Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

Hey, is it alright if I claim Map07? Making a western themed map with stock /cc4 assets seems fun.

2 hours ago, Lo_Mein said:

Hey, is it alright if I claim Map07? Making a western themed map with stock /cc4 assets seems fun.

No, it's taken by 40oz, would you like MAP10?

6 hours ago, joe-ilya said:

No, it's taken by 40oz, would you like MAP10?

Oh, haha. I can't believe I didn't notice it was taken. I guess I looked at "untitled" and made that connection in my mind. Sorry. And yes, I would like map slot 10. Also, what should I do in terms of difficulty?

TBH, I actually edited the OP after you told me you'd claim MAP07 because I forgot :P.

You can make your map moderately hard.

Hey, all! I've been working on map10 slowly, mostly due to work and school, but surely. Anyhow, I call it "Bad Religion," it's in the second episode of this set, here are some early screenies (no monsters because I launched the map without them in GZDB).

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20170325_155333.png.8b3843adcabd56a1c0da850c552af218.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170325_155346.png.a851b4cf9c69979bbdac491c7cd9a8eb.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170325_155356.png.38d16155882be3f20754c70546595be9.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170325_155410.png.e42d978eedfe1aecd5f4e8bdf8574fde.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170325_155423.png.584935e9cba955b454242386fc0e74dd.png

4 hours ago, joe-ilya said:

Looks too flat, but I like where it's going.

Well, I don't have the entire layout set up, and considering it is kind of a city map, it does look kind of flat.

So it's pretty much done, I guess.

MAP08: SuXe

(I have no idea what that means, be creative. "Superbly Xenophobic" maybe? Demon killing is a form of xenophobia after all.)

http://doomshack.org/uploads/SuXe_010417.zip

80 KB

It has enough health and monsters, a super-awesome exit that took me 2 hours to finish (TRY IT), badass sliding doors, prisoners that give you the blue key in exchange for freedom -- basically it's a masterpiece, you are morally obliged to absolutely love it.

Coop starts are present, DM ones are not, yet. Throwing some DM-only weapons around is the next on the list.

(The one gargoyle switch out in the open is not to be pressed, it's for testing only. I'll remove it later...)

How do you like it?

Known bugs, even such masterpieces have them:

1. the exit sequence is a bit buggy, but it's cosmetic only and even that lasts for a second or so, IMO it's worth it.

2. if you don't get a specific secret before pressing a specific switch, it stops being a secret, preventing you from reaching 100% -- this is INTENDED.

edit: music is still RotT's "Havana Smooth".

Edited by bzzrak : music

On 4/1/2017 at 5:18 PM, bzzrak said:

So it's pretty much done, I guess.

MAP08: SuXe

(I have no idea what that means, be creative. "Superbly Xenophobic" maybe? Demon killing is a form of xenophobia after all.)

http://doomshack.org/uploads/SuXe_010417.zip

80 KB

It has enough health and monsters, a super-awesome exit that took me 2 hours to finish (TRY IT), badass sliding doors, prisoners that give you the blue key in exchange for freedom -- basically it's a masterpiece, you are morally obliged to absolutely love it.

Coop starts are present, DM ones are not, yet. Throwing some DM-only weapons around is the next on the list.

(The one gargoyle switch out in the open is not to be pressed, it's for testing only. I'll remove it later...)

How do you like it?

Known bugs, even such masterpieces have them:

1. the exit sequence is a bit buggy, but it's cosmetic only and even that lasts for a second or so, IMO it's worth it.

2. if you don't get a specific secret before pressing a specific switch, it stops being a secret, preventing you from reaching 100% -- this is INTENDED.

edit: music is still RotT's "Havana Smooth".

Played it. Here are some thoughts. First of all there was a whole lot of "Where the fuck do I go?" going on. Like, were there arrows on the floor that I missed? The ending sequence was pretty cool, I have no clue how you made that house appear. Another thing that needs addressed is the difficulty. This level was very difficult for a map08 I couldn't even beat it without resorting to cheating like the piece of shit I am. This is coming from someone who beat TNT Evilution while only saving between levels. Also, the architecture is a bit simple. (That's more of a nitpick, you can disregard it). Overall, it was a map with some really sweet ideas, but you might have to dumb it down for some of us.... er.... simpler folk. I'd love you to try my map once I get a prototype version and tell me how much you hate it.

I'm glad you played it! :]

I was waiting for at least one review before I finish it.

