Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Idiotinfrontofadesk

Are you capable of editing floor/ceiling textures?

I already learned some really crucial things that you need to know in-order to make a full-on wad. But an issue i'm having is with textures on floors. I have to move that entire room or even map to have something like a teleporter texture not have someone with OCD to get triggered like a Tumblr SJW.

Any help with this? Any advice?

When I have a problem like this and moving stuff seems like too much of a hassle, I just create a shifted floor in MSPaint:

If you're mapping for vanilla, you can't change flat alignment at all.
If you're mapping for Boom, you can change flat alignment via well-choreographed one-time-only scrolling floor/ceiling specials.
If you're mapping for ZDoom in Hexen map format, you can change flat alignment via Sector_SetFloorPanning and Sector_SetCeilingPanning specials.
If you're mapping for ZDoom in UDMF format, you can change flat alignment directly in sector properties.

Sometimes I think there should be a 'Boom Plus' format for the obvious omissions, such as static flat displacement.

scifista42 said:

If you're mapping for ZDoom in UDMF format, you can change flat alignment directly in sector properties.

The words "for ZDoom" are surplus to requirements in the last sentence, since Eternity also supports flat alignment :P

Urthar said:

Sometimes I think there should be a 'Boom Plus' format for the obvious omissions, such as static flat displacement.

Try to get all developers of Boom compatible ports on one table and it may happen. Unfortunately for some Boom means 'won't change anything'.

Memfis said:

When I have a problem like this and moving stuff seems like too much of a hassle, I just create a shifted floor in MSPaint:

http://i.imgur.com/Q2nOdDO.png

This is the way forward, I've done it with loads of flats myself.

Urthar said:

If boom ports could have a mapinfo so I could set up my own episodes for doom2, then that would also be amazing!

Honestly, I think this problem can be easily avoided by being somewhat rigid with mapping, that is, being very aware of where on the grid you are so that, even if you implement a teleport or light flat after initial construction, you'll more than likely not have alignment issues.

Urthar said:

Some sort of universal basic DECORATE type format would also be nice. (By basic I mean it would only allow new decorations, which would presumably keep those opposed to new weapons and enemies happy).