Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cartel

Evil Returns Megawad (WIP)

4 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Also started going through this, but more for bugs than gameplay. If a map got too slaughterish, I went to god mode and just looked for errors. Using GZDoom. Got up to MAP20 so far.

-------
MAP13
-------
GZDoom-specific issue. The center of a monster (radius +1) has to cross the linedef before the monster will teleport. Since the SpiderMastermind's radius is 128 and the distance from the far corner to the center of the teleport linedef is only 96, they will never teleport out of their closets.

-------
MAP16
-------
Deaf Caco (thing 1003), area south of linedef tag 28, never activates. It can't see the Player past the corner where it sits.

-------
MAP17
-------
As soon as you use linedef tag 2 and open the monster alcoves, all the Shells near them rise and 'float' to the floor level of the closets. That puts them over the head of the Player. They can only be reached with an AV jump. Can't believe that was intentional.

The blue teleport flat, FHELL01 - I've always seen it animated before. Was that a choice to not animate, or did you not find the rest of the flats?

-------
MAP19
-------
GZDoom crashes when leaving map. Mapinfo error. Under MAP19, 'next' is set as 'MAP20STRGATE1'. Checked older versions. Error has been there in releases for the last year. No one noticed before?

-------

Thanks for the feedback.  The map 19 error had to been extremely recent.  Good find.  All errors have been fixed.

2 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I beat level 26.

Regular version:

TBrown0065 version:

I'm going to "remaster" my first ever map I made soon and see if you can beat it.  It's a slaughterfest maze map with about 4500 monsters.  

1 hour ago, Cartel said:

I'm going to "remaster" my first ever map I made soon and see if you can beat it.  It's a slaughterfest maze map with about 4500 monsters.  

I can't wait to try it. Meanwhile, I have a slaughter level that you might be interested in trying out. It has over 29,000 enemies. The level is titled "Eyeball."

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/eyeball

Ok, picking up at Map 21, as my last feedback ended at Map 20, although this is from a pistol start again.

Map 21 - The red key area almost feels like it should be swapped with the blue key area in terms of order. You have a very nice layout with 2 Cyberdemons, a Spider Mastermind and several other monsters, but this is much more exciting than the blue key area. I almost feel like this area should be a "lock in" area, and you don't actually get the key until you kill both Cyberdemons (especially as you get the BFG just before), and that is the key that leads to the final part of the map. The blue key area should have some sort of trap as you have a lot of SSG ammo, but nothing happens when you pick it up.

Map 22 - Unless I missed something, there doesn't seem to be any way of knowing which room you need to look in for the red key. As a result, this map is awful and boring. After picking up the key, I was surprised to be greeted by 2 Cyberdemons on my return to the red door, which I liked. (This map would be a pain to UV Max)

Map 23 - Nice theme here. The Cyberdemon fight by the BFG leaves very little room for manoeuvre. In the red key area, you can just escape the fight, especially as the area is so large, so maybe a timed exit door to this area would be good to force you to deal with the monsters that spawn in.

Map 24 - Other than the fact the exit could be better signposted, this was a thoroughly enjoyable level from start to finish.

Map 25 - The texture you chose for the switch by the lift is REALLY out of place in this map.

Map 26 - The red key area is very vast, but too vast to contain the fights that take place in it to me. It could do with being scaled down in size slightly, or perhaps having a second wave of ambush appear before you get to the exit teleport. At the end, is there really any point in having to walk that far to get the yellow key? That could maybe spawn an ambush on the sides to make the walk back more dangerous, otherwise just have the exit be immediately accessible.

Last bug report. Still using GZDoom.

-------
MAP20
-------
I'm guessing the two sets of columns blocking the exit were originally opened by two switches, linedefs 11 and 12, and at some point you decided to eliminate the switch for linedef tag 12. There are two AVs in closets still released by linedef tag 12. They never teleported in.

The Invulnerability Sphere secret - is that an AV jump? I wasn't quite able to get there from the upper walkway with an SR50 (which I've never been very good at). It may just be me.

-------
MAP21
-------
Seat of chair by Red Key has a huge slime trail. Re-building nodes should fix it.

None of the closeted monsters teleported in. Nothing ever wakes them up. Need a few joined sound sectors.

-------
MAP26
-------
One SpiderMastermind did not teleport in. Sector tag 42 missing.

Dude, this mapset is epic! The maps are beautiful. Architecture is amazing, texture use is outstanding. Some maps feel a little overwhelming for single-player, but I can see where a co-op team would have a lot of fun here. Except probably the hotel map. It's really nicely designed, just not very fun. It's just a normal hotel. Find the key and leave. Maybe three keys. Each one opens a separate 'wing'. Each wing is more hellish and harder. I don't know.

