Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Release Clean Up

Other than the candlebra and candle, everything looks good. The burning barrel needs some work on the offset as its twitchy.

Submit them!

luckypunk said:

1. The last time I tried that, chungy had to do a lot of cleaning up after me.

If you're talking about the one squash I did, that was nowhere near as bad as the stuff I get from Voros :p

By the way, do you (plural) plan to discard any maps, either because they cannot be vanillified or they are obvious clones / homages (MAP 18 and MAP26, for example) of Doom levels, in the short term? If so, I would like which ones in order to skip them in the playtesting. I wouldn't like to invest some time to test a complex map, MAP15 comes to mind, just to find this given map will be replaced anyway.

Excellent. MAP12 and MAP28 suddenly crash, due to exhausted memory, Gameception, which can handle (as reference) finely the splitted levels of Deus Vult—MAP01–04—but not the entire thing—MAP05—.

Ok, I will download from freedoom.soulshere.org and test these future vanilla maps as they are simplified.

Backing to glitches: Gameception, MAP09. There is no HOM, but a step because of mismatching height levels of slime sectors.

Spoiler

PrBoom 2.5.0 (OpenGL render, GL_NEAREST filtering and GL_RGBA8 format for textures), MAP06. There are two additional glitches, on starting / ending pads. In order to make them more visible, I have applied the IDBEHOLDL code (as usual for my screenshots) and toggle on / off the automap.
Spoiler

As reference, these starting / ending pads from MAP13 are rendered finely.
Spoiler

Edited to add something new: MAP14, detected one HOM.
Spoiler

luckypunk said:

2. I couldn't live with myself, if I'd submit those torches.

I'm such a spineless team-player. Pull requested.

I dare say, HOMs that appear in GL aren't too important a concern; many WADs using shadowcasting/deepwater/invisible platforms (and related effects) will invariably cause them because they're effects designed to take advantage of the way software mode renders. Can we get a consensus on this?

There's no faulting your enthusiasm though, thanks for that. :)

A good GL renderer takes care of these things and it's hard to make GZDoom glitch on the common render hacks. It even manages to get the bridge in BTSX I's MAP01 done properly. The port this seems to be about, though, appears to be one of those that never implemented any handling for render hacks.

If you really want to test, get Timmie's ZDoomGL which will also mercilessly glitch on every single software renderer exploit.
In the end it depends on what the project wants to aim at. I believe its mission statement should warrant a 'no renderer exploits' stance (which of course should not translate into 'mutilate the maps for a clearly broken port')

The Freedoom README says:

Do not use tricks that exploit Doom's software renderer; some engines, especially those that use hardware accelerated rendering, may not render it properly. Examples of tricks to avoid include those used to simulate 3D bridges and “deep water” effects.

No, I don't think we ought to go out of our way to "repair" levels for clearly broken ports like Gameception.

Plus also, I swear that MAP14 (one of my maps) one isn't a HOM on a proper port. I know some Nex Credo levels had slimetrails (usually because of a habit I've got in drawing sectors with right-angles, then rotating them) but that particular area shouldn't HOM like that.

MAP09 is fixed (extracted the original from the latest auto-build, freedoom-0.11-41-g270d0f5.zip), that step of the slime is gone. Just changed the height of sector #163 from -280 to 288. If this is eligible, could someone submit this?

http://litriviniv.esy.es/fixes/map09_rebuilt.wad (SHA-1: d4af4ab69863b88afdb92b418befde24cee95778): the editor used is Yadex. Nodes were rebuilt by ZenNode.

Before:
Spoiler

After:
Spoiler

Worth noting there is a misalignment in the starting room. The small counter with the SSG is the one with the misalignment. Why not fix that up too and submit it to the repo?

Voros said:

The small counter with the SSG is the one with the misalignment. Why not fix that up too and submit it to the repo?

Makes sense. I will post later another WAD without that awful misalignment.

And, if possible, I would like that someone could submit those two textures without that bright orange pixel. Only the offending pixel has been modified.

/vb/showthread.php?postid=1720376

Litrivin said:

And, if possible, I would like that someone could submit those two textures without that bright orange pixel.

done

Hm, that's weird. I just tested the same map on the same sourceport (C1M6 on Glboom 2.5.0) and the water effect rendered fine for me.
Maybe there's something weird with the settings. Does this still happen with a fresh cfg file?

Edit: Given we're supposed to be getting rid of vanilla rendering hacks, and its not contributing much to the map, the effect should probably go. I'm just curious why it looks so messed up for Litrivin.

about the e1m6 for me its clearly a bug, i dont tried any deep water effect there before, maybe it was acidental and i not noticed before.

I must ask this, but is it really necessary to add the website URL on the titlepic? The credits screen already has the website URL. Personally, it breaks the immersion for me. Why add the website URL when it's most likely where you got it from anyway?

Wouldn't it be a better idea to add some kind of copyright like:

The Freedoom Project © 2001-2017
I say remove it from the build process, the URL is already in the credits screen.