Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chewyninja69

Looking to get a new computer, specifically to play Doom and Doom WADs...

I'm want to use my income tax return $$$ to buy a new computer. I want a computer to specifically to play Doom and Doom WADs. Any suggestion of what I should get, computer/hardware wise? Up to $1000, for example. Thanks for any help/suggestions ahead of time.
-Chewy

Anything apart from a Chromebook.

In all seriousness it's hard to give any sensible recommendation because it's a very old game now. Pretty much anything you buy should play Doom well. Even a $5 Raspberry Pi can play it at a comfortable speed.

@Ling, an Apple computer? Why would you recommend that? Those things keep your hands tied behind your back.

Get a Windows PC. Easy to use, lots of options available for playing Doom WADs on a variety of ports.

It was tongue in cheek, but in doing web development lately I've been splitting between a Mac and a Windows PC, and certain stuff on Windows is a huge pain in the ass because there's no real package manager or anything of the sort. (Not that the Mac has an official one, but homebrew might as well be, and it's certainly a lot more mature than chocolatey.)

Even the Nintendo DS (Via Homebrew) could run Doom (prBoom) so pretty much anything you can find made within the past couple decades or so should work fine. I'm pretty sure, if you look, you can find companies getting rid of old computers that can run it without breaking a sweat.

Voros said:

@Ling, an Apple computer? Why would you recommend that? Those things keep your hands tied behind your back.

Fun fact: Everybody is complaining about Microsoft's 'spyware' in Windows 10, but what nobody realizes is that macOS is far, far worse in that you basically have to log in at Apple to do anything with the system. They are spying just as much, if not even more.

Back on topic:
It would help if you said in what way you plan to play Doom. Different ports have very different requirements, so do you need hardware rendering, software rendering at high resolutions or just Chocolate Doom. Depending on this, recommendations can vary a lot.

Once again, thanks for the replies, everyone. Mucho appreciated.

Graf Zahl said:

Fun fact: Everybody is complaining about Microsoft's 'spyware' in Windows 10, but what nobody realizes is that macOS is far, far worse in that you basically have to log in at Apple to do anything with the system. They are spying just as much, if not even more.

Back on topic:
It would help if you said in what way you plan to play Doom. Different ports have very different requirements, so do you need hardware rendering, software rendering at high resolutions or just Chocolate Doom. Depending on this, recommendations can vary a lot.

Sorry for the late reply; I want to play as broad a range of Doom WADs as possible. Including maybe a slaughter map or two. Now I know some of those maps can run ridiculously hard on even the more badass of computers.

Basically, I was just curious as to what brand and/or specs I should be on the lookout for. I'm not the most techno-savvy when it comes to computers, so yeah... Any help is appreciated.

Normally a mid range system with a 2.5 GHz CPU should do, if you want to use hardware rendering you should invest some money into a dedicated graphics card, though.

While today's integrated chipsets are better than those of a few years back they still become the bottleneck. But if you do not plan to buy modern games, something like a Geforce 1050 would be far more than sufficient to run any of the hardware accelerated Doom engines at a decent speed - and those which can get slow all have problems on the CPU side where a faster graphics card won't do much.