Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daryn

UAC Dragon Sector

This is a set of 9 maps made by a friend of mine over the past, oh, 3+ years. He's a bit of a perfectionist, but he's finally happy with how they all look and play. So here I am today posting about it and releasing it to the world.

First thing to keep in mind is that this map pack is built for Risen3D v2.2.31 which you can grab over here:

http://risen3d.drdteam.org/

This was just released, and Dragon Sector is one of the first wads to make use of the new features. It was developed alongside R3D for a good while.

After installing Risen3D and all the hi-res packs, simply unzip the Dragonsector file into the Risen3D root folder and run the launcher.

EDIT 2/11/2017: Version 1.01 of the wad has been released with a few map fixes. It's available as a full package as well as a wad only download for those that already downloaded v1.

The full wad package can be downloaded from here:
https://mega.nz/#!bxwXVCyZ!g1O1MqU4eUrnx1_OWCIU_ixgqru2wQzg5NTXEEJ2JOQ

Or from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggx42ebkn9bhv1q/DragonSector_v101.zip?dl=0

The wad only update can be downloaded here:
https://mega.nz/#!P8IVjACa!64d1IAOBejhPKtH4F6nzOXD2WBLoduCIbxoQzU4Zg4M

Or from Dropbox if you prefer:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxyggzenwsxh7ox/DragonSector_v101_Update.zip?dl=0

This is based on DOOM II, so you'll need a copy of the DOOM II wad. No doubt you guys have a few copies of that kicking around on your hard drives already.

Here is the synopsis of Dragon Sector's back-story.

Mars wasn’t the only place the UAC had contrived to setup a base. Unlike on the Mars base, the UAC didn’t restrict itself only to experimentation with teleportation. They are rumored to be attempting experimentation Bio-Enhancement as well.

This other base is on one of Jupiter’s moons.

Ganymede.

The Mars base, they called TEI TANGA. The Ganymede base was named Dragon Sector.

It is believed the UAC gave the base such an ostentatious name because of the broader scope of experimentation they intended to conduct there. Its director, J. Coleman Conroy, was reported to be somewhat of a grandiose personality, so this may also explain the improbability of the base’s name.

And its graphics. There has only been rumor, but it is believed that there are graphics of dragons all over the base. Most notable of these are dragon’s gaping jaws and splayed talons. It is rumored to be somewhat of a disturbing theme.

We are going to use the teleportation device at the defunct Mars base to send you to Ganymede. Your orders are to explore the base, and then attempt to return to the Mars base using the same method. It is believed that the Ganymede base has a teleportation array more elaborate than that on TEI TANGA. Failing that, it will be over five years before a relief vessel can be expected to arrive. It is believed, however, that the base is well stocked with supplies - in the event your stay becomes protracted.

Contact with the base was lost six months ago. We don’t know if something happened to the base, or to its people. Or simply, communications equipment has malfunctioned. The latter seems improbable, as the Dragon Sector base had more extensive equipment than did TEI TANGA, but we are viewing it as a possibility, however remote. All we know is, there have been no replies to any inquiries - either to those sent by us or by the UAC.

Please proceed to the base and report your findings with all haste. Above all, best of luck, and be careful.

It's taken a lot of time, effort and heart to get here. It's a little scary to let it out into the world, but I think some of you guys will enjoy these maps.

I've added a link to Dropbox to the original post. If there's other places that are better suited to host it, I'll put them up. Just let me know.

Played the first map. One of the best, most atmospheric doom experiences I've ever had. Excellent job so far. Reminded me of the first time I played Doom.

Thank you! That was what I was certainly going for!

Hi, everyone. Barefootstallion here - the designer of these maps.

A lot of pains-taking effort went into the making of these maps. And all of that effort was to make a set that would hopefully draw the player in and give them a fun and satisfying Doom experience.

A few people we talked to told us these maps needed to be more difficult, that players wanted maps that were ultra challenging. "But there's already enough maps that give players this," I would counter. "I want these maps to be an experience, not just a challenge."

Some 20-odd new sounds - all of them engineered to provide atmosphere.
11 new music tracks, all to provide the same
And nearly 700 new textures

About five years went into the making of this. We paid attention to every detail . We hoped to bring the Doom-loving community something they could really and truly enjoy. We hoped to be able to plunge the players of our maps into a truly immersing Doom experience. I think we have succeeded!

Your feedback is very important to us, but most of all, we hope that everyone enjoys!

One thing about map 01. In the hall after the first blue door you can gain access to, it's possible to walk over that floor that raises and backtrack locking you out of that next area.

On level two now. Great stuff. These are some not small levels :D

General Rainbow Bacon said:

One thing about map 01. In the hall after the first blue door you can gain access to, it's possible to walk over that floor that raises and backtrack locking you out of that next area.

