Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Original third entry in Heretic/Hexen series

Tom Hall's old site listed a third entry in the Heretc/Hexen series once that he said he worked on for the Doom engine that wasn't Hexen 2. It might've been called Herian but I'm not sure. It was supposed to have 9 classes which were all listed. I remember it mentioning development did not get very far at all. Can anyone else confirm this?

Hecatomb was the third game. It was to use the Doom engine again and had players fighting the third serpent rider Eidolon, and his infernal generals. I don't recall anything about more classes.

I'm surprised there isn't anywhere I can find that talks about it. Someone knowledgeable about it should write a Doom Wiki article or even do more research into it.

I wonder how a Quake 3 or Doom 3-era Hexen would have looked like. Guess Edge of Chaos is the closest thing to that.

Wow, first I've heard of it. Hexen came out in 1995, with Hexen 2 in 1997 (after Quake in 1996) so I never really figured they would've had the time to try to make another Doom-based entry.

Here's a link with some info taken from Romero's old site about it, now gone. Romero's also tweeted about it over the years.

Magnusblitz said:

Wow, first I've heard of it. Hexen came out in 1995, with Hexen 2 in 1997 (after Quake in 1996) so I never really figured they would've had the time to try to make another Doom-based entry.

Here's a link with some info taken from Romero's old site about it, now gone. Romero's also tweeted about it over the years.

That's sounds interesting...too bad that game never happens. :(
(But I guess it may be a PITA when making balance of all 9 classes...)

Use3D said:

Hecatomb was the third game. It was to use the Doom engine again and had players fighting the third serpent rider Eidolon, and his infernal generals. I don't recall anything about more classes.

No, that was Hexen II. I think you fight Eidolon in that.

Foebane72 said:

No, that was Hexen II. I think you fight Eidolon in that.

Um yes, because he is the third serpent rider. Obviously he would appear in both concepts of the next game. I'm sure the name Hexen II was chosen and the Doom engine dropped to appeal to more than just hardcore fans, and new technology gave the game more buzzwords to toss around and stay competitive. The progression of the serpent riders would have been retained because they are part of the overall story.