Looking forward to the rest of the maps.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:38 AM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I can't wait to try it. Meanwhile, I have a slaughter level that you might be interested in trying out. It has over 29,000 enemies. The level is titled "Eyeball."

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/eyeball

Been so long since I've just sat down and played a good slaughter map, and with 29,000 monsters, it looks like I'm in for a good challenge.  Will try to record the gameplay, too. 

Really appreciate you guys taking the time to look for mistakes in my wad.  Crazy about the monsters not spawning in for some of the maps.  They did in beta 3.  Not sure what happened.  Went ahead and fixed a lot of things and released beta 4.2.  Gotta figure something out for map 22.  I spent so much time on the design, I completely neglected the gameplay.  I'll probably do the three key suggestion soon.  I also took out all stimpacks, to give the player more of challenge with very limited health.  

Thanks again, guys.

2 hours ago, Cartel said:

Been so long since I've just sat down and played a good slaughter map, and with 29,000 monsters, it looks like I'm in for a good challenge.  Will try to record the gameplay, too. 

I can't wait to see it. You will need to play it with a vanilla style source port (such as GLBoom+) due to performance issues in ZDoom-driven source ports. If you record it with the vanilla style source port, you will need to play it with -complevel 17. Below is the syntax for recording with the source port (enter it into a text file and save it as a .bat). The wad and the .bat file should both be in the PrBoom folder.
glboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -file Eyeball.wad -complevel 17  -record file name -skill 4

Update:

Beta 5 now out if anyone is interested. New map added, putting the wad at 27 completed maps.

Other updates: 

***Map 22 was changed up a good bit, specifically the gameplay. 

***Changed out some of the maps MIDI's

***Added new textures (Maps 27-32 will be the one's where you'll see the new textures)

***Did a little bit of maintenance in a few maps. Just minor stuff, a bit more detailing, decorations, etc. 

So if anyone has some spare time or if they're interested in checking out a new wad, give this one a go. If anything, play maps 22 & 27 and let me your thoughts. You should probably play map 22 from beta 4 first and then play the newer version from beta 5. Tell me if the map is better or not.

Thanks! 

On 11/9/2018 at 10:47 PM, Bryan T said:

This is pretty hardcore.  It reminds me of Hell Revealed.

I did make the last few maps a bit difficult with the exception of map 25. I plan to take it easy on the slaughterfest type gameplay for map 28. Give the player/s a nice simple map before taking on map 29, which will be the final map before the Icon of Sin map (map 30). I don't plan to hold back on 29, it's going to be insane :)

My wad has been compared to Hell Revealed a few times now, which is a big compliment. Thanks for the comment. 

I've played about 30 wads with project brutality, clusterfuck and whatever other mods. I played through this entire wad with Clusterfuck and hooooooooly shit! I had a hell of a time! This wad was super fun! Creative and Beautiful maps (especially that big ass blue one and the cool hotel one). Excellent monster closests! 5 stars to you guys!

On 12/24/2018 at 3:12 PM, Schlingus said:

I've played about 30 wads with project brutality, clusterfuck and whatever other mods. I played through this entire wad with Clusterfuck and hooooooooly shit! I had a hell of a time! This wad was super fun! Creative and Beautiful maps (especially that big ass blue one and the cool hotel one). Excellent monster closests! 5 stars to you guys!

Hey, thanks for the awesome feedback. Much appreciated. 

6 hours ago, Cartel said:

Awesome gameplay!

It has been a while since I have heard from you. I made a level titled "Peanut Butter Cake Massacre" which took me over 6 hours to beat (it has been on YouTube since January 30). It has 17K enemies.

The mapset is too hard. My skill level is not enough to pass through some levels even on the HMP difficulty. It is not desined for mass variety of players, just for most skilled few amongst all doom comunity, unfortunately.

Edited by bsver

Beta 6 now released with a new map, map 28. The other 27 maps may have some slight changes. Some you may notice, some you may not. But mostly minor stuff like textures and decorations. Nothing major. Map 28 continues with the hell-themed feel. It definitely can be a challenging map to some, but as always, with the right strategy, it's very much doable. 

The wad is almost done. Maps 01-28/30/31 are completed. While maps 29 & 32 are still a WIP. 

If you're interested, give the new map a look and let me know what you think. Let me know of any mistakes you may find or any suggestions to the map. Download link on the first post. 

