Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Rebirth MIDI Pack - COMPLETE.

Jimmy, If you think it's suitable, I think an existing song of mine (attached) would be suitable for MAP22: Withered Fields.  Unless three tracks by me is too much!

Mars Monolith.mid.zip

Awesome! Yeah, this should fit like a glove. I don't have any gripes with this one as it stands and it seems like a great fit for that map, so thanks for sharing! I love the way it starts out so desolate and disjointed (particularly in terms of the rhythm in the percussion section) and gradually picks up pace into something heavy and powerful. Good stuff!

Edited by Jimmy

Hmm. Gotta weigh this up in my head. The secret level's slot calls for something special, for sure. My first thoughts about this one are that I'm not really feeling it, truth be told. Musically, it's a good call - I think the chilly, whistling tones of Synth Voice and cold crispness of the 808 drumkit are potentially good choices for this slot, but I'm not sure that a straight remix of an existing Doom track would fit here. You've also got shades of Aquatic Ambience in here towards the end. :P If this song had its own ideas going on I'd be all for it, but yeah, currently this has me split.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this theme has probably gotta try and "fit" the cast call sequence, too, being D_EVIL.

Edited by Jimmy

oh yeah, you're right. i completely forgot it's used as the rollcall at the end too. that changes things quite a bit. i'll have to think of something else then, though if i don't come up with anything suitable, i'll drop the slot.

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

There goes my heavy metal Frosty the Snowman idea D:

Foregoing the cast call thing, this would be very fitting, seeing as MAP32 currently uses a reimagining of "Hall of the Mountain King".

i feel like a compromise could be to make a sourceport exclusive version, where the cast call has its own theme, so as to not make the MAP31 track have to do double duty. but i don't know if that's possible to do, and it'd probably be too much effort than it's worth. i caught a nasty cold the previous week, so i haven't been able to get anything done for MAP31. hopefully i can get something done this coming week, if not, i'll leave it to someone else.

Thanks for both these submissions, guys! I'm a little late due to this month having been really hard on me, workload-wise, but I found some time to listen to your stuff.

@Viscra Maelstrom Catchy tune! Nothing wrong with this. In it goes!

@Eris Falling Nice! Very Hexen-y. I don't know quite what you mean though, this is melodious as hell. :D Added!

Edited by Jimmy

@Viscra Maelstrom Nice track! I'll be happy to include this, though I think it could use a stronger opening with more bottom end - maybe including some timpani and some of that saw bass right at the start? Otherwise, this is definitely workable. Melancholic and slightly stormy, even with the largely major tonality to the progression. Definitely captures that "snowy" feel.

@Jimmy

On 10/2/2018 at 6:56 PM, Jimmy said:

My only suggestion is the New Age synth probably doesn't need to be repeating that C and G as much as it does. I would keep it at the start of the track, then fade it out towards the sections with percussion (0:29). Maybe cross-fade that synth and the percussion? Either way I'm happy to include this.

Hi Jimmy. Here's an updated version of Swamp.mid. I have reduced the annoyance of the C-G loops by:

• Lowering its volume
  • Having it not appear in some sections
  • Changing the rhythm so it's not a straight 2 note arpeggio

I hope this is sufficient. Cheers

Sludge 2.mid.zip

@Viscra Maelstrom MUCH stronger opening now, love it a lot, consider this added. Many thanks!

@Jimes Thanks for the updates! "Sludge" is a lot better now, and the new "Intermission" track is rockin'. I've added these.

Alrighty, we've got 5 tracks left until this sucker is done! Three tracks are currently unclaimed, and those are 8, 9 and 17. I'm gonna go ahead and claim 8.

@NaZa You still have some tracks claimed - 13 and 26 - do you have any updates on these?

On Lockdown (4:13)

EDIT: Link updated 8 hours after post was made at 1:47AM AWST.

MAP08's new track. This one was written entirely in Sekaiju, the first of its kind. Program took me a bit of getting used to but I reckon I'm back in the game now! Enjoy the track.

Edited by Jimmy

"i'm back in the game now"

Does that mean more of you will be seen in the phoenix discord? ;) I need to get to learning sekaiju better myself so that I can release actual midis instead of making oggs with doom soundfonts and crappily converting them to midis later.

Speaking of which are there any map slots still available? I might try to make a song for this if so

edit: oh yeah, also that's a really good track @Jimmy as usual

I'll try and be more active there yeah, although the sessions are usually held at kind of a crazy hour (2AM) for me. With any luck I'll be able to pick up some speed in my workflow again to the point where I can churn out something like another "Neverfore" within 2 hours.

Yeah well I have been hoping someone would volunteer to help host a 2nd session at a later time like with ASS but no one has asked yet :(

Sure enough I didn't quite catch a breath these days but there is a start done for both of those - at least 26 should be done by the end of January!

Prowler (4:56)

Possible tune for MAP09. I'm a little unsure on it myself and it took me a couple days to get everything feeling like it worked out. Feedback appreciated!

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Prowler (4:56)

Possible tune for MAP09. I'm a little unsure on it myself and it took me a couple days to get everything feeling like it worked out. Feedback appreciated!

Absolutely amazing and epic. Unusual chord progressions, those harmonies in thirds, and the guitar swelling (how did you do that by the way? I didn't see any volume control change messages occurring). All in 7/8 to boot.

At a stretch, the only thing I could recommend is changing the velocity of the ride cymbal rhythm to accent the downbeats (by quietening the syncopated beats) to make the drums sound slightly more humanised.

mp3 download when?

The volume changes are done with the use of the "Expression" control (CC#11). Avoids modifying the overall channel volume which can be inefficient - embarrassingly I've been doing it this way for like 13 years and only very recently made the switch. Thanks @Alfonzo for throwing that little nugget at me.

Glad you dig! I can take a look at the rides. Drum programming is super nuanced.

I need to get back into writing. What's the latest on this project?

EDIT: Also, I may not have access to my regular software. What's a good editor for MacOS?

Depends, if sekaiju and anvil studio don't have a mac version then uh..... logic pro x I guess? Or fl studio? I know more about full daws than dedicated midi editors (though obviously you can use full daws to make doom midis its just that the experience wont be quite as good since they wont be specifically tailored for that

FL Studio has some annoyances in some of the more meticulous details that a tracker wouldn't have: it doesn't seem to have a list of all the possible CC controllers that MIDI can use, you'd have to know which ones you can use (i still only really know that the Mod switch has a noticeable effect on the sound). it's also pretty annoying to use when it comes to pitch bending - IIRC you have to just know what range you're going to do all your bending in, and then put in that value for the instrument. 2 semitones seems to work out the best for me, but if you're going to do any bending over that you'd have to put in a higher value.

the other, bigger issue is that the software isn't very optimized. writing out MIDI files with a bunch of automation for pitch-bending, volume, tempo changes etc. bloats up the file size dramatically unless you manually edit all the envelopes to use more rugged curves instead of the very smooth curves it usually does. maybe there's a setting to make them more rugged?

it's definitely doable, but that's because i have about 7 years of experience with the software. dedicated MIDI trackers are probably better to get into, but i've never gotten into the likes of Sekaiju very well.