Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Mek's Box 'o Skies! - v3, look, up in the sky, more SKIES!

Oooh, It's really nice to hear that you've compiled some of your skies! You're a great artist, Mek!

These skies are beautiful Mech; I can't wait to see them pop up in wads all over the place :)

Holy fuck 115 mechadon skies?? Hell yes

Thank you for sharing Mek, those are awesome. I think skies are very important when creating maps, they can help set the atmosphere and can be use to decide the level of natural lighting and the direction it's coming from.

THIS. Definitely one of the best skybox textures I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing these skyboxes. :)

Thanks a lot for the bunch! I see if I can incorporate them into Disjunction!

Edit: Looking through set, definitely satisfied. Very good job!

Voros said:

Q: why are the skies so wide?

Because, in Doom, width 1024 covers full 360° of the sky view, looking uniquely at any distinct direction the player can look into. Width 512 would cover 180° and be tiled twice for full 360°, looking identically if the player looked north and south. Width 256 would cover 90° and be tiled 4 times for full 360°, looking identically if the player looked north and east and south and west. And so on.

Would it work in vanilla? If so, why hadn't id Software done it before, rather than doing 4 seperate images eg Episode 4?

Voros said:

Would it work in vanilla? If so, why hadn't id Software done it before, rather than doing 4 seperate images eg Episode 4?

Vanilla doesn't like reading enormous patches, so the sky ends up covered in tutti-frutti junk pixels if it's imported that way. Splitting a wraparound sky into four 256x128 patches is done to work around that. Modern source ports don't have this problem, so large skies can be imported without that workaround.

E4 doesn't use a wraparound sky, you're thinking of some of Final Doom's skies I think :)

Ooh, these look fantastic. Looks like I'll have to learn how to implement custom skies now, because the vanilla skyboxes are beyond boring after 24 years.

Awesome stuff - thanks Mechadon.

esselfortium said:

Modern source ports don't have this problem, so large skies can be imported without that workaround.

Wait, you can really just use a 4 x regular width patch for the sky in prboom-plus instead of messing around with textures? I never knew that.

Voros said:

I feel like I'm upside down looking at that.

In this case, let me help you:

Honestly this one is not bad, far from it. Maybe someone can make it better by adding an extra sky texture at the top. That would be a nice skybox for a floating arena above the clouds.

Wow, thanks so much for all the kind words guys! It is an honor to see how much you guys like my stuff, and seeing it be used in your projects is the best thanks I can get. I'm glad that my countless hours of pixel mining in GIMP over the years will be put to good use :D

By the way, there are some skies that I didn't include that are part of in-progress projects (ie. Vela Pax). Whenever those projects get released, I'll update this pack with them, possibly along with some recolored variants.

Ragnor said:

That second would totally fit in a TNT wad

That sky, as well as the starry sky with Saturn on it, was actually made to be a recreation of the TNT starry sky. The original TNT skies were going to be used in THT: Threnody, so I ended up making my own version to replace it (and the others).

floatRand said:

Thanks a lot for the bunch! I see if I can incorporate them into Disjunction!

Very nice, I'm glad I could be of some help! Your mapset is looking fantastic by the way, sorry I haven't commented on it earlier.

Voros said:

Essel already answered your question here, so I'll say that if you or anyone else would like to use these in a vanilla mapset, let me know and I'll gladly chop up any sky texture into the needed patches.

Tetzlaff said:

Are your skies also available as 256x256 or 512x512 skybox textures?

Do you mean as a cuboid style skybox? If so, I have no idea how to make something like that. But since these are free to use, if someone can turn them into skybox textures, then that is totally cool with me.

antares031 said:

Honestly this one is not bad, far from it. Maybe someone can make it better by adding an extra sky texture at the top. That would be a nice skybox for a floating arena above the clouds.

I believe the original stock image for that sky was actually flipped like that. I flipped it so it would look more like heavy hanging clouds (the original was a view from a jet liner flying over clouds, I think). Having the horizon shrink at the bottom of the sky made more sense in an average Doom setting. But it would probably work pretty well for a "floating base" style map if the horizon was pushed more towards the middle of the image (kinda like this). If you would like, I could fiddle around with it a bit and attempt to make a variant like that.

Very very nice, Mechadon! Thanks a bunch - these are fantastic!

Totally stoked by those awesome green skies, just what I wanted for a couple projects I have in mind. Thanks, Mek, I think I'm set for life! :)