On level two now. Great stuff. These are some not small levels :D

Hah! Level 2 still makes me uneasy every time I play it. It's pretty creepy, isn't it? :D

And yeah, I designed every map to take at least an hour to play. Not one person who has play-tested them has been able to play through the whole set in one go. They involve right at about 10 to 11 hours of play. Back when we were about halfway through development, and the maps only went to level 5, one of the guys who play-tested them for me said he played all day. So to play the maps right (meaning with no cheating), you can easily spend well more than an hour on each map.

As to level 1, I'll look into that problem over this weekend. Maybe I'll need to move the trigger line a little further down that hallway. I could speed the ascent of the floor up, but right now it's set to crush. Could wind up with a lot of people getting quick-squished if I did that! Heh, either way, I'll upload an update as soon as I get it fixed.

Thanks for pointing it out, Rainbow Bacon!

Yes, map 02 is creepy indeed. The morgue in map 01 is too, the long corridor at the end of 01 is unnerving for some reason as well. I'd definitely like to see more maps from you. I'll keep you posted on my playthrough.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Yes, map 02 is creepy indeed. The morgue in map 01 is too, the long corridor at the end of 01 is unnerving for some reason as well. I'd definitely like to see more maps from you. I'll keep you posted on my playthrough.

Heh, you'd probably be surprised at how many reworks that morgue went through! The only thing that was there from the start, were those 10 'cooler' doors! The rest just kept getting added and reworked as the rest of the map progressed. The same for the lobby of Medical, too.

As to that long tunnel at the end of the level, I originally made that just to be a long tunnel down which you could shoot a rocket to kill a chaingunner at the other end. That too matured as the map's design progressed. :)

If you like map02, just wait till you get to 03. :)

As to making more levels, well, I'd probably need some ideas. I had something in mind when I began designing the Dragon Sector base, but I don't really have inspiration for anything else at the moment. If you wanted to run some ideas by me, maybe we could put our heads together and see what we could come up with.

Either way, I am glad you are liking the maps so far. Please tell your friends about them. I'd like to see what a lot of people think of these maps after giving them some playthrough.

Thanks, Rainbow!

Okay, this is my first time using Risen 3d. Installed all the textures and patches just in case. But for some reason, it's not letting me run the wad, saying that I need to install my monitor correctly. :/

Firedust said:

Okay, this is my first time using Risen 3d. Installed all the textures and patches just in case. But for some reason, it's not letting me run the wad, saying that I need to install my monitor correctly. :/

I just sent an email to Risen3D's developer. This is an error I've never seen before. If anybody can solve this, he'll be the one to do it. Hopefully we have an answer soon!

Firedust said:

I ran into this too. Try running the regular DOOM II wad first. For some reason, that worked for me. You might also want to right click on the Risen3D options and choose Compatibility and put a check box in Disable Display scaling for this program.

I've just uploaded the new v101 version of the wad. This fixes the issues that GRB brought up earlier. It's available as a full package, as well as an update only file for those that already downloaded v1.

Enjoy!

Firedust said:

Yay, it worked! Thank you very much for your help.

Glad I could help out. We hope you enjoy the maps!

Change Log for Version 101 of the Dragon Sector wad:

Map01

1. Fixed an issue where players could get trapped out of 'Security'
  2. Fixed an issue where monsters could 'mount' a line framing in a 'window' - making their movements look weird
  3. Gave the long tunnel at the end of the level a bit of a face-lift
  4. Fixed a texture-alignment issue in the area leading back to the surgery and the morgue
  5. Gave the medical lobby a bit of a face-lift
Map03
  1. Addressed an improper texture-selection issue (a 'light' wall texture was too wide for the area provided)
Anyone finds any other bugs, just let us know!

hawkwind said:

Good to see that Dragon Sector has finally gone public. Good work guys.

Thanks tons, Hawkwind! And thank you for all your help throughout the years it took us to get it ready for this moment!

I don't know. o.o

This issue, so far as I know, has never come up before. In fact, a lot of the links on their site seem to be down - of particular note, the 'Contact' link. So nobody can even contact them to let them know parts of their site is down!

I'm willing to bet though that it is only a temporary server snafu. I'm pretty sure that those involved are probably watching this thread, and will be notified that something is up by these replies. I wouldn't count on it being down too long, then. The guys who run the site have always struck me as the responsive kind, and are pretty nice guys, too.

So hopefully it is back up soon!

OK, I unzipped the latest Risen3D and from its launcher I selected that button that installs pwads, then Drafon Sector was added to the list but I think it didn't extract the music. There is no music ingame.

Also, do I need a Jump button for this wad?

On 3/23/2017 at 7:47 AM, VGA said:

OK, I unzipped the latest Risen3D and from its launcher I selected that button that installs pwads, then Drafon Sector was added to the list but I think it didn't extract the music. There is no music ingame.

Also, do I need a Jump button for this wad?

Daryn - what do you think you can do to help with this?

But you don't need to jump to play the wad, VGA.  In fact, I tried to design the levels to prevent it. :)