Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

Recommended Posts

ChaingunnerX said:

I claim Map03.Map name - "Swamp".

Got you on list, but please theme your map in something rural, not natural. (for now I've listed your map untitled)

SArais said:

I'll see about contributing something. It will probably never be finished though. Worse comes to worse, I can always piddle around with others maps if they wish it.

A vice versa can happen too.

Memfis said:

For Map02, are there restrictions on what weapons I am allowed to use? Is it too early for SSG? I assume shotgun, chaingun and berserk are OK?

Yeah, and imps, zombiemen, shotgunners, demons, spectres, lost souls, and a green armor (perhaps in a secret) + ammo.

dew said:

Why? You continue to derail the thread that got you losered. How about you backseat yourself first before crying about slipping standards?

I didn't derail it, I gave feedback and you pushed me back because I wasn't positive and because it's obvious, or some stupid shit.

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

I didn't derail it, I gave feedback and you pushed me back because I wasn't positive and because it's obvious, or some stupid shit.

You only gave feedback in terms of saying you disliked it and that they should get better, with a dismissive, bullying tone. You never even once hinted at how they could get better, what to improve, where to look for inspiration... nope, just "the joe doesn't like, the joe knows better, don't mess with the joe". And sure, expressing whether you like or dislike something isn't forbidden, but if you're just going to be a whiny dick all the time without a shred of constructivity, you're going to get shat on sooner or later.

Also stop saying I did anything to you, neither I nor any other mod or admin has posted in that thread. You don't need to be positive and encouraging, but you're a crass thug and that pisses off even regular users.

Your idea of critical feedback:
Mass genocide is utter garbage. It's stupid and poorly made. I had no fun playing it. You need to do way better, because this shit is pathetic. Until then, don't bother us with projects where others will have to work hard to fix your mess.

My idea of critical feedback:
Mass genocide is an uninspired opener map. The opening gimmick is cute, but heavy-handed and won't work in multiplayer at all. The logistics for it don't justify the effect. The chainsaw is placed poorly, how should the players know it appeared behind their back if they aren't even supposed to notice they are in a copy room? I already checked the space behind me in the starter room, so I missed it and completed the map with pistol only. That led to a mind-numbing grind and me having no fun at all. The saw should be featured prominently, the player needs to trip over it, pretty much. Scythe does this, so you're getting wrong what your inspiration got right. Also the platforming segment in the exit room is nonsensical and amateurish-looking. I don't understand what function it even serves except to delay the player in an awkward manner. Just build up some stairs with a switch or something.

But from now on, I'll only give you feedback your way. And you'd better like it.

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't really describe how to make the map better because the person before me said it for me, but even he still said that it's good, even though he said later : "It's poorly made".

And what kind of constructive feedback could I give a map that's just a bunch of flat surreal corridors and some Realm667 monsters tossed in, besides repeating an echo of someone else right before me?

----

Your feedback :
How is the gimmick at the start not managable in multiplayer besides the immersion you get at single player? I'll just put the multiplayer starts at the second room to fix that.
The chainsaw is a non-secret secret, if you don't like pistol gameplay, sorry, but that was the point of the map, maybe less monsters in the map as well as in MAP13? Is that a good alterenative?
I'll take care of the platforming exit section.

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

And what kind of constructive feedback could I give a map that's just a bunch of flat surreal corridors and some Realm667 monsters tossed in, besides repeating an echo of someone else right before me?


"I agree with the poster above me, the map appears to be a series of flat corridors which look uninteresting and are not conductive to multifaceted gameplay. Additionally the Realm667 assets appear to be thrown in rather haphazardly. If you're going to use new assets I would advise that you consider what function you would like the new monsters to serve as to avoid bloating your mapset with unnecessary junk"?

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:


I might take the first "hell" map slot, but at the same time, I don't think the map I would make would even fit the bill for that theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Tarnsman said:

"I agree with the poster above me, the map appears to be a series of flat corridors which look uninteresting and are not conductive to multifaceted gameplay. Additionally the Realm667 assets appear to be thrown in rather haphazardly. If you're going to use new assets I would advise that you consider what function you would like the new monsters to serve as to avoid bloating your mapset with unnecessary junk"?

But that's the echo I was talking about, I didn't feel the need to repeat anyone.

SArais said:

I might take the first "hell" map slot, but at the same time, I don't think the map I would make would even fit the bill for that theme.

Don't worry, you don't have to make it a grand slaughterfest, just try to make it a short yet harsh introduction to the hellish slaughterfest maps.

Listed you at OP.

Share this post


Link to post

I think dumbworld is rubbing off on someone: joe's purile arrogance and track record for quality control deserve a callout, take your white knighting elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Justince said:

It's not a storm. Dew, Decay and Tarnsman for example are genuinely concerned for the success of the project, and in no way are participating in a mod-sanctioned troll campaign of Joe in his own thread.


Saying that his 1024 ABC was the best 1024 mapset and then giving him a criticism example are clearly trolling.

Share this post


Link to post

Uhh no. You guys know what you're doing. You probably don't call it "being fucking retarded" but that's exactly what it is. If you don't like the project then its none of your fucking business to be telling him what to do. You have absolutely no stake in the project whether it succeeds or flops, and everyone is 100% sure that if joeilya followed your horseshit advice religiously, you still wouldn't participate in it.

