Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cartel

Evil Returns Megawad (WIP)

Map 11 - This is quite a difficult map overall, not least because of the health situation. There are several Soul Spheres and some MegaArmors but you have to win huge fights to get to them. I would recommend removing at least 1 Soul Sphere, if not 2, and replacing it with either 5 (or 10) Medikits at various points around the map so you can heal up a bit on the go. I do like the map layout though.

Map 12 - The are with the 3 Spider Masterminds isn't that threatening if you just let them infight until there's only one left. The Arch Viles behind the bars can simply be killed before you ever lower the bars (after clearing out the area first) so I'm not sure what purpose they're supposed to serve. The final fight can be quite annoying if the Cyberdemons back you up into the tunnel, as you only have a narrow area to fight them in. There are several MegaSpheres, though again I'd be in favour of turning one of them into some extra health spaced throughout the level.

degree23 said:

Map 11 - This is quite a difficult map overall, not least because of the health situation. There are several Soul Spheres and some MegaArmors but you have to win huge fights to get to them. I would recommend removing at least 1 Soul Sphere, if not 2, and replacing it with either 5 (or 10) Medikits at various points around the map so you can heal up a bit on the go. I do like the map layout though.

Map 12 - The are with the 3 Spider Masterminds isn't that threatening if you just let them infight until there's only one left. The Arch Viles behind the bars can simply be killed before you ever lower the bars (after clearing out the area first) so I'm not sure what purpose they're supposed to serve. The final fight can be quite annoying if the Cyberdemons back you up into the tunnel, as you only have a narrow area to fight them in. There are several MegaSpheres, though again I'd be in favour of turning one of them into some extra health spaced throughout the level.

Sorry for the delayed response. As for map 11, I agree about exchanging some soulspheres for medkits at various points throughout the map. I was trying to stick with the blue theme, but I think it will be okay. And I'll do the same with map 12.

A little update. I fixed a couple errors on map 20 and added some medkits throughout various maps. This will probably be my last update for a while. Currently working on map 17 and three other maps. Still looking for more testers if anyone is interested.

Map 13: Hmm. Seemed ok, though I think the transition into the latter half of the map (Where you're running around part of "The Factory" from Doom IIwasn't so great, and also having to unlock all of those rooms seemed unsatisfactory.

Map 14: I really think this map could do with an area, or some arena battle, after you get the MegaSphere and drop down to what is actually the end of the map. The MegaSphere makes it seem like you're getting ready for a huge fight, when in reality you aren't.

Map 15: The Chaingunner section at the end looked like it would be a pain, but I really liked how you ascend around the sides.

Start of Map 16 looks great visually!

Map 16: Needs at least another MegaArmor or 2 I think. The fights themselves are quite difficult, especially for those probably not fond of slaughterfest-style maps. The Soul Sphere secrets on top of pillars are a MASSIVE pain to get. I'd recommend getting rid of all of them and putting one or two of them on the floor instead.

Map 17: I took no damage this map!

Map 18: Really, really bad, It's virtually impossible to hit the required 9 switches without taking tons of Cyberdemon fire. There are too many lanterns to get hit by splash damage from. A lack of armour makes that even worse. the Arch viles in amongst the rest of the Hell Knights and Revenants are a pain too. Just not an enjoyable map at all.

-------------------

Map 18: Still very terrible. I would advise removing the torches so that movement around the middle area is a lot easier and so that you don't get caught with incidental splash damage so often. Overall it's still a very poor map though.

Map 19: More enjoyable than the previous one, though would be a pain to UV Max with so many far away Imps.

Map 20: I don't think it's necessarily intuitive to find and activate the lift near the start. I've spent a good 5 minutes running around an empty map trying to find the second switch to open the exit. I found the one above where the RL is stored, and I appear to have been to all the places, yet can't find it. In a map like this, where you have a lot of choice on where you can go and in what order, a switch hunt gets very tiresome and tedious because there's no "obvious" place to check, as there is no correct order to run around. Having returned to the first switch I found, I now see that's a switch with 2 halves, which was difficult to see on account of a Cacodemon having been killed up there.