Pretty big update here. I feel confident that nearly all mistakes have been fixed. Finally aligned all the water, blood and lava fall textures. Did some remodeling on a few maps and changed a couple things here and there. Originally, I wasn't planning to release any more maps until the wad was complete. However, map 29 got deleted and had to do a new map from scratch. The new map 29 is a fairly large, indoor & outdoor map. It's a mix of both normal and slaughter gameplay. A bit of an explore type map. You have to find all three keys to exit. The map is a bit challenging at the beginning but settles down on the outside, so don't let the monster count discourage you. 

So if you have maybe 30 minutes, I would really appreciate some players to test map 29. Any type of feedback would be great, both negative and positive. More screenshots of the map on page one. Thanks!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/v756tgpl2sk6zx4/ER_Beta_7.wad/file 

Screenshot_Doom_20230725_213943.png.fcaa524ee50274b6c6e5bea53e6bbe8e.png

Edited by Cartel

As I seem to have last played up to Map 26, I went from Map 27:

Map 27: Unless I missed something, the long section with the HKs and Revenants up on the ledges is very tedious. There seems to be no other option than to either snipe at them from below, or try to push through along the edges. The problem is there are so many Revenants that you can't simply push through the HKs or you'll be bombarded by homing missiles. This wasn't a difficult fight, but was extremely boring having to duck back for cover so often.

Map 28: From a Pistol start I'm not sure how you'd deal with the Cyberdemons at the start. The angle of running up the pillars took me into their line of fire quite often. Though as it's near the start having to restart isn't that bad, so not a big deal overall I don't think.

Map 29: That MIDI had the worst high pitched sound I've ever heard in a Doom map. Ever. I'm not sure if it was specifically the sound settings I had on at the time, but it was almost physically painful to hear. I had to IDDT to find the keys because the map is so big and there is nothing to indicate where they are. I know this was the theme you were going for here, but the sheer size of the map can amplify the amount of time you need to spend looking for something quite a lot. It's such a huge area that the fights themselves are not really that challenging. Something like Arachnatrons around the perimeter spawning in after one of the keys would provide some extra threat due to their continuous fire, and you could maybe have it so that you can only get there after picking up the Blue Key. This would force the player to keep on the move more. The Cacodemon swarm at the end was an impressive sight, and a great end to the map.

Didn't seem to be Maps 30 to 32 in the file.

On 8/4/2023 at 5:11 AM, Degree23 said:

As I seem to have last played up to Map 26, I went from Map 27:

Map 27: Unless I missed something, the long section with the HKs and Revenants up on the ledges is very tedious. There seems to be no other option than to either snipe at them from below, or try to push through along the edges. The problem is there are so many Revenants that you can't simply push through the HKs or you'll be bombarded by homing missiles. This wasn't a difficult fight, but was extremely boring having to duck back for cover so often.

Map 28: From a Pistol start I'm not sure how you'd deal with the Cyberdemons at the start. The angle of running up the pillars took me into their line of fire quite often. Though as it's near the start having to restart isn't that bad, so not a big deal overall I don't think.

Map 29: That MIDI had the worst high pitched sound I've ever heard in a Doom map. Ever. I'm not sure if it was specifically the sound settings I had on at the time, but it was almost physically painful to hear. I had to IDDT to find the keys because the map is so big and there is nothing to indicate where they are. I know this was the theme you were going for here, but the sheer size of the map can amplify the amount of time you need to spend looking for something quite a lot. It's such a huge area that the fights themselves are not really that challenging. Something like Arachnatrons around the perimeter spawning in after one of the keys would provide some extra threat due to their continuous fire, and you could maybe have it so that you can only get there after picking up the Blue Key. This would force the player to keep on the move more. The Cacodemon swarm at the end was an impressive sight, and a great end to the map.

Didn't seem to be Maps 30 to 32 in the file.

Yo dude, thanks for taking the time to test out my maps. I definitely agree about map 29's MIDI. It's from Holy Hell, my favorite wad, so I wanted to add it to at least one map, but I don't think it's a good fit for the theme. I've already changed it. I did give one little hint for the yellow key, but it's possible it wasn't a good of a hint as I thought. But I'll look into doing some changes on the gameplay itself so it doesn't get boring.

I agree about map 27. I'll have to figure something out to make that fight a bit more intense/interesting. Good feedback.

On map 28, there's a chaingunner standing on the right with a path that leads to a plasma gun. Do you use that?

Maps 30-32 are done, but I was planning on releasing them once the wad is completely done. But I am curious on what people think of map 30, my icon of sin map. It is a big challenging.