I seriously cant imagine how fucking insufferable it ought to be to try to manage a project when 80% of the threads content is a mob's effort to shut it down for seemingly no reason whatsoever. What is the energy behind this agenda besides laughing about it behind the scenes? Its fucking disgusting.

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

Uhh no. You guys know what you're doing. You probably don't call it "being fucking retarded" but that's exactly what it is. If you don't like the project then its none of your fucking business to be telling him what to do. You have absolutely no stake in the project whether it succeeds or flops, and everyone is 100% sure that if joeilya followed your horseshit advice religiously, you still wouldn't participate in it.

I seriously cant imagine how fucking insufferable it ought to be to try to manage a project when 80% of the threads content is a mob's effort to shut it down for seemingly no reason whatsoever. What is the energy behind this agenda besides laughing about it behind the scenes? Its fucking disgusting.

Thanks for your post

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

Uhh no. You guys know what you're doing. You probably don't call it "being fucking retarded" but that's exactly what it is. If you don't like the project then its none of your fucking business to be telling him what to do. You have absolutely no stake in the project whether it succeeds or flops, and everyone is 100% sure that if joeilya followed your horseshit advice religiously, you still wouldn't participate in it.

Um, akshuly! By dispensing my horseshit advice, I already participated. What's so wrong about it, by the way? Do you disagree about my general point of having to be civil if you want the other side to take your feedback seriously? Or with the particularities of the map01 critique? And if so; which one, the ilya version, or the horseshit version? Also don't you worry, I'll make extra sure you receive none of it in the future, I'd hate to offend you and your superior ways.

40oz said:

I seriously cant imagine how fucking insufferable it ought to be to try to manage a project when 80% of the threads content is a mob's effort to shut it down for seemingly no reason whatsoever. What is the energy behind this agenda besides laughing about it behind the scenes? Its fucking disgusting.

You're right, it's much more elegant to attempt to shut down a project by asking people to abandon it via PM. Clean, refined, Machiavellian!

Share this post


Link to post
Justince said:

It's not a storm. Dew, Decay and Tarnsman for example are genuinely concerned for the success of the project, and in no way are participating in a mod-sanctioned troll campaign of Joe in his own thread.

Nonsense. He claimed he could detune a zdoom map with the given features he listed, and I believe that claim was absurd, thus my posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Jaws In Space said:

Another community project falls prey to the Doominati.


It's just what we do and how we roll. It takes a special kind of evil to be able to destroy a project by saying you think its author produced the best mapset for a certain limitation. Thankfully, we possess that level of evil.

Share this post


Link to post

Is there any way to replicate the line-horizon in BOOM format? It causes graphical glitches otherwise; the other things can be worked around.

This is what it's supposed to look like, my map is expanding upon the idea that another person refined for a map.
http://imgur.com/a/47Ygc
It's mostly "void" and marble, til you reach the weird hell gate thing, then proceeds into hell theme normal. There's actually a shitload of walls in that room; the line horizon masks them and prevents the graphical glitch; thereby allowing this room to exist in a techbase.

Calling it "Abraetas" by the by.

Share this post


Link to post

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, I think you can check the first outdoor area on Map13 to see how the horizon is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Decay said:

Nonsense. He claimed he could detune a zdoom map with the given features he listed, and I believe that claim was absurd, thus my posts.

You mean to say stairs aren't similar to slopes and that coloured sectors aren't similar to the Boom behaviour of coloured sectors? How is that absurd?

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

You mean to say stairs aren't similar to slopes and that coloured sectors aren't similar to the Boom behaviour of coloured sectors? How is that absurd?

I understand you are... impaired... but come on.

joe-ilya said:

3d floors = fake 3d floors
Slopes = stairs
Swimmable areas = same
Coloured sectors = same, plus coloured textures
Reflective surfaces = fake reflective sectors

That's quite a bit more than slopes and coloured sectors. I don't believe you can do it. Take an established map and prove it.

Decay said:

Without compromising it's architecture, easter-eggs, textures, flats, or play areas, make this map boom compatible and i will take back all those mean things i said, poor bby.

Here's your resources. Aeon26 is the map (This one)

Share this post


Link to post

Haha, this thread gave me a good laugh. Anyway nice to see it finally being made. I don't even remember when I made my map.

AD_79 said:

I like that MAP05 screenshot. Good job, D0paminecloud.



Thanks AD, means a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Decay said:

I understand you are... impaired... but come on.

That's quite a bit more than slopes and coloured sectors. I don't believe you can do it. Take an established map and prove it.


Good luck on vertex slopes and the spiral staircase... Oh, and everything else.

Share this post


Link to post

I'll take slot 4, I think I'll try some sort of castle enviroment, something like those european castles close to farms and with lots of nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Deadwing said:

I'll take slot 4, I think I'll try some sort of castle enviroment, something like those european castles close to farms and with lots of nature.

Sounds proper, welcome aboard!

Outrageous Videos said:

I'll take map 31 if it's available if not map30 and if you don't trust me enough for the finale then I'll take map28 or 29

I coined you into MAP31.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×