Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Rebirth MIDI Pack - COMPLETE.

Would anyone think it amiss if I were to crawl out from the woodwork with a track candidate for the unclaimed MAP01 slot?

Ripsaw (2:08)

Kept it pretty simple in the end, there's only like two ideas in the whole thing, heh.

Great opener track there Jimmy, doesn't live up to Freighthoppers IMO but good enough on its own merits, and the map can be beaten in about 40 seconds anyway so I doubt that matters too much, heh. Some cool guitar effect near the end too!

Oh and really liking Sunfall Valley Viscra!

It's too early since most tracks aren't nearly finished yet, but have you thought about asking Hysimak to make a GENMIDI lump for this pack? After all he made custom GENMIDIs for the Plutonia MIDI Pack and Plutonia 2 already. This time it could be bundled directly!

He actually already offered on the last page.

--
Anyway, I might just have MAP14 ready by the end of today. Been very slow with it which is quite annoying, I have a lot of other music work to do :I

Gez said:

but have you thought about asking Hysimak to make a GENMIDI lump for this pack?

Heh, what a coincidence. Today I PMed Jimmy, asking whether he would accept a GENMIDI contribution to this pack from me.
I really love playing around with OPL instruments, it's pretty nice how programmable they are and how different sounds you can create. Since I'm not a musician and composer and I am not capable of creating my own song or MIDI at all (while sometimes I wish I could), I'd like to contribute at least this way.
There aren't really many projects/pwads with its own GENMIDI (if there's even any at all), so it would be great to have the first one actually featuring one. The only issue I can think of is that I am very extensively utilizing the double-voice feature of GENMIDI, which requires much more available OPL voices to play the music. ZDoom provides emulation of up to 8 OPL chips which is more than enough, but this GENMIDI wouldn't be compatible with Vanilla Doom or source ports not providing emulation of multiple OPL chips. But that won't be probably a problem since ZDoom is quite popular port.

LOL we're now at a stage where we can ask for "limit-removing OPL emulators" :p

In previous MIDI packs there was an optional ZDoom-addon including a script to display each track's title and author at level start, this optional add-on could be where the limit-removing GENMIDI lump ends up.

Man, I wanted to get so much done this week and ending up pouring all the time into this one MIDI D:
But finally here is the track for 14, probably the strangest piece I've ever written - Beneath the Stars gone completely nutty might be a good description :P

Cave Dwellers (04:26)

Eris Falling: Ambitious and bombastic track, while not completely insane certainly goes to a wide assortment of interested places. The chordal changes are numerous, but not jarringly so. Just for the tone this one evokes on its own, I think it's a solid shoo-in. Added to the OP!

Hisymak / Gez: As I just said formally in PM to Hisymak, I'm definitely interested in this proposition. Would give the project a little bit of extra purpose and versatility, which is a plus in my book! I'd definitely be intrigued to listen to the final product under the resultant GENMIDI.

CWolf: With university starting up for me this year, and it being perhaps my most intense yet, I fully expect this project will still be going in some way towards the end of the year. Maybe you'll get a look-in!

stewboy: Lovely bit of jazz to spice up the soundtrack, I love it, as I said on IRC. Far be it from me to pass up a submission from you, so consider it added. :)

Mystified (04:12) [redacted]

Mystified (04:21)

For MAP24, possibly a bit of a sloppy ending, let me know if you want it drawn out a little longer!

Edited by Eris Falling : New version with cleaner ending

I'm gonna drop out fellas, I can't come up with jack shit (that actually sounds good or at least interesting) right now. Sorry for the lameness D:

*brushes off dust*

Hi!

I finally have a finished attempt at MAP29's theme. As it's a relatively long map I figured this was my chance to do one of my long-ass adventures for a MIDI pack. Structurally it's a bit drawn out IMO, so it's probably one of those that plods along in the background, but nevertheless I took it in a few different directions. Not as wacky as Mystified or Cave Dwellers, but far enough from of my usual work that I have no idea what to expect feedback wise. oh god D:

Thanatos (07:07)

Enjoy, hopefully!

That's all the slots I claimed dealt with, so I'll be turning my attention to some other projects for now, but as progress here is quite slow I'm more than willing to do more on this.

--

Late edit:

On 23/11/2016 at 1:39 PM, Eris Falling said:

Next time there's a MIDI pack, I'll definitely try and contribute a wider range of tracks. Still hoping for a 7:00+ opportunity! :P

Win!

Edited by Eris Falling : lol

Hi it's me again!

A Warrior Reborn (03:03)

Something a bit more melody driven; a short, fast-paced power metal piece for MAP21 - a map that's all about pushing forward with the chaingun or going nuts with the rocket launcher. While their target maps are quite different, this here is Rebirth's Battle of Chaos. Hope you all like it!

Rest assured, thread, I'm not dead. I've just been very mentally preoccupied with uni lately, but I have been listening to the submissions, and am certainly impressed by the stuff on show.

