a lot of unavoidable hitscan RNG. So it struck me as one of those levels that has the veneer of being designed for fast-paced action but is resistant against the fastest-paced action! It's also a somewhat formulaic map by AD_79's standards: geometrically it resembles many of his ASS speedmaps, or his older style circa Nova II. The optional content paralleled map01's but felt less special.

But trying to max the map in sub-2:45 (the par time) was fun, and I ended up liking it, because it's fun, and that is what matters most. :P

Since I'm taking a break from playing Doom wads for the month of February (and allowing people time to request stuff for me to play....), I'll have to quietly decline taking part in this month's DWMC. I do look forward to playing Revilution at some point though after this month, as I'm curious to see if the Doom community can make a better overall megawad than Evilution as a sequel.

Bug report: I've been playing ahead a bit, and have found that map 05 is broken and uncompletable in -cl 2: after you use the blue switch and walk into the room next to it, the southwest wall which is supposed to lower and grant access to the passage connecting to the similar room across the way fails to activate (it makes a motion sound indefinitely but doesn't actually move), leaving you stuck. Note that it functions as intended in -cl 9, and of course in ZDoom.