Another thing that needs addressed is the difficulty.

Ha, only 45 monsters! :]

I'll definitely make at least HMP/HNTR easier.

arrows on the floor

That's exactly what I'll do. I tend to do such things sometimes. :]

really sweet ideas

Ha, thanks!

the architecture is a bit simple.

Will see what I can do. It indeed could use more DEETAIL.

I have no clue how you made that house appear.

Neither do I, TBH. I enjoyed making it work, though.

I'd love you to try my map

Me too, those screenshots look 100x more badass than anything I've ever made.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

@joe-ilya did you give up on this?

Yo yo! Here's a (close to) finished version of my map. Be sure to run it with the cc4 textures. The only thing left now is to add in the death exit.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vmm742n1bcabmk4/badreligion.wad

Here are some screenies, homies (monsters are turned off for the screenshots).

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20170415_114906.png.202662693bba97fe991433f7ddc23b20.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170415_114850.png.626947c75975ae02252986f3a28b0203.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170415_114932.png.c769ce16b5947cb1eef88c29176340d0.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170415_115005.png.be5a9676d6fb96a06dac86854378c9f0.png

Edit: Also forgot music. I'll include it in the next version.

Edited by Lo_Mein

already fixing some texture misalignment but I'm probably not going to be able to catch everything on my own. Feel free to mention any texture errors or general gripes.

@Lo_Mein

Played your map on HMP, took me 15-ish minutes, 99% kills.

Badass map. All the structures were awesome. Some were quite bland though. Like, the one before the crates and with a metal skull door in it -- that room is literally empty. Or the crate area itself, it was quite bland to me.

The sky is a HOM (played in Doom Retro), that's not good.

The combat was fun. I didn't die, but I was very close to it in one fight, I think it was with Revenants. Health was sufficient, especially with that Soulsphere.

I liked that switch in the very beginning, very intuitive.

Also, what's that small green pyramid-like thing?

Overall, nice little map, 8/10.

------------------------------------------------------------

edit:

How should I balance my map for Co-op/DM? What I did is: I threw a bunch of weapons, ammo and health in the main courtyard, and added some monsters for Co-op. Is that OK?

I can't do any actual testing, unfortunately.

Edited by bzzrak

8 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

@Lo_Mein

Played your map on HMP, took me 15-ish minutes, 99% kills.

Badass map. All the structures were awesome. Some were quite bland though. Like, the one before the crates and with a metal skull door in it -- that room is literally empty. Or the crate area itself, it was quite bland to me.

The sky is a HOM (played in Doom Retro), that's not good.

The combat was fun. I didn't die, but I was very close to it in one fight, I think it was with Revenants. Health was sufficient, especially with that Soulsphere.

I liked that switch in the very beginning, very intuitive.

Also, what's that small green pyramid-like thing?

Overall, nice little map, 8/10.

------------------------------------------------------------

edit:

How should I balance my map for Co-op/DM? What I did is: I threw a bunch of weapons, ammo and health in the main courtyard, and added some monsters for Co-op. Is that OK?

I can't do any actual testing, unfortunately.

There are no difficulty settings, actually, since this is the first playable version. I don't get the HOM effect when I play, is there any way I can remedy this? Try a different source port maybe? It is meant to be Boom compatible after all. Also, that "green pyramid" is supposed to be a tent. I was trying to be abstract. 

Would you say the map flowed well? I wanted it to be as intuitive as possible. There are a lot of different paths you can take, I was attempting to make the map approachable from several different directions.

6 hours ago, Lo_Mein said:

Would you say the map flowed well?

Indeed, yes!

-----------------

1uJTBJq.png

These linedefs don't have a midtexture, hence the HOMs.

This is going a lot sloooower than I was expecting, but I've finally made some progress on my small level. The main layout is finished, now I'll start placing monsters and items.

7BQz6iU.jpg

25 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

This is going a lot sloooower than I was expecting, but I've finally made some progress on my small level. The main layout is finished, now I'll start placing monsters and items.

7BQz6iU.jpg

That looks pretty badass, can't wait to play it.

Indeed.

Quoting Joe himself:

"I'm banned from Doomworld, I've made a new thread here about the CP (I got two new mappers as well), if you could kindly forward this on the DW thread, please do and send the link to the Zdoom thread so that people would approach that thread next time to see a more updated OP."

I'll miss him, sniff.

New thread is here:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=56016

Edited by bzzrak