Eris Falling: Need I say more about these tracks that I haven't already said on IRC. Stirring stuff, all of it. You're setting the submission bar really high! At a glance I can't tell anything needs to be changed for the better, so to reiterate, all those tracks are now on the OP.

Viscra Maelstrom: Your tracks are pretty nice overall. Chaos Princess's "B section" goes on for too long without really developing much, I feel, but apart from that it's a really solid track, ominous and military. Princess of Compassion is also good, I enjoy the main harp line with its weaving melody, and the track on the whole is just the right length too. I might cut down the size of the long note right at the end though.

I'm going to put these two tracks on the Unassigned pile since I'm not really in a position to find a home for them in this project at the moment. All I can really say is they sound like E3 tracks, but all the E3 slots are full. If you do want me to use them, claim some slots.

@Jimmy hmm. well, looking at the map-slots that are still there, i think that Chaos Princess might fit either The Musty Ones or Death Pit. if you want me to cut down the length of the track, just let me know what part to axe, since i still have the project file for it here.

on a related note, i finished this track just recently. i think it'd make a good fit for Colossus (which is why i named the track Rising Colossus), what do you think? https://www.dropbox.com/s/0epc8eztv5sapq0/Rising Colossus.mid?dl=0

So I made a quick something with the intention of MAP06 but maybe it turned out too classical/'happy', in which case I'll just use it for something else :)

I had great fun writing all the chords in any case so it was worth it either way.

Flight of the Fox (2:06)

Edit: I just took notice of @Viscra Maelstrom's post, looks like you beat me! Interesting how you had a much heavier interpretation of the map. I was thinking more of the player's movements rather than the action.

@Viscra Maelstrom Pretty cool track! I do think it's missing something in the upper register, like a good center-stage lead melody for the first half of it. The change at 2:16 is welcome (although the buildup to it might be a little intense) and the ensuing solo sections are really cool, but once they're done I think you need to wind the track back just a little for another 16 bars or so - it should help the D minor outro of the track lean back into the C minor key it starts out with.

Speaking of upper register, is that a siren going on for most of the track? I feel like it should only be used in a few instances early on, otherwise it gets a bit abrasive. You can potentially build narrative with a device like that, having the siren intensify slowly to suggest that something big and powerful has gotten loose from its containment, then duck out the siren when the danger strikes and you transition the music more heavily into the inevitable battle with the horrible thing that's triggered the sirens. Lot of potential there, I reckon.

Nice work! Only needs a bit of spit-polish, I feel.

@stewboy As I said to you on IRC, very nice track, and great to have another submission from you. It's certainly reminiscent of your Ancient Aliens work which as always is admirable - although whether it fits the frantic pace of the map, or properly echoes the architecture I'm not entirely certain. I'm inclined to go with Viscra's submission for MAP06, just because it's more of a conventional and "heavy" battle theme, but I'll keep your track on hand and hopefully assign it to a slot later on. Thanks a lot! o/

@BobFromReboot This is interesting! Funky, steady, full of cool ideas and riffs that sit quite nicely together. It's not what I was expecting in terms of its break from tonality! The chromatic synth bass intro sets up it I suppose, but then the breakdown at 0:20 catches me totally off-guard. Cyriak-esque. Good use of percussion, it's varied up just slightly at every section, so there's plenty going on throughout the track.

The slightly atonal nature of it does make me feel that it would better fit a later level, although I'm not that concerned with it, and things can always be shuffled around later once more of the slots are filled - if you're okay with it.

Two questions for you:

(1) Do you intend to make it loop seamlessly?

(2) Does the track have a name?

Thanks for the feedback!!

I don't mind if you use it for another slot.

1. What would be the simplest way to do that? I composed this in tux guitar if that means anything to you. I'm sure you mean getting rid of the silence somehow at the end?

2. "Viscera & Gravy"

With looping it, I mean letting the song loop back to more or less where it started. It starts out with synth bass on its own, ideally the song would ebb away gradually at the end, with the instruments ducking out either one at a time, or all at once at some explosive climax, to make room for the bass to go back to playing on its own. You could also repeat the last 8 bars of the song and have everything except the bass fading out? Either way, the song should end kind of where it began so the point of looping is effectively disguised.

Hi again! As I promised here earlier, I'm going to provide my GENMIDI lump for this project to improve the sound of OPL Synth. I was working on it quite lot during the time and decided to release it as a stand-alone project, since it's usable pretty generally. Here is link to ZDoom forums post: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=57466

But to assure you - I still wish to include the GENMIDI into the Rebirth midi pack, and even make some modifications to it if needed (to better fit midis in this pack).

As for now, you can try it out with some midis already created for this midi pack - for example there is pretty notable difference in Jimmy's Ripsaw track, which sounds way better than with the default GENMIDI. Just give me comments or ideas if you think any instrument in a midi in this pack would need some change.