Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whizzy the Elephant

Looking for decorates to add as extras or files.

Hello all.

I've been playing around the doom editor for many years. I am now making my own map, but I want more decorate items to play with, especially concerning *things such as lush green trees and furniture.

I have been looking around for decorate items that I can add directly to zdl, doom builder 2 with gzdoom and I can't find anything that doesn't replace the existing things or requires some weird modifying (eg beyond reality 2 and doom 2 *I can get both decorates to add each other).

Does anybody know of any files I can use to add to my zdl or decorate so I can have fun placing them in my map without some exhausting decorate script learning that would require several headache tablets to begin to compute?

Thanks all for any help you can give.

Whizzy the Elephant said:

Does anybody know of any files I can use to add to my zdl or decorate so I can have fun placing them in my map without some exhausting decorate script learning that would require several headache tablets to begin to compute?

I'm sorry but you can't use stuff without first learning how to use it.

Learning at the very least how to give something an editor number is really the minimum you need for that. I advise you to read the introduction to DECORATE on the ZDoom wiki, just the very basic stuff, you don't need to learn how to code or anything. Just enough to recognize how an actor is declared and what are the bits you need to include.

I understand how to use files and implement in doom builder 2 by the use of resources, then adding that file to doom 2 in ZDL.

The problem is a lot of files seem to overwrite the existing doom items rather than add them as a "decorate".

Beyond Reality is an exception. If I add BR as a file I get it as a separate decorate drop down menu in doom builder 2 which I can use to add classic doom and BR items all in one file, including all doom 2 and BR monsters.

The downside is that I need to make my map as a replacement for a map in BR to get it to work, which is something i'm still consider doing, I haven't decided yet.

Is the key to find the files with the items and replace them with a new decorate code to stop it overriding existing items, and will that work in ZDL?

Have you defined them properly in DECORATE?

Every new item needs a unique actor ID, which is listed at the top of their DECORATE text.

For example, if I loaded a prop called "ImpStatue" into my wad, I might give it a nice high ID that I know nothing else uses, like 1700. So the top line of the associated DECORATE file would read:

actor ImpStatue 1700

Then it shouldn't override anything else.