Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Rebirth MIDI Pack - COMPLETE.

@8Bit Shocker Thanks for the contribution!

There's some interesting material in here for sure, although at the moment it's pretty... monotone. The material does develop, but sticks to its guns very rigidly, and stays comfortably in the same melodic/harmonic ballpark all throughout the track. It uses the notes E, F and G an awful lot, almost exclusively (the second section uses G#, and the bass solo employs the tritone interval of E to Bb, but that's more or less it). The bass interlude that happens at 1:14 is just the one note (E) repeated, so I would jump straight into the bass melody that follows that point at 1:22, to keep the track developing in an interesting manner.

Some more melodic and harmonic variation in the riffs themselves definitely wouldn't go amiss, such as doubling some passages on the perfect fifth, and even some major-third harmonies particularly towards the end would really lift this track's melodic content. Harmonically it stays in the heavy metal "safe zone" of E minor phrygian (a fine scale for this kind of thing, obviously :P), but for some extra spice you could throw a key change to something like A minor or B minor in there, for some Prince-style blues progression - or hell, go to something a bit harmonically off-kilter like up a major 2nd to F# minor or down a minor 3rd to C# minor.

...You could also add a solo in there, for giggles. :P Keep the listener on their toes!

I would also just suggest you go over your percussion line and ensure you've got crash cymbals at the start of every section, clean things up a tiny bit in general.

I'm caught up in a lot of university stuff right now hence the slightly late reply. Hope this feedback is useful to you! o/

Sorry, I made another MIDI. I've not been doing much MIDI work lately or composition in general, and whilst struggling with other projects I've been worrying about getting rusty. So I wanted to see if I could quickly whip something up, and I liked the gloomy darkness of MAP19, so here:

Shadows (02:47)

Not necessarily related to this specific project, but I just wanted to let you know I have just found out about these MIDI replacement initiatives of yours and I really love it! I must also thank you for bringing it the Revolution! megawad to my attention: I am currently playing it with your MIDI pack and it is great!

@CWolf Consider it done.

@JohnnyTheWolf Thanks for the kind words. :>

@Eris Falling The fuck is this "sorry" nonsense? You've written another wonderful journey of a piece here. No further criticism or comments needed, imo - this track's been added to the OP.

@Jimmy

Thanks for the feedback,

I'm more kind of a guy who really likes "heavy metal safe zone" and listens to a lot of shit based on E,  F and G like "Symphony of Destruction", but I understand criticism. New version of "Shoot to be violent" is ready. I don't fell strong or like too melodious stuff so I concentrated on building up the track and adding solo. I hope it gives the track more space and variate of melody it was lacking.

At the end I used powerchords ("5 chords", whatever) instead of single notes to keep the track developing. I kept single note beginning to bass solo though. It's kind of a slowdown (I consider useful for this song), then bass starts really soloing when the kick from the drums comes.

(yes, you're right bass solo introduces devilish triton, but also perfect fifth)

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oxd91l7cd9hb3g3/Shoot_to_be_violent_2_The_Rebirth_Map_07_by_8BITShocker.mid

Bazinga.

Download Rebirth MIDI Pack alpha

This alpha contains 20 custom tracks (including the 6 of Vader's that will stay) out of the planned 35, in the following order:

MAP01: Operator -- "Ripsaw" [Jimmy]
MAP02: Outer Base -- "Viscera & Gravy" [BobFromReboot]
MAP03: TRACK BY VADER
MAP05: The Complex -- "A Snake In My Boot" [stewboy]
MAP06: Colossus - "Rising Colossus" [Viscra Maelstrom]
MAP07: Cremation -- "Shoot to be Violent" [8Bit Shocker]
MAP10: TRACK BY VADER
MAP11: Teleport Center -- "Ghosts in the Walls" [stewboy]
MAP12: TRACK BY VADER
MAP14: The Undertown -- "Cave Dwellers" [Eris Falling]
MAP15: TRACK BY VADER
MAP19: House of Pain -- "Shadows" [Eris Falling]
MAP20: The Gateway -- "Sunfall Valley (Open Fire)" [Viscra Maelstrom]
MAP21: River of Flames -- "A Warrior Reborn" [Eris Falling]
MAP23: Dark Arena -- "Freedom is Mine" [Viscra Maelstrom]
MAP24: Hall of Despair -- "Mystified" [Eris Falling]
MAP29: The Abyss -- "Thanatos" [Eris Falling]
MAP30: TRACK BY VADER
MAP32: TRACK BY VADER
D_READ_M: "Ludum Suite Part V" [Eris Falling]

Enjoy!

Edited by Jimmy : Alpha updated to include MAP06's track.

hate to be a bother about this again, but it seems that my map06 is omitted from the alpha release. i posted the more or less finished version on the beginning of this page, but it never got reviewed if it was okay to be in, or if i had to change stuff about it.

really nice alpha so far though! excellent work from everyone involved. :)

Sorry, it must look like I've been ignoring you for ummm over a year, but sometimes I just miss shit and I have no idea how. >_< I should include your track in the alpha. Will get on that when I get up tomorrow morning, bear with me.

Quick minor nitpick if there's an alpha update coming: The old initial version of Mystified appears to be the one used in the alpha, with the shorter ending. My second version is here.

I was planning to write some short stuff myself about the other tracks submitted so far, since there's apparently 7 that aren't mine or Vader's originals, so it shouldn't take too long, heh. I'll probably get around to it soonish.

Yes indeed. I've rather been neglecting this project but I don't intend to let it die. Please feel free to claim a slot (or a few) in the OP.

Hmm, I'll need to see if there's any claimed slots I need to clear out due to user inactivity.

Nope, no deadline. At the moment, anyway

Welcome aboard, by the way!

Hey everyone! Got two more tracks finished specifically for this project in the last few days.

Girders (4:51) - for MAP04: Sewage.

Devil's Hive (4:07) - for MAP27: Wired Hive.

Let's kick this thing back in gear! I am considering cleaning out some of the claimed tracks that have been claimed for the year and a half that this project has been hanging around. (It's entirely on me that it's been in stasis that long.)

Highlighting the following people:

@Winter @ClumsyDoomer @Alfonzo @Jimes @CWolf @Temin_Dump @AD_79

Can I get a status report as soon as possible please? If I don't at least hear from you guys in say a week or so I may end up clearing your slot(s) to make way for any new interest.

Edited by Jimmy

I have some ideas, feel free to steal my slot if I don't end up making any progress before the month ends though.

Absolutely zero chance I'll be in a position to help out in the next week or month or two. Can't say I didn't have any opportunities for all the time that's disappeared, but thems the breaks. Mission abort! Good luck!

Cleared your slots, Alfonzo.

Eris, feel free. Just let me know what slots you want once you've decided.