Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

Eternity demos incompatible with PrBoom?

I'm using the OS X build of 3.40.46 right now and for some reason, whenever I make a demo in Eternity, it doesn't play back in PrBoom.

PrBoom crashes whenever it tries to play back the demo, giving the error:
"G_ReadDemoHeader: Unknown demo format 255."
This is odd because I know earlier Eternity demos have played back fine on PrBoom, but not this for some reason.
Am I doing something wrong here?

By default, Eternity writes Eternity-only demos.

The -vanilla command line option writes backwards-compatible demos, but some of the behaviour of that option is apparently a bit inconvenient.

If you want to record vanilla compat demo's you'll need to do something like
"eternity -iwad someiwad.wad -file somepwad.wad somepke.pke somethingelse.wad -record mydemo.lmp -vanilla -warp x y"

e.g: If I wanted to record a Nilla demo: "Eternity.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file Nilla.wad -record nilladem.lmp -vanilla -warp 1 -skill 4"

You can also use -longtics for 1.91 longtime demo recording.

Eternity only supports recording of its own demos and 1.9 AFAIK. It'll try and playback older formats (vanilla-MBF)
https://github.com/team-eternity/eternity/blob/master/source/g_game.cpp#L1006

Another note: some vanilla Doom compatibility demos recorded in vanilla Doom and probably in PrBoom+ too may emulate or expect the spechits overflow. Eternity only emulates that bug if a command line parameter is set. In my Eternity demo tests, I've noticed that "-spechit 0x01C09C98" should be used. So if a demo recorded for vanilla Doom desyncs in Eternity, first try adding that parameter.

grommile said:

By default, Eternity writes Eternity-only demos.

The -vanilla command line option writes backwards-compatible demos, but some of the behaviour of that option is apparently a bit inconvenient.

Wow, I'm dumb.
Well, at the very least it's nice that I know how to record vanilla and limit-removing demos under Eternity.
Too bad I can't do the same for Boom demos.
The reason I say this is because the sound doesn't work in PrBoom-Plus under Sierra.
Me and 4shockblast have both tested this out.
Still, thanks for the clearing up!