Just a quick update, I haven't been mapping recently due to school and surgery, but since both are now finished, I can finally get back to mapping and get this wad finished.  My goal to get the wad done by the end of the year, shooting for two maps per month.

I just started working on two maps (Maps 23 & 24) so I hope to have those done by the end of April.  Map 17 still needs to be done too, but I'm not sure what direction I'm going with that map just yet.  I already have ideas for maps 21 & 22, but want to get the others done first before moving onto those. 

Updated the current link with a fresh one as I'm still finding mistakes, which is crazy.  I've gone through this wad over 100 times, but I'm still finding small errors.  As of right now, Maps 1-16 are 100% final, I don't plan to do anything else to them unless there's an actual mistake on the map.  However, maps 18-20 are still unofficial.  I've been contemplating about making map 18 a secret map, but I'm not sure just yet.

So yeah, I've giving this thread a bump, still hoping to find more testers to give me some feedback on my WIP.  

TNS guys, I'm still waiting for this wad to get hosted ;) 

Edited by Cartel

The generic title definitely doesn't do the majestic screenshots justice.

New update:

Evil Returns is now being hosted on Zdaemon. Royal, the server admin, was nice enough to host my wad, so for anyone interested, the wad can be found under the name: [Multiserver] Evil Returns Beta.  The server has actually been quite active.  Reached 18 players at one point.  The wad seems to be getting some positive feedback as well. 

Beta 02 is now released which include maps 17-20.  Those maps are now final.  Beta 03 will consist of maps 21-25 which should be released by the end of summer. Will be adding new screens soon.  

This looks very interesting. I'm looking forward to playing it. Will this WAD be Vanilla, Boom, or ZDoom compatible when it's released?

4 hours ago, spiritmaze said:

played through this last night. Loving the grandiose architecture and style + enjoyed the slaughter segments too, so the game play also works for me. 

But what I loved most of all was 'Roots Bloody Roots' on the score sheet screen! YES!

That's awesome man, glad too hear. 

15 hours ago, spiritmaze said:

My pleasure. Only thing I would say is, as someone else mentioned, the wad begins an ascent into extreme difficulty. This might but some people off. But personality I found myself throughly absorbed by your world-building. Absolutely love this wad and I'll recommend it in the cacowards section.

Yeah, I may consider lowering the difficulty at the beginning.  Don't want people to quit so early in the wad.  

Thanks for the Cacowards recommendation, bud. I'm almost finished with maps 23 & 24, currently working on map 25 which will be a hotel theme map.  A lot of people seem to like those kind of maps, hotels, restaurants, cities, etc, real life kind of stuff. I'm a big fan of those as well. 

Played up to map06, so far I havnt found any problems with the maps and the itemization and difficulty seem good.  The maps are actually really nice looking and there are a few hidden gems in this map set that I really enjoy.  Ill provide more feedback later on.

Project being put on hold indefinitely do due post gallbladder surgery complications I'm having.  

11 hours ago, Cartel said:

Project being put on hold indefinitely do due post gallbladder surgery complications I'm having.  

is it cancelled or just post poned? hope things get better for you.

On 5/18/2017 at 0:38 PM, Pure Hellspawn said:

is it cancelled or just post poned? hope things get better for you.

Postponed 

Thanks for the kind words, I hope so too!

Just a little update. 

I updated the wad from beta 2.1 to 2.2 after fixing up a few things.  Recently my wad was hosted on Zandronum and there were some complaints. 

The things that I fixed consist of...

1.  All maps now have a chaingun

2.  The error on map 10 where the monsters are stuck on the teleports has been fixed.

3.  The extra 'player 2' start on map 17 has been taken out.  This was more of a problem on Zdaemon.

4.  Added the BFG early on map 19, deleted some monsters and threw in an invul sphere

5.  Made the plasma gun easy to get early on map 20 and added the BFG at the beginning as well. 

The maplist is still 01-20.  Maps 24 is technically done, but maps 21-23 are not finished yet.  Hoping to be done with those within the next month.  Map 21 is coming together nicely and map 22 will be a hotel themed map.  Very excited with that one.  Enjoy!    

Just a giving this a bump so that whomever the host is on Zandronum can see the new update and replace the old version with the new one.  

