Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

Lost souls in the void can open doors

I was playing Requiem Map17 and noticed a weird door that would sometimes open seemingly randomly. It turned out that one lost soul spawned in the void while I was fighting the PEs and it took a liking to that door. I wonder if this is useful somewhere.

I could be crazy but I thought this had been actively abused in the past. BTW, the phenomenon making him stick there like that is the same as monsters sticking to door tracks while in-bounds.

Can you just place lost souls and other monsters outside of the map and they just walk around in the void? Does it work like that? I dont know why ive never tried it.

Yes, it works. The "void" is functionally indistinguishable to the game sim from the "inside" of a level, since every point on the whole map corresponds to some subsector (I wonder why no one has ever made a tool to actually visualize this). That actually turns out to be the big sticking point to utilizing the void glide trick - out in the void you are still walking over seemingly-random subsectors, and if you get fenced in by higher subsectors, then oh well.

Heh, I did try to open a door in Doom2 map17 back in 30uv times. The secret door in the the arch-vile room by killing pain elemental near the wall. Thus sending a lost soul into the void and open the door for me, and arch-vile jump to the higher platform, skipping the yellow key. Problem is that the lost soul doesn't seem to have enough space in there.