Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Looking for a more demanding vanilla wad that back to saturn

That was the point. :) The mod was supposed to look impressive while also fitting within the limits. you won't find much more demanding out there due to the static limitations.

The only way to really bog Vanilla down, is to use a lot of textures on screen at once, but that's not computationally demanding, it's I/O demanding.

invictius are you ensnared in some elaborate Speed-esque trap where if you drop below 50 NTPD (new threads per day) you will explode

Due to how seg overflows work you could make a really complex map with lots of 2D lines that prevent you from ever actually seeing the seg overflow. I don't know how much strain that would actually cause though since Vanilla just refuses to render those in order to not chew up processing power.

It'd probably just take a really long time to load and then play just fine.

Linguica said:

invictius are you ensnared in some elaborate Speed-esque trap where if you drop below 50 NTPD (new threads per day) you will explode

lol.

that got me good.

I have an old machine laying around in my parents basement. I should see if I can't get it running. I think it might have been a Pentium 2.

How demanding is Eternal Doom? I remember being able to run it in doom2.exe. I also remember not getting past map01, but that doesn't matter.

Voros said:

How demanding is Eternal Doom? I remember being able to run it in doom2.exe.

Like it has been said, the static limits for vanilla are so low that even the least optimized renderer can deal with them easily on semi-recent hardware.

I had some fun recently with old ZDoomGL from 2004 or so, and it was perfectly fine performance-wise for any vanilla map, it only started to choke on larger stuff. And that's one of the absolutely worst performing renderers out there.