On 6/11/2017 at 7:03 PM, Cartel said:

Just a little update. 

I updated the wad from beta 2.1 to 2.2 after fixing up a few things.  Recently my wad was hosted on Zandronum and there were some complaints. 

The things that I fixed consist of...

1.  All maps now have a chaingun

2.  The error on map 10 where the monsters are stuck on the teleports has been fixed.

3.  The extra 'player 2' start on map 17 has been taken out.  This was more of a problem on Zdaemon.

4.  Added the BFG early on map 19, deleted some monsters and threw in an invul sphere

5.  Made the plasma gun easy to get early on map 20 and added the BFG at the beginning as well. 

The maplist is still 01-20.  Maps 24 is technically done, but maps 21-23 are not finished yet.  Hoping to be done with those within the next month.  Map 21 is coming together nicely and map 22 will be a hotel themed map.  Very excited with that one.  Enjoy!    

I bet that level 22 would be like Hotel Hell, level 8 from Shrapnel City (episode 3) from Duke Nukem 3D, like what you'll see in the image below.

Hotel Hell.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170526_034426_zpsqlktj

Nightly rates starting at $66.60

*Flat screen TV's

*Free continental breakfast

*Indoor pool & hot tub

On 6/13/2017 at 7:14 PM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I bet that level 22 would be like Hotel Hell, level 8 from Shrapnel City (episode 3) from Duke Nukem 3D, like what you'll see in the image below.

Hotel Hell.png

Going to be better :)

I was originally planning to release this map with beta 3, but decided to go ahead and release it now.  Map 21 is complete, I tested the map, like I do for all maps, with pistol start using original mode and with CD/LCA.  All good. 

This will be my last update for a while.  Hoping to be done with maps 22-25 in the next couple of months, aka beta 3.  Will be sending the new updated wad to the admin on Zdaemon who's hosting my wad and will contact the person who's hosting my wad on Zandronum with the download link, unless they see this post and do it themselves.  Hopefully with the fixes I made, specifically for CD/LCA players and a new map will keep the players entertained long enough for me to finish up maps 22-25.  I don't want to rush them and do a shitty job, and I'm trying to add new textures.  Don't want to keep using the same textures over and over again.  Maps will start to look repetitive.  

So yea, download link of the new updated version of Evil Returns is in post #1.

Thanks! 

An update.

Haven't been mapping lately due to other things going on.  However, I'm now getting back into it.  Hoping to have maps 22/23 done in a month which will put me at 24 completed maps.  

Beta 4 now out.  5 new maps putting the wad at 26 fully completed maps.  Hope to be finished with the wad itself by the fall.

I highly recommend you play map 22 with Complex Doom with LCA.  The map is fairly boring in vanilla Doom. 

Give it a look and let me know what you think.  It's still a beta so I'm open for suggestions on any changes towards the maps.  Thanks!

Beta 4 download link - http://www.mediafire.com/file/9brk1869fb42985/ER.zip

Also started going through this, but more for bugs than gameplay. If a map got too slaughterish, I went to god mode and just looked for errors. Using GZDoom. Got up to MAP20 so far.

-------
MAP13
-------
GZDoom-specific issue. The center of a monster (radius +1) has to cross the linedef before the monster will teleport. Since the SpiderMastermind's radius is 128 and the distance from the far corner to the center of the teleport linedef is only 96, they will never teleport out of their closets.

-------
MAP16
-------
Deaf Caco (thing 1003), area south of linedef tag 28, never activates. It can't see the Player past the corner where it sits.

-------
MAP17
-------
As soon as you use linedef tag 2 and open the monster alcoves, all the Shells near them rise and 'float' to the floor level of the closets. That puts them over the head of the Player. They can only be reached with an AV jump. Can't believe that was intentional.

The blue teleport flat, FHELL01 - I've always seen it animated before. Was that a choice to not animate, or did you not find the rest of the flats?

-------
MAP19
-------
GZDoom crashes when leaving map. Mapinfo error. Under MAP19, 'next' is set as 'MAP20STRGATE1'. Checked older versions. Error has been there in releases for the last year. No one noticed before?

-------

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel : missed copying MAP13 notes