Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadman

Anyone interested?

This is just a thought. I know that we have alot of good mappers out there and that usually they don't get a chance to have their maps become part of some project. Maybe because they're not part of a "team" or maybe they just don't have their own web page to advertise their stuff, probably many other reasons as well. This is what I would like to do if there is enough interest.

1. I would like to start a megawad project using individual
contributions from the Doom community.

2. This will be using all original Doom2 textures and music.

3. Design the map so that it plays with regular Doom2 or Boom.
(Wanna keep it as close to original Doom play as possible)

4. You design the map using your favorite editor and other utilities.

5. Make the map as bug free as possible, no HOM's, slime trails, etc.
Good texture alignments as well.

6. Design it using all the skill levels.

7. Make it for single play, coop play and add some deathmatch starts.

**WHAT I WILL DO

1. Give me information such as who you are,, what editor or any other
utilities you used so when I make the text file for the release
I can give the proper people the credit.

2. When finished with your map send it to me and I'll merge it with
the other maps and make it into a megawad so all the doomers out
there can play your map with others.

If there is enough interest for this then let's do it. Show your stuff on what Doom is all about and that Doom is alive and well. How many maps will this invlove? Well that depends on you. If alot respond we could do all of them including the secret levels. Maybe just ten maps, just playing it by ear. If you want to do this then please respond and give me your thoughts.

Remember, these are your maps! I'm not going to tell you how to design it or what theme to use. Just remember to design it using all the original Doom2 textures. You can also send me an e-mail if you would like....

fisherh5@bellsouth.net

Thanks everyone :)

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

How about single levels designed in 1995-1999 but never released, if you are interested, I have several of them on my hard disk.

Freedom? Isn't everything technically "free"doom when it comes to community mapping?

Anyways, I'm all for it.

I'll fire up a new map tomorrow and start working on it. I've been juggling a few ideas around in my head.

Well, I'm currently working on my Zdoom project, but I can always make a map for it if necessary.

(I've never really made a 'true' unthemed map that captures the real spirit of DooM, as all my maps are themed in some way)

BTW do you want the maps to be doom2.exe compatible, or just Boom compatible without any Boom features (ie. using Boom just to remove the line limits)

You're absolutely right, I said Boom because I just want to have you the community the ability to get as detailed as you like without the original Doom limits and bugs. Also Boom will allow you to at least play these maps with a higher resolution, it will look much better to the eyes. I would like your maps to use all the original types of tags and triggers of Doom2. No Boom triggers and specials please, just make it for some good old Doom play. Thanks so much for the response everyone. Again, remember...

1. These are your maps, not mine, you get all the credit.

2. No new textures or music please.

3. I will not run any error checkers or look for bugs in your maps. You design them, build them with a node builder and a good reject builder. Show the Doom community what you can do.

4. I will just assign them a slot and merge them together.

5. I will make the appropriate text file to give everyone and everything credit for this project.

Thanks again everyone, can't wait to see your maps!

Remember, you can contact me at regular e-mail and also submit your completed maps through the same. Remember to zip up your maps before you send them to me.

If you have maps on your hard drive that you haven't released and want them a part of this project just make sure...

**They are single play, coop play and have deathmatch starts.

**They are designed with all the skill levels utilized

**Just make them as bug free as possible as noted before.

fisherh5@bellsouth.net

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

well, sounds good. I might make a map or two if I can get my other stuff finished

Erik said:

I might make a map or two if I can get my other stuff finished

Sounds like the story of everyone's life :)

Well, I have some cool doom2.exe ideas that I can no longer use (as I now have ZDoom methods to carry those out) and I can get around the lack of an alphabet texture (I'll just put words on the floor with dark/bright sectors) to be able to implement them, so I'll give it a go.

When do you want the maps to be finished by, and what themes are you looking for in particular?

Why not make new music??

Making MIDI's isn't that difficult. Of course you might not be up for it yourself, but some other might be.

Okay a few quick notes...

1. This is for Doom2

2. No new midi's, it's tempting but I would like to keep this as simple as possible with nothing to slow us up. Just make the map the best you can. We don't have to wait for new texture sets, don't have to wait for new music and the such. I have learned over my Dooming years that those things can slow it up and the project tends to drag on for months or even years. I would like to get this out in a reasonable amount of time.

3. I want to use the original Doom2 textures and skies as well. No one has to download anything, you should already have everything you need to make a great map.

4. Someone asked about size, and my recommendation is to keep it under 1 meg unzipped. This gives you the freedom to make the map the way you want it. Most Doom2 maps are usually well under a meg anyway but I have seen many maps that are huge! Remember, we are going to make this a megawad so we don't want to make this too big because people will be d/l this thing and not everyone has a fast connection.

5. We can do this in stages if you like or we can wait for a full 32 maps, up to you. We can get ten maps, merge them and release and do some more and keep adding till we get the full 32 maps. What do you think? We did the last method with "Eternal Doom" and it was actually very successful. Once we get all 32 maps then I can merge them all together and we can release the full megawad. Thoughts?

6. If you want a name then throw around some ideas and let's agree on a name for the project.

7. If you have a theme for your map then use it and stay with it. If you like tech type of maps then by all means, gothic or any other type of theme, you choose it. These are your maps not mine. If you do choose a theme then stick with it please.

8. This project is just a gathering of great mappers out there to showcase their stuff to everyone with individual maps in a megawad.

Thanks everyone!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I want to use the original Doom2 textures and skies as well

I just think skies is a very simple way to achieve a higher level of aesthetics and atmosphere. Copying those from DOOM would do.

For all of you that have shown an interest in this project please drop me an e-mail and let me know what you would like to contribute. Just one map, maybe two, maybe an old map left on your hard drive you could spruce up. I would just like to get an idea on where it's going. Thanks everyone!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Freedom? Isn't everything technically "free"doom when it comes to community mapping?

Freedoom?

Anyway, Cadman...I'd love to help out, but I've got 4 Freedoom maps to finish first, plus a project of my own I'm working on...maybe if I have time I can fix something up, but it looks doubtful.

Thanks Archvile, I appreciate the note. I've been busy working on TeamTNT's latest project, so I've been busy as well. I just wanted to give other mappers out there a chance to show their stuff along with others. I figured if I kept everything simple such as just the original textures, no new music and the such we could get something going. The possibility is still there and I'm a very patient guy. If you know of anyone that would like to contribute please ask them to contact me, I'm sure you know more people than I do. Again, thanks!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Cadman said:

For all of you that have shown an interest in this project please drop me an e-mail and let me know what you would like to contribute.

Will do, btw what's your address? (although I could probably work it out)

Ultimate DooMer said:

Will do, btw what's your address? (although I could probably work it out)

* myk points at the Email link at the foot of each post.

Ultimate DooMer said:

...but it doesn't tell you the address. (I'm sure it used to, though)

Right, to protect the user's email from spam or abuse. But it allows you to email any user, which gets your addy and can